Travel

Planning Leisurely Vacation for Fun. Anyone else doing this?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2020 8:06 am
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
692 posts
420 upvotes
GTA

Planning Leisurely Vacation for Fun. Anyone else doing this?

I have no intention of traveling for leisure by air until 2022 or even 2023, but considering travel planning for fun, to find something I enjoy to look forward to, and so that when I do intend to travel, I'll be able to jump on it quicker as a fair amount of my in-depth planning will already be done.

Since I've very few parameters (travel time, duration, companions, cost, means of travel, etc), only aspects of the trip I'm considering are destinations under ideal or near ideal circumstances (ie. travelling during warmer months and when local shops are open, etc).

My plan is to travel throughout Europe to soak in the culture and history. Planning a vacation is half the fun in the entire vacation experience so I'm not looking for anyone's opinions or suggestions of where and what to visit. Learning French and German (not just enough to get by) would really add to the experience of planning the trip and being there.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else is also planning their leisure vacation for fun? If you are, where are you going and why? I'd love to hear it!

Btw, anyone else love planning vacations? It's like a mini-vacation in your own home!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4501 posts
3563 upvotes
I'm interested in going to Asia but they will not open up most likley until well into 2021

with the response (or lackof) in US and Europe, don't feel comfortable or even want to think about going.

though I am thinking about place like Cuba in Jan/Feb though am concerned they letting Europeans in but at least not americans or spring break crowd. but will be a last min booking if I do go in Jan/Feb
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8768 posts
3213 upvotes
Toronto
QuicKi7 wrote: I'm not looking for anyone's opinions or suggestions
Should just lock the thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2082 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
Only in my head. I just can't open any travel websites for research yet...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5033 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto
QuicKi7 wrote: ...
I'm just curious to know if anyone else is also planning their leisure vacation for fun? If you are, where are you going and why? I'd love to hear it!

Btw, anyone else love planning vacations? It's like a mini-vacation in your own home!
Absolutely...

Not.

Planning is the most annoying part of the vacation, for me. Only do the planning, and don't actually go? More like a mini-self-torture in my own home.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
692 posts
420 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: I'm dreaming of the solar eclipse, April 8, 2024. Visible from southern Ontario. The first total solar eclipse visible from Canada since 1979. You GTA people are so lucky you can make a day trip of it.
Oh! That's a really interesting event to see! I wouldn't have thought of that before, but I'll add that to my list. :)
StatsGuy wrote: though I am thinking about place like Cuba in Jan/Feb though am concerned they letting Europeans in but at least not americans or spring break crowd. but will be a last min booking if I do go in Jan/Feb
What do you find interesting about Cuba that makes you want to travel there?
Arrgh wrote: Should just lock the thread.
The portion you quoted is taken out of context.

Here's the full quote: "Planning a vacation is half the fun in the entire vacation experience so I'm not looking for anyone's opinions or suggestions of where and what to visit."

I'm interested in learning about where people want to visit themselves, not where they think I should visit. The process of finding a vacation spot is part of the joyous journey in vacation planning. The journey is the fun part.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
692 posts
420 upvotes
GTA
boyohboy wrote: Absolutely...

Not.

Planning is the most annoying part of the vacation, for me. Only do the planning, and don't actually go? More like a mini-self-torture in my own home.
Lol, I'm just a planner at heart. Planning anything is a fun experience.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15245 posts
12411 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We travel a lot.
And being retired, we are missing a big part of the stuff we looked forward to our entire lives.
Getting thru our Travel Bucket List

We were too depressed to think about travel Spring thru Summer

Now with the second wave upon us ...
We are finding day dreaming about future trips is a good way to stay optimistic

Plus for us Planning a Vacation, is almost as good as going
It’s one of the things we enjoy cuz we learn stuff
And it builds anticipation

So YES we have recently started to open all those many emails we get advertising far off places or adventures

Lol, even the ones from cruise companies

And although realistically we might not get back to actually doing any trips until 2022
When it rolls around ...
We’ll be able to hit the ground running
As we’ll have a lot of the research already done

The list we are currently exploring ...
Looking at flights, accommodations, and activities / itineraries include...
Bermuda - the UK - Italy - and another Caribbean Cruise
Although admittedly the last one, the cruise may be a pipe dream for a long time to come

Not sure which one we’ll do first
That’s something that our research will help us with after we’ve studied all 4 possibilities
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8633 posts
2556 upvotes
Mississauga
I love planning my travels, and mine is already to go! As soon as everything is back to normal I'm already heading to Japan.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1773 posts
1303 upvotes
GTA West
Normally, the planning part of the trip energizes me and motivates me to get a number of things done before our trips. E.g. for our last trip, which was going to be a little challenging for my age group, I hit the Y for a few months to build up the energy I was going to need. I also finished up some dental work and got spare glasses etc. so that those things would not bother me during our trip. I really miss not having that motivation this year.