Cell Phones

Plan with small amount of minutes and data for parents?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2023 1:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4241 posts
3074 upvotes
Montreal

Plan with small amount of minutes and data for parents?

I'm looking at Public Mobile's $15 plan right now, 100 minutes + 250mb which sounds good for older people's usage.

What other similar options are out there? I swear I've seen some similar plans but can't recall which brand were they under.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
5129 posts
1596 upvotes
does it matter?
jzmtl wrote: I'm looking at Public Mobile's $15 plan right now, 100 minutes + 250mb which sounds good for older people's usage.

What other similar options are out there? I swear I've seen some similar plans but can't recall which brand were they under.
Fido also has same plan. nothing is mentioned about text but I assume incoming text are free.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26970 posts
11403 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Freedom mobile probably has a similar plan or even cheaper but coverage and reliability are variable, some people have no issues, some people have constant issues. Its down to luck and what tower your using.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Mar 2, 2017
289 posts
299 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: I'm looking at Public Mobile's $15 plan right now, 100 minutes + 250mb which sounds good for older people's usage.

All the 2nd and 3rd tier providers (Koodo, Fido, Virgin, Public, Chatr, Lucky) have a variation of that plan, either as prepaid or as a "starter" plan. Differences are going to be in support, loyalty discounts, addon availability etc.

Beyond that there's options with Freedom / Shaw if you're in their coverage area. There's pay per use options like Speak Out mobile for really low usage. The $10 Virgin retentions/winback plan pops up from time to time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6036 posts
5856 upvotes
Vancouver
$30 for 3GB.

250MB will be good only for a few days usage, especially for older users who don't know how to manage data.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4241 posts
3074 upvotes
Montreal
Spinner wrote: $30 for 3GB.

250MB will be good only for a few days usage, especially for older users who don't know how to manage data.
We'll see how it goes first, they definitely don't need 3 GB, just some messaging stuff.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4846 posts
4634 upvotes
Toronto
The Public Mobile $15 is the best option if you can't get Freedom (which doesn't operate in Quebec). One nice thing about the $15 plan is that you can buy add-ons of extra data and minutes that don't expire and they get used automatically if someone goes over their normal monthly limits. With other providers, if you buy an add-on, it usually only lasts 30 days.

So say a person uses 200 mb/mo usually, but a few times a year use 400 mb/mo. Get a 1 Gb add-on for $15 and that extra data will just be subtracted from that add-on, even if it takes over a year to use it up.

I have a few family members on that plan for that reason. Note that the $15 plan works out slightly cheaper with referrals, etc. Get a referral code for the first parent, then use parent 1's referral code when signing up parent 2.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4846 posts
4634 upvotes
Toronto
Also, re: data usage, most social media apps have an option to turn off automatic viewing/downloading of videos received on social media while on mobile (only auto downloads on wifi). Do that, and tell them not to watch videos when not at home (assuming they have wifi at home), and they should be okay for 250 mb with a 1 gb add-on for the occasional overage.
Jun 21, 2008
961 posts
441 upvotes
mississauga
Spinner wrote: $30 for 3GB.

250 Mb will be gone before they blink, I suggest get a tablet plan with 4 Gb, might have to shop around, another idea is to get an e-sim capable phone and load three.com.hk $45 canadian (no tax)for 35 Gb data valid for 365 days****no voice, no text(whatsapp and imessage/facetime works), tried this back in sept in the states with iphone 13 and Public Mbile as main line, worked like a charm
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1115 posts
518 upvotes
Corunna, ON
jensen1 wrote: 250 Mb will be gone before they blink, I suggest get a tablet plan with 4 Gb, might have to shop around, another idea is to get an e-sim capable phone and load three.com.hk $45 canadian (no tax)for 35 Gb data valid for 365 days****no voice, no text(whatsapp and imessage/facetime works), tried this back in sept in the states with iphone 13 and Public Mbile as main line, worked like a charm
Don't do any of the 3hk crap with older people. They get Chinese ads, some US and Canada sites won't work without VPN. they won't know if they are using 3HK data or public data. You will be receiving constant phone calls asking why X is occurring or not working. No way. Do not.
Jun 21, 2008
961 posts
441 upvotes
mississauga
proplayer44 wrote: Don't do any of the 3hk crap with older people. They get Chinese ads, some US and Canada sites won't work without VPN. they won't know if they are using 3HK data or public data. You will be receiving constant phone calls asking why X is occurring or not working. No way. Do not.
I have the $15 PM plan, paying $8 plus tax after the loyalty, referral and credit card payment, and the three.hk planI tested it out at home and in the US and I didn't run into any issues. My use case was 1. WhatsApp 2. Facetime 3. Imessage 4. Check emails 5. most important GPS and they all work flawlessly, then I got the Koodo $35 plan with unlimited talk/text and 25 Gb data
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6036 posts
5856 upvotes
Vancouver
jensen1 wrote: 250 Mb will be gone before they blink, I suggest get a tablet plan with 4 Gb, might have to shop around, another idea is to get an e-sim capable phone and load three.com.hk $45 canadian (no tax)for 35 Gb data valid for 365 days****no voice, no text(whatsapp and imessage/facetime works), tried this back in sept in the states with iphone 13 and Public Mbile as main line, worked like a charm
Parents, especially retired ones in my experience need lots of minutes. I’ve seen them use thousands per month. They use 1-2 GB data. I’d keep it simple. Either $25 for 1GB or $30 for 3GB with unlimited minutes. Saving $5 a month ain’t worth it.
Jun 21, 2008
961 posts
441 upvotes
mississauga
Spinner wrote: Parents, especially retired ones in my experience need lots of minutes. I’ve seen them use thousands per month. They use 1-2 GB data. I’d keep it simple. Either $25 for 1GB or $30 for 3GB with unlimited minutes. Saving $5 a month ain’t worth it.
i agree wholeheartedly
Nov 16, 2014
216 posts
102 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
Spinner wrote: Parents, especially retired ones in my experience need lots of minutes. I’ve seen them use thousands per month. They use 1-2 GB data. I’d keep it simple. Either $25 for 1GB or $30 for 3GB with unlimited minutes. Saving $5 a month ain’t worth it.
As a parent who is retired, I disagree wholeheartedly. Neither my wife or I use more than 250 MB per month unless we travelling on holiday. At home, we use about 100 GB per month between us on Shaw cable. If we are out at a restaurant or cafe, they inevitably have Shaw Go WIFI. If we travelled by public transport, there may be a reason to use a small amount of data. Most of my friends have about the same usage pattern. Any of the $15 per month plans would probably be adequate and it is easy to change since the plans are month to month. Also, keep it simple.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38215 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
Pingu99 wrote: As a parent who is retired, I disagree wholeheartedly. Neither my wife or I use more than 250 MB per month unless we travelling on holiday. At home, we use about 100 GB per month between us on Shaw cable. If we are out at a restaurant or cafe, they inevitably have Shaw Go WIFI. If we travelled by public transport, there may be a reason to use a small amount of data. Most of my friends have about the same usage pattern. Any of the $15 per month plans would probably be adequate and it is easy to change since the plans are month to month. Also, keep it simple.
Not to be cheeky, but you are definitely using more than 250MB.
My parents are forbidden to use public wifi and they often FaceTime our kids and that easily surpasses 250MB a month.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6036 posts
5856 upvotes
Vancouver
Pingu99 wrote: As a parent who is retired, I disagree wholeheartedly. Neither my wife or I use more than 250 MB per month unless we travelling on holiday. At home, we use about 100 GB per month between us on Shaw cable. If we are out at a restaurant or cafe, they inevitably have Shaw Go WIFI. If we travelled by public transport, there may be a reason to use a small amount of data. Most of my friends have about the same usage pattern. Any of the $15 per month plans would probably be adequate and it is easy to change since the plans are month to month. Also, keep it simple.
I think much of it will come down to personal circumstances. My parents have a network of friends and acquaintances and they get group chat messages with videos and photos at all times of the day. In Vancouver/Richmond, some modern restaurants have shifted to QR code menus and site ordering for dine-in. Retired lifestyle often means eating out and 250MB wouldn’t last a couple days. Checking weather apps, news, GPS, or even Flipp. My parents love to listen to YouTube or podcasts during their drive. At home, it’s 90% streaming. The TV and land line serve as backup.
Nov 16, 2014
216 posts
102 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
It's all about choices for me. I never do video chats or voice chats using data when I'm not at home. I shut off automatic downloads of videos and photos for email and messaging.
Whatever we choose and whatever we can afford. I got the impression that OP wanted an inexpensive plan for minimal usage. And it is easy to change to a different plan if that isn't adequate.
Jun 21, 2008
961 posts
441 upvotes
mississauga
Pingu99 wrote: It's all about choices for me. I never do video chats or voice chats using data when I'm not at home. I shut off automatic downloads of videos and photos for email and messaging.
Whatever we choose and whatever we can afford. I got the impression that OP wanted an inexpensive plan for minimal usage. And it is easy to change to a different plan if that isn't adequate.
that's what i've been doing all these years, but finally got a decent plan with decent talk/text and data so will stick with it for the foreseeable future until either something better comes along, or my needs change.
Feb 26, 2011
209 posts
121 upvotes
Scarborough
Freedom prepaid Nationwide 180/year.

Unlimited talk and text with 5G data total per year.