Off Topic

Plan to reopen Ontario

1237 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2013
751 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
Finally, some light at the end of the tunnel.
Member
Jul 24, 2019
428 posts
489 upvotes
Canada
mazerbeaner wrote: All it took was one province announcing it for the rest to start following.

The one province, is it Saskatchewan? Can you compare SK to ON with respect to population, climate, density, urban areas, rural areas?
No.
Newbie
Dec 17, 2019
31 posts
26 upvotes
I think there will be 1 more month extension after May 6th, then the reopen plan phase 1 will go into place. I'm assuming it will be like the 3 phases of US.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6769 posts
6866 upvotes
Toronto
kimmelite wrote: The one province, is it Saskatchewan? Can you compare SK to ON with respect to population, climate, density, urban areas, rural areas?
No.
I wasn't comparing them though. I said it took one to start the dominoes. Quebec started talking about it too and NB.
Jr. Member
Jun 3, 2018
170 posts
250 upvotes
I'm glad. With any luck, the damage that they've been masking and trying to mitigate with all these benefits.

It'll be good to see where everything lands. That way, I can make some informed decisions.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1145 posts
1190 upvotes
Toronto
I see this going painfully slow after reading that article. And by the time they get anything really going, flu season will be right around the corner giving this virus a solid second swipe at us.

This is a mess, like my hair which is starting to look like The Fonz. :\

So much for my hopes to go fishing. I think they want to keep people from moving to rural areas if they let loose lock downs there, city folk will flock right over.

Maybe immunity cards should start to become a thing.

I said it before, Trudeau and Tam are going to press the provinces and expect them to follow the WHO guidelines for easing lockdowns.

WHO removing lockdowns
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6703 posts
2994 upvotes
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I have never been so thankful for the provincial leadership across the country to balance out the voices and opinions coming from other places. So far, I think some premiers are really standing out as showing some great leadership.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3121 posts
2488 upvotes
I think the biggest challenge for politicians when relaxing restrictions is convincing people that the risks of contracting COVID-19 will increase as restrictions are relaxed. Relaxed restrictions do not mean that we are now safe from COVID-19. It's the opposite actually - with relaxed restrictions COVID-19 cases will most definitely increase. Relaxed restrictions simply mean that we have the hospital capacity to deal with the increased number of cases.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6703 posts
2994 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: I think the biggest challenge for politicians when relaxing restrictions is convincing people that the risks of contracting COVID-19 will increase as restrictions are relaxed. Relaxed restrictions do not mean that we are now safe from COVID-19. It's the opposite actually - with relaxed restrictions COVID-19 cases will most definitely increase. Relaxed restrictions simply mean that we have the hospital capacity to deal with the increased number of cases.
This is exactly right and I think we should all remember that this was the reason why we went into any kind of lockdown in the first place. Now, in BC, our leadership is telling us that they might want to keep things locked down for a year or until there are no new cases. I don't know if that is realistic and I also think that is moving the goalposts from the original objectives. I could probably handle it if we had to go that long but I don't know what that would do to the BC economy. Our economy is more than essential services and there is a mental health component too where people need to be able to see and embrace their loved ones. Without touch and embrace and normal visits, some people are not getting the full nurture they need to feel emotionally healthy. As time moves on and our governments are bleeding out at record levels, most of my worries are now much bigger than the virus.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1145 posts
1190 upvotes
Toronto
June has been the magic number on the table for a long time. Seems on track still. A golf course or few may open somewhere in May -maybe construction with proper restrictions on site. Small businesses will start to open with spaced out seating and/or limited capacities. They have to get this going by June sometime, that's when the free money starts to end.

But I dont expect a sudden ON switch flip and everything is back up and running. A little bit here and some more there through June, July, August. All festivals cancelled until July (I'm doubtful for my yearly fav, Taste of the Danforth), amusement parks closed or opened in a very limited fashion at best.

Sept and Oct is worrisome because here comes flu season again.

The virus will still be circulating throughout the summer with cases and through the winter with a spike is my call until the vaccine is found. I did say oscillating effect.

Social distancing will maintain, travel will remain pooched in and out with heavier restrictions. Consumer confidence going on will be tepid for a while especially the Boomers and higer risk crowd not feeling overly comfy going out still.

Look outwards to the world easing their restrictions for life here. Ontario will not be innovating a new and novel approach to lifting restrictions. They will follow the WHO though, and Doug Ford seems very cautious and dovish with just going full tilt and hitting the ON switch.

He's doing a fantastic job, Doug Ford. He's not going to risk rushing it -I hope. We'll find out next week!
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
11036 posts
6197 upvotes
choclover wrote: This is exactly right and I think we should all remember that this was the reason why we went into any kind of lockdown in the first place. Now, in BC, our leadership is telling us that they might want to keep things locked down for a year or until there are no new cases. I don't know if that is realistic and I also think that is moving the goalposts from the original objectives. I could probably handle it if we had to go that long but I don't know what that would do to the BC economy. Our economy is more than essential services and there is a mental health component too where people need to be able to see and embrace their loved ones. Without touch and embrace and normal visits, some people are not getting the full nurture they need to feel emotionally healthy. As time moves on and our governments are bleeding out at record levels, most of my worries are now much bigger than the virus.
A year lockdown? BC economy goes into the tank along with Canada's. I don't even want to think about how bad things would be. Every politician that is for an extended lockdown should give up their salaries and be banned from seeing their families. Let them feel the pain. But the most troubling thing is there isn't much talk of an actual plan or goal. I'm speaking nationally here. You know when we'll have 0 cases? When there's a vaccine. That may take another year or two or never. What is plan A, B, C? Where is the testing? Where is the PPE? Just lock people up without giving them much information is not advisable. People get through tragic events through hope...with the help of family and friends. If there is none, then what are people to do?

Mental health is always being neglected and it won't change here IMO. People haven't seen loved ones in months and we have asshats suggesting that should last a year? People are scelebrating birthdays alone, holiays alone, no contact with friends and family, unable to go out and relieve stress, then have to be bombarded with 24/7 news about a virus that has a minute kill rate. An impending depression and job loss. What are these people on?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3121 posts
2488 upvotes
Coresu wrote: June has been the magic number on the table for a long time. Seems on track still. A golf course or few may open somewhere in May -maybe construction with proper restrictions on site. Small businesses will start to open with spaced out seating and/or limited capacities. They have to get this going by June sometime, that's when the free money starts to end.

But I dont expect a sudden ON switch flip and everything is back up and running. A little bit here and some more there through June, July, August. All festivals cancelled until July (I'm doubtful for my yearly fav, Taste of the Danforth), amusement parks closed or opened in a very limited fashion at best.

Sept and Oct is worrisome because here comes flu season again.

The virus will still be circulating throughout the summer with cases and through the winter with a spike is my call until the vaccine is found. I did say oscillating effect.

Social distancing will maintain, travel will remain pooched in and out with heavier restrictions. Consumer confidence going on will be tepid for a while especially the Boomers and higer risk crowd not feeling overly comfy going out still.

Look outwards to the world easing their restrictions for life here. Ontario will not be innovating a new and novel approach to lifting restrictions. They will follow the WHO though, and Doug Ford seems very cautious and dovish with just going full tilt and hitting the ON switch.

He's doing a fantastic job, Doug Ford. He's not going to risk rushing it -I hope. We'll find out next week!
If you read Sask's plan, they are definitely not simply moving to ON. Lots of restrictions. Campgrounds, for instance, at only 50% capacity. Every second park site must be left empty. No double sites can be used. No amenities like beaches, swimming pools, play structures, laundry facilities can be open. Campers have to be encouraged to use their own washrooms and if not, the campgrounds must control access to the public washrooms. So it is go to the camp ground, stay on your little site and don't associate with anyone else.

Even retail stores it's control the number of people entering the store, don't allow customers to use their own bags, encourage customers to only touch things that they want to buy, customers are forbidden from trying anything on, customers cannot place any outside bags on the cash counters (and this includes things like purses and wallets), and no exchange or return of any merchandise.

When it comes to gyms and fitness centres, they are encouraging anyone over the age of 40 to avoid them.

So definitely not "ON", and definitely a new normal.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11259 posts
1908 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote: If you read Sask's plan, they are definitely not simply moving to ON. Lots of restrictions. Campgrounds, for instance, at only 50% capacity. Every second park site must be left empty. No double sites can be used. No amenities like beaches, swimming pools, play structures, laundry facilities can be open. Campers have to be encouraged to use their own washrooms and if not, the campgrounds must control access to the public washrooms. So it is go to the camp ground, stay on your little site and don't associate with anyone else.

Even retail stores it's control the number of people entering the store, don't allow customers to use their own bags, encourage customers to only touch things that they want to buy, customers are forbidden from trying anything on, customers cannot place any outside bags on the cash counters (and this includes things like purses and wallets), and no exchange or return of any merchandise.

When it comes to gyms and fitness centres, they are encouraging anyone over the age of 40 to avoid them.

So definitely not "ON", and definitely a new normal.
Mann, if campsites open here, I'm jumping on it.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1145 posts
1190 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: Mann, if campsites open here, I'm jumping on it.
Parks Canada stated they wont open until after May 31. Campsites banned until end of pandemic, saw that on CP 24 today. Whatever End means.
Last edited by Coresu on Apr 26th, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)