Automotive

Planning on Buying a Used Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2020 5:33 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes

Planning on Buying a Used Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV)

Hoping everyone is well.

My husband and I are in the market for a used BEV (not a hybrid or plug-in hybrid). We will be trading in our 2009 Honda Fit Sport. Given that this vehicle will be our second car (the other is a gas-powered car), we have decided to purchase a BEV (not a plug-in hybrid). Also we are a household of only 2 people and do not require a crossover, station wagon or other larger vehicle. We are looking for a compact or subcompact BEV. I really like the Smart fourtwo however I am concerned about it being, as far as I know, the only manufacturer that does not offer an 8 year battery warranty (I believe Smart only offers 4).

Therefore, the Ioniq, Bolt, Soul, Focus, Leaf and E-Golf are the used BEV’s I am considering. Obviously, I love the Model 3 but I am not comfortable with the price tag. Are there any other options that I am missing? I tend to be very thorough in researching a vehicle before making a purchase. I am interested in battery efficiency, energy regeneration, low cost of ownership, quality of battery (as I hope to have this vehicle for many years), and owner satisfaction levels.

I recognize that with fuel prices as low as they are in the GTA, buying a BEV now seems foolish. My husband is insisting on it; this is one of those pick your battles moments so a BEV will be our next car. Any insight, suggestions, data sources or other resources would be appreciated. I have completed the Plug n"Drive seminar and am eligible for the $1000 incentive.

Thanks in advance,
Alon.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3122 posts
3063 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Are you in a rush? And looking for new or used?

Gas prices go up and down, just because its dirt cheap now doesn't mean it's going to stay that way.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9007 posts
10283 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Could always dump the husband.

Joking..,,sort of.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1238 posts
452 upvotes
Vancouver
Well technically its a good time to buy now with gas price being so low. Should be able to negotiate a lot more.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes
Not in a rush but hoping to purchase by summer (if I'm able to test drive at some point). Looking to buy used.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15996 posts
13901 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wtodd123 wrote: By a Bolt. I love mine!
I know OP said no PHEV’s, but even the Volt would be an extremely good option to go with, especially the 2nd gen with the longer range on battery.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13536 posts
4048 upvotes
RFD
I have an Ioniq and vote for the Bolt out of the list and conditions you are looking for. Get the Bolt.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7793 posts
5773 upvotes
Kitchener
If you want a DEAL, northern US LEAFs are cheap. Warning though - buy a BEV and you'll never want to drive your gas car again. I bought a LEAF back in 2014, now my family has owned 6 EVs and a PHEV. Everyone ditched their gas cars.

Biggest issues with the Bolt are no adaptive cruise, bad front seats and cheap plastic materials. After driving a Model 3 for a year, getting into a Bolt feels awful.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes
Can you elaborate on why you feel the Bolt is a better option than the Ioniq?
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
168 posts
6 upvotes
I think the adaptive cruise control feature is one I would really like; I use cruise control a ton when driving (even on city streets).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6131 posts
2215 upvotes
Ottawa
Rob_EV wrote: If you want a DEAL, northern US LEAFs are cheap. Warning though - buy a BEV and you'll never want to drive your gas car again. ...
I do agree that you can get good deals buying in the US (although you still have to shop around, not every US car is a great deal) but at the moment, there's no timeline as to when you could do that. Right now, unless you have dual US-Canadian citizenship, you would not be able to go to the US to pick up a car and this could last for months. (I actually purchased a US Leaf about a month ago but because of delays getting the title, I couldn't pick it up right away and during the delay, all the travel restrictions were imposed and now I have no idea when I'll be able to get it.)
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20069 posts
5460 upvotes
Good Morning
I'm a fan of the Bolt but I hate hate hate hate the seats so much. It's terrible for long trips.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6377 posts
4997 upvotes
alonm wrote: I think the adaptive cruise control feature is one I would really like; I use cruise control a ton when driving (even on city streets).
Go buy a new Tesla Model 3.

I think used BEV is overpriced since a lot of them bought it with incentives and then try to get maximum return by flipping it. Most BEV owners has not really have a need to switch cars yet since their ROI is about 10 years and getting rid of it early make the point moot.

Also, as usual, make sure you bought enough range and if you still insist buying used, check each model's dedicated forum base on how to test for healthy battery. Like a lot of Leaf and E-Golf may be in your price range ($20-$30K) but they have already lost 10-20% of battery capacity already and along with it the range you may need.

I would buy new.

Other general points:
- Tesla is the only one you can travel out of town with least hassle because wide spread superchargers.
- EV with heat pump gives you better range in winter
- If you can keep your parking area temp at 0c, it'll be kinder to the battery.
coriolis wrote: I'm a fan of the Bolt but I hate hate hate hate the seats so much. It's terrible for long trips.

#1 problem with Bolt. I just can't see how anyone over 5'8" and 130lb can be comfortable in that driver seat.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1850 posts
402 upvotes
If OP was looking at a Smart Fortwo Electric then range isn't really one of there requirements as this is a second car. The only real choice is a used 2014-2016 Chevy Spark EV. Can be found for around $11-13K. The 2014 version has 400 ft/lb of torque while the later versions toned it down to 320 ft/lb. This fits into your preference for hot hatch and also has the 8 yr battery warranty. Only drawback you may have to get one from Quebec.

-LeeBear
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6131 posts
2215 upvotes
Ottawa
Xtrema wrote: Go buy a new Tesla Model 3.

I think used BEV is overpriced since a lot of them bought it with incentives and then try to get maximum return by flipping it. Most BEV owners has not really have a need to switch cars yet since their ROI is about 10 years and getting rid of it early make the point moot.

Also, as usual, make sure you bought enough range and if you still insist buying used, check each model's dedicated forum base on how to test for healthy battery. Like a lot of Leaf and E-Golf may be in your price range ($20-$30K) but they have already lost 10-20% of battery capacity already and along with it the range you may need.

I would buy new.

Other general points:
- Tesla is the only one you can travel out of town with least hassle because wide spread superchargers.
- EV with heat pump gives you better range in winter
- If you can keep your parking area temp at 0c, it'll be kinder to the battery.

#1 problem with Bolt. I just can't see how anyone over 5'8" and 130lb can be comfortable in that driver seat.
While I can't disagree that Tesla is a great car, there's a significant different between paying $55k and $20-30k (or less). At that price you can probably get a relatively new Leaf or e-Golf (for perspective, I suspect for $30k CAD, you can probably get a 2018 loaded Leaf SL or Bolt LT from the US (ignoring the issue getting a US car into Canada right now)). I'm guessing you can probably get a 5 yr old for around $15k (in Canada, not in the USA but I haven't really paid attention to prices much).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6377 posts
4997 upvotes
michelb wrote: While I can't disagree that Tesla is a great car, there's a significant different between paying $55k and $20-30k (or less). At that price you can probably get a relatively new Leaf or e-Golf (for perspective, I suspect for $30k CAD, you can probably get a 2018 loaded Leaf SL or Bolt LT from the US (ignoring the issue getting a US car into Canada right now)). I'm guessing you can probably get a 5 yr old for around $15k (in Canada, not in the USA but I haven't really paid attention to prices much).
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/volkswagen/ ... 4&sprx=100

$26k for 2019 eGolf and 3000km? This is lower than I thought.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7793 posts
5773 upvotes
Kitchener
michelb wrote: While I can't disagree that Tesla is a great car, there's a significant different between paying $55k and $20-30k (or less). At that price you can probably get a relatively new Leaf or e-Golf (for perspective, I suspect for $30k CAD, you can probably get a 2018 loaded Leaf SL or Bolt LT from the US (ignoring the issue getting a US car into Canada right now)). I'm guessing you can probably get a 5 yr old for around $15k (in Canada, not in the USA but I haven't really paid attention to prices much).
Model 3 (even the SR+) is a huge step up from everything else available. As a secondary car you'd be fine with a LEAF, Bolt, Ioniq or eGolf. I'd steer away from the Spark, too small, too basic.
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1236 upvotes
Milton, ON
If looks don't matter, get a Soul EV. Ugly as Hell but has similar range as the Leaf and about a third cheaper. I ended up getting a Soul EV and despite it's really inefficient design (pretty much a box on wheels), drives much better than my hybrid. I do get range anxiety from time to time but luckily lived by a free supercharger for a year and have free charging at work so haven't paid a dime yet.