Food & Drink

pizza pan that doesn't rust / do you put pizza directly on oven rack?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 1:13 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal

pizza pan that doesn't rust / do you put pizza directly on oven rack?

Can you guys point me to a circular pan that does NOT rust? Every single one I bought eventually blackens and rusts, so annoying.

Also, a lot of those frozen pizza instructions tell you to put the pizza *directly* on the rack...that's crazy, do ppl actually do that? I'm sure it probably cooks better, but it's gonna make a mess of the oven 'floor'.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1633 posts
962 upvotes
I have a perforated one made of aluminum, but it begins to warp (not a big deal).

You can also use a ceramic pizza stone in the oven,but it takes a while longer to preheat. Bonus is it will work on your bbq too.
tranquility922 wrote: Can you guys point me to a circular pan that does NOT rust? Every single one I bought eventually blackens and rusts, so annoying.

Also, a lot of those frozen pizza instructions tell you to put the pizza *directly* on the rack...that's crazy, do ppl actually do that? I'm sure it probably cooks better, but it's gonna make a mess of the oven 'floor'.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah frozen pizza will do perfectly fine directly on rack, don't thaw it beforehand. Also unless you pile lots of extra cheese it won't drip.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Been using Pilsburys pizza pan for a while

So far so good. Very much recommend

As for the rack thing I wouldn't do that myself. But think about it if pizza doesn't make a mess on the pan why would it on the rack? Everything on pizza has been sticking together when I take it out of the oven..
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
Some of the crust sticks to the rack and I'd have to clean it eventually so I prefer a pan, in addition to blocking any falling stuff when I take it out of the oven.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33229 posts
15041 upvotes
For frozen pizzas I just place on rack. You can put foil either on the rack below (but not under the pizza) or oven bottom to prevent any mess. For pizzas I make myself I use a stone. I don't recommend a stone for frozen though as I tried it and it just sogmasters it lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2552 posts
2335 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
We have a pizza stone, they just get better over time. However, if you want good frozen pizza, you can put it on aluminum foil sprayed with a little oil and put it directly in the rack.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
Silly question, but for 'rack users', how do you take it out? Does it make a mess on your rack?

I think the foil on the lower rack is a good idea, tx.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2552 posts
2335 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
tranquility922 wrote: Silly question, but for 'rack users', how do you take it out? Does it make a mess on your rack?

I have put frozen pizza directly on the rack, but then don’t put extra cheese or anything. To take it out, I just use a pair of tongs and pull it onto the cutting board. You do it quickly so topping doesn't fall off.

Tin foil works on the bottom rack, but like I said make sure there is a little oil on the foil. You can put it on parchment but then it needs to be on the middle rack so the parchment does not set on fire. I still prefer a stone as these techniques don’t work as well for home made fresh dough, but they will work in a pinch.

On all cases make sure your oven is really hot.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33229 posts
15041 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Silly question, but for 'rack users', how do you take it out? Does it make a mess on your rack?

I typically use a large BBQ-size metal spatula. You don't need to get the whole thing just separate from the grid of the rack and then slide it out. Be sure to have a large enough plate/tray or pizza pan (lol) to put it on to. Now yeah you're still gonna need a pan or large wood board or something so you can cut the pizza. However cooking it on the rack is better any way you slice it (pardon the pun) because it makes it more crisp that way.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
Macx2mommy wrote: I have put frozen pizza directly on the rack, but then don’t put extra cheese or anything. To take it out, I just use a pair of tongs and pull it onto the cutting board. You do it quickly so topping doesn't fall off.

Tin foil works on the bottom rack, but like I said make sure there is a little oil on the foil. You can put it on parchment but then it needs to be on the middle rack so the parchment does not set on fire. I still prefer a stone as these techniques don’t work as well for home made fresh dough, but they will work in a pinch.

On all cases make sure your oven is really hot.
ES_Revenge wrote: I typically use a large BBQ-size metal spatula. You don't need to get the whole thing just separate from the grid of the rack and then slide it out. Be sure to have a large enough plate/tray or pizza pan (lol) to put it on to. Now yeah you're still gonna need a pan or large wood board or something so you can cut the pizza. However cooking it on the rack is better any way you slice it (pardon the pun) because it makes it more crisp that way.
Tx for the advice. I started this thread because I faced several annoying prbs, first w the annoying rusting pizza pan, so I needed to line it w something. I've always used foil but found it sticks to the pizza, so discovered parchment, which I've been using all this time, but the prb is that it only allows up to 425F and some pizzas require much hotter temps.

I guess I'll try 1) the pizza on foil+oil and also 2) pizza on the rack and foil on lower rack...I wonder which will turn out better?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
tranquility922 wrote: Tx for the advice. I started this thread because I faced several annoying prbs, first w the annoying rusting pizza pan, so I needed to line it w something. I've always used foil but found it sticks to the pizza, so discovered parchment, which I've been using all this time, but the prb is that it only allows up to 425F and some pizzas require much hotter temps.

I guess I'll try 1) the pizza on foil+oil and also 2) pizza on the rack and foil on lower rack...I wonder which will turn out better?
Don't put foil on lower rack, it blocks the radiating heat and your pizza will be half cooked.

Put it under the lower heating element instead and change out once in a while.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
jzmtl wrote: Don't put foil on lower rack, it blocks the radiating heat and your pizza will be half cooked.

You're right. I'll try to finally put the pizza on the rack next time.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19638 posts
6579 upvotes
Toronto
The brand of tray I use is Baker's secret. (the black one one with holes-not the silver one) It has non stick silicone coating, so burn/rust complications are greatly reduced.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4595 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
I put both frozen and freshly made pizzas directly on the rack and never have an issue. When done they just slide right off and onto my plate for cooling then cutting. When preparing fresh pizza I just take care to ensure that no cheese is too close to the edge such that it would drip down. Note though that putting it directly on the rack does make the pizza crispier, so if you don't like that then stick to a pan (pun intended).
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6685 posts
1420 upvotes
Do you have a restaurant supply store near you? My round and rectangular pizza pans are from that type of store (they’re eons old so I forget the brand) and they don’t rust at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2663 posts
1787 upvotes
London
tranquility922 wrote: Can you guys point me to a circular pan that does NOT rust? Every single one I bought eventually blackens and rusts, so annoying.
Don't confuse blackening with rust.
I'm surprised you would get actual rust, if you don't leave it wet afterwards.
Put a very thin layer of oil on after drying.
ES_Revenge wrote: For frozen pizzas I just place on rack. You can put foil either on the rack below (but not under the pizza) or oven bottom to prevent any mess. For pizzas I make myself I use a stone. I don't recommend a stone for frozen though as I tried it and it just sogmasters it lol.
Same as me.
Rack for frozen.
Stone for homemade.

I'd be hesitant to put frozen on a stone due to potential of fracturing.
Maybe it is no issue, but I'm not chancing it.
I use a peel.
You should be able to maneuver it onto a cookie sheet though.
Invert it, if the rims are an issue.
jzmtl wrote:
Don't put foil on lower rack, it blocks the radiating heat and your pizza will be half cooked.

There are specific made foil trays for this(oven floor), that are heavier duty.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4636 upvotes
Montréal
arisk wrote: Don't confuse blackening with rust.
I'm surprised you would get actual rust, if you don't leave it wet afterwards.
Not confused, both happen to my pan, it's frustrating, esp the rusting. I do wash it and leave it to air dry. Still, I'd rather not have to do any 'maintenance' on it and just get one that has zero chance of rusting.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Honestly should try a pizza screen which will give you the effect of directly-on-rack but aids removal https://www.amazon.ca/New-Star-50684-Co ... 00EAXVVCY/

Second choice would be an aluminum pan but a really thin light one (which will no doubt warp, but if you want a great crust...) The time it takes the pan to heat up really affects your crust so avoid non-stick, which are slow heating steel. You want an aluminum cheapo like a Wilton https://www.amazon.ca/Wilton-Pan-Perfor ... 0000CFN5H/

Watch out for those Delissios! They have tiny perforations in the crust and grease will drip down through the pizza bottom and smoke up your oven if you don't use a pan.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33229 posts
15041 upvotes
arisk wrote: Same as me.
Rack for frozen.
Stone for homemade.

I'd be hesitant to put frozen on a stone due to potential of fracturing.
Maybe it is no issue, but I'm not chancing it.
Uh yeahh I wouldn't worry about it cracking... If you think about it, look at the difference in temperature to begin with. Say you preheat your stone to 450F (you are probably going higher but let's just say that). So 450F to room temp is what, like 420 Fahrenheit degrees difference. Say your pizza is frozen even at -20C, that's -4F. So what like a difference of 454 Fahrenheit degrees--it's still way over 400 F degrees, either way. Now I'm no materials scientist here but I think you'd need at least 100 units of difference (another order of magnitude) to really present any issues like that. Put it another way, if you heated your stone/oven to 500F instead the room-temp pizza would be hitting the stone at more of a temperature difference than the frozen pizza on the 450F stone.

Anyway that aside the thing I find is that if you heat a frozen pizza on either a stone or a pan, the moisture from the frozen pizza don't come out easy and the pizza just ends up soggy even when the toppings are cooked; and it seems worse on a stone or at least has been my experience. That's I think a better reason not to use a stone for a frozen pizza.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)