Travel

Planning a stopover tour to Hawaii with a baby, SFO or LAX?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2017 11:15 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2012
104 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

Planning a stopover tour to Hawaii with a baby, SFO or LAX?

We are planning a trip with our 8 month old to Hawaii, thinking to do a 3-7 days stop over tour on the way, with the baby so small taking public transit probably not quite viable. I am thinking to rent a car and drive around, which city with attractions makes it easier to travel by a car?

Thanks in advance!
8 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
Never been to LAX but loved SFO and its easy enough to get around. There are trains from the airport to the city, there is decent transit within the city. Rent a car for a day if you actually want to get out of SFO but it would depend on how long you have there. You don't need a car in the city itself though. I'm not sure why you think an 8 month old can't take public transit though??
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2587 posts
1772 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Love LAX tons to do there- def rent a car.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
853 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
We fly to Mexico quite often and do everything possible to avoid LAX. It's crowded, dirty and has terrible wifi.
I've stopped in SFO twice and found it to be a pleasant experience.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
tommywangcg2 wrote: We are planning a trip with our 8 month old to Hawaii, thinking to do a 3-7 days stop over tour on the way, with the baby so small taking public transit probably not quite viable. I am thinking to rent a car and drive around, which city with attractions makes it easier to travel by a car?
LA is probably more car and baby friendly than San Fran; generally lots of parking everything.

However, not much for an 8 month to do in LA but OK for the parents - i.e. Getty Museum, Getty Villa, etc. should be a nice trip with the baby. I would skip the theme parks.
Nov 3, 2002
972 posts
93 upvotes
go to san fran. Stay downtown. You can walk to most sights.

LA you will spend lots of time driving all over and trying to find parking.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11184 posts
9672 upvotes
With an 8 month old you have to be realistic with what time you'll have each day for things ... constant changing, feedings and generally taking baby here and there is going to exhaust them quick... I Would just go to either city for 2 days or so and go ... I personally would pick la
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4679 posts
7003 upvotes
Ontario
Isn't San Francisco mostly hills? That is tiring to consider.
2021-Be more colourful and generous.😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8514 posts
1294 upvotes
I would do SFO. Pick a hotel downtown and most places are only a walk or bus ride away. Real downside imo is that it'll be costly. I carried our son on my back for our week and we had a blast (2yr at the time).

LAX you'd rent a car and drive around. Check out Hollywood, rodeo Dr, studio tours, etc. Too young for the theme parks.