• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 8:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3921 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
How much noise do these microservers produce? The drobo I currently have will only get loud if there is enough dust accumulation, other than that its relatively quiet for a small box.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8467 posts
1457 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cucumference wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 12:09 pm
Are you positive? I remember putting a 6TB drive in one and it worked. It was a few years ago so I could be incorrect. But according to their info:

https://myproducts.drobo.com/retrieve/s ... 01124.html

It clearly stated it was tested up to 4TB, and that usually doesn't mean max size is 4TB, it might also support higher, they just didn't test it.

I think the cheapest solution for you is to simply buy a cheap and bigger drive, put it in there, and see if it works. If it doesn't, then worry about buying a whole new enclosed. It is very possible that it will work with 4TB, possibly more. Since you only been using 2TB hard drives this will effectively double your capacity already. If experience is anything to go by, generally speaking, any encloser that supports 4TB usually also support up to 8TB. The limitation is usually 2TB or 8TB. Not in between.
this is the most economical solution.

This way your foot print stays the same, your power consumption stays the same, the storage gets bigger.

just maybe avoid SMR drives. The other thing to find out if its not so much that it can support a bigger drive. But is if it can support that combined larger volume of those drives.
I believe this thing has a 32tb limit. Regardless of what drives would work.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2799 posts
339 upvotes
Toronto
Zero1 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 8:40 am
How much noise do these microservers produce? The drobo I currently have will only get loud if there is enough dust accumulation, other than that its relatively quiet for a small box.
Depends on the load. Probably lots of fan noise if one were running multiple plex containers...among other services. Albeit one could disconnect any case fans if you want to prevent them from making noise.