Students

Places to buy textbooks online

[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14725 posts
4142 upvotes

Places to buy textbooks online

I'm aware of all the used textbook websites, Amazon.ca, and Indigo.ca. Is there any other websites that sell textbooks and won't kill you with shipping? I know Amazon.com ships to Canada (and considering the good exchange rate it's a good option.) Anywhere else?

There's a 10-off-50 code for Visa card holders on Amazon.ca, and there's also 15-off-150 for Amazon.com. Anyone know of any others?

Thanks.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
26 replies
Apr 5, 2005
830 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
There's a $5 gift certificate from amazon.ca that they gave out to people who preordered Deathly Hallows... so if you know anyone that preordered from amazon :cheesygri i dont know if its combinable with the visa code, but it IS combinable with other gift certificates
Feb 20, 2007
351 posts
9 upvotes
you can try www.abebooks.com

but I think you need to pay by credit card, there are quite a selection there, not neessary the cheapest around.
Aug 20, 2006
198 posts
10 upvotes
I dont know if you know about www.tusbe.com but its great for those who go to school in toronto. I just finished at utsg this year and i saved a bundle buying used books (in near mint condition) at 1/2 price or less. You usually just have to meet up with the seller on campus.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
1976 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario
try the BST forum on RFD
Aug 5, 2005
517 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Don't worry yet about the textbooks. Are you entering your first year? =P Generally most universities has an "un-official" new discount textbook store. Or your uni's school union has a used textbook area during the first week of school.

First week of school is completely NOTHING to do. xD So basically just try and enjoy the first week and meet new people and chill with your friends.
Banned
Oct 11, 2005
3950 posts
34 upvotes
Lone_Prodigy wrote: I'm aware of all the used textbook websites, Amazon.ca, and Indigo.ca. Is there any other websites that sell textbooks and won't kill you with shipping? I know Amazon.com ships to Canada (and considering the good exchange rate it's a good option.) Anywhere else?

There's a 10-off-50 code for Visa card holders on Amazon.ca, and there's also 15-off-150 for Amazon.com. Anyone know of any others?

Thanks.
where is this code? do i get it when i checkout my books?
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2007
6901 posts
261 upvotes
add the facebook group, then go to marketplace and then type in textbooks youll find what your looking for.
NINTENDO - NES SNES N64
SEGA PLAYSTATION ATARI EVERYTHING ELSE IE VECTREX Have old Games? Broken or working ! Systems games controllers guides manuals game boxes etc!!~~ I GIVE YOU MONEY ~~EMAIL me :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: Cellplanman@gmail.com
Dec 9, 2006
844 posts
2 upvotes
Mendesb wrote: add the facebook group, then go to marketplace and then type in textbooks youll find what your looking for.
+1
Buying used from students is best.
Feb 17, 2007
132 posts
1 upvote
dooly wrote: I dont know if you know about www.tusbe.com but its great for those who go to school in toronto. I just finished at utsg this year and i saved a bundle buying used books (in near mint condition) at 1/2 price or less. You usually just have to meet up with the seller on campus.
Tusbe is the best.. I've saved tons of cash + most sellers also give course notes and tests if you ask!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7559 posts
2745 upvotes
So far I bought one new book on amazon.com using a 10% off code I found on slickdeals. I also bought one used book from amazon.ca for an amazing price of $30, when the bookstore is selling the same book for $120. I also bought an international edition of a book from abebooks, which was $52 instead of the $120 the bookstore charges.

I'll probably buy the rest of my books at the end of the week. I'm just waiting for an eBay auction to end to see if I get a good price on there, and waiting to hear back from some friends. I calculated that if I buy everything on abebooks/amazon, my books will cost me $360 including shipping and taxes for the semester instead of the $800+ the WLU Bookstore wants to charge me. Plus I don't have to stand in line for an hour, or even leave my house.
Jan 10, 2007
202 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
www.abebooks.com. You could get amazing deals from them sometimes. I bought a textbook(new) from India costs $15 USD, which costs $99 CND in Canada. But the shipping is $25 USD. It's still worth it though.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2007
1295 posts
38 upvotes
BC
Hi.. Just wondering if someone who has ordered textbooks from the states can tell me if you had to pay duty/taxes? That would seem to be the only drawback for me. Why aren't there more online textbook stores in Canada??
Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14725 posts
4142 upvotes
z_24 wrote: www.abebooks.com. You could get amazing deals from them sometimes. I bought a textbook(new) from India costs $15 USD, which costs $99 CND in Canada. But the shipping is $25 USD. It's still worth it though.
Yeah the prices there are great. I'm concerned about the possible duties and reliability though.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!