Planning a trip to Los Angeles Tips?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 10:34 am
[OP]
Apr 12, 2012
49 posts
7 upvotes

Planning a trip to Los Angeles Tips?

I'm looking to travel during holidays to Los Angeles for the first time, between Dec 21-Jan 1.
Seems like the cheapest round-trip flight for that date range I can find is $680CAD. My budget for this entire trip is <$2000

Is 10 days too long for LA? Any advice on how long I should go for, where I can find cheap tickets, should I book through an agent, Is airbnb the move? Rent a car or uber/lyft? etc.

Here's what I plan to checkout while i'm there:
YouTube Space LA
Laguna beach
Venice beach/Santa Monica Pier
The Grove
Hike the Hollywood sign
Disneyland
Universal Studios
Hollywood walk of fame
Lacma lights
Griffith observatory

Food:
Try In n Out
Eat a Gainz (Acai) bowl
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8764 posts
3211 upvotes
Toronto
You need to rent a car to get around LA area.

10 days is a lot because you can cover many places in one day (e.g. only need 1-2hr at Hollywood walk of fame, and you might be disappointed).

Accommodation and parking can get expensive. You also don't need to stay at the same place, but make sure you include the parking cost.

Do sign up for free Getty Center/villa visits.

Harvey's burgers are better than the In n Out burgers.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16626 posts
6886 upvotes
Los Angeles has a lot to do - and is also close to Orange County. Both those combined mean that 10 days is not too much. While you have 10 days, if you plan to do Disneyland and Universal those will each be 1 day minimum. LA also has some interesting museums like the La Brea Tarpits.

Renting a car is ideal - your itinerary has you driving a large amount every day. Los Angeles is notorious for very poor traffic during rush hour times as well so prepare to sit and wait in traffic. Use this to also plan where to stay - Santa Monica for example will be very expensive and be quite a drive to most everything (except the pier of course).

However, if you're planning to spend less than $2000 and your flight is $680 I'm really not sure if it's going to work. That leaves you with $1300CAD for 9 nights in a hotel, admission to attractions (Disneyland itself is $100 USD I think), food, and transportation. I think that's going to make it really tough unless you're staying in hostels and skipping the expensive stuff on your list (e.g. Disneyland, Universal).
[OP]
Apr 12, 2012
49 posts
7 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Los Angeles has a lot to do - and is also close to Orange County. Both those combined mean that 10 days is not too much. While you have 10 days, if you plan to do Disneyland and Universal those will each be 1 day minimum. LA also has some interesting museums like the La Brea Tarpits.

Renting a car is ideal - your itinerary has you driving a large amount every day. Los Angeles is notorious for very poor traffic during rush hour times as well so prepare to sit and wait in traffic. Use this to also plan where to stay - Santa Monica for example will be very expensive and be quite a drive to most everything (except the pier of course).

However, if you're planning to spend less than $2000 and your flight is $680 I'm really not sure if it's going to work. That leaves you with $1300CAD for 9 nights in a hotel, admission to attractions (Disneyland itself is $100 USD I think), food, and transportation. I think that's going to make it really tough unless you're staying in hostels and skipping the expensive stuff on your list (e.g. Disneyland, Universal).
i might crash at a friend's place in Irvine
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1343 posts
451 upvotes
YYC
Take a ride down Skid Row, quite the eye opener
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3881 posts
3028 upvotes
Ottawa
If you like ethnic Vietnamese food, Little Saigon in Orange County south of LA has a lot of good eating places and decent prices.

Check out Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills when you go to Walk of Fame.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1412 posts
367 upvotes
Bedford
I would spend a couple days town Palm Dessert. Home of the Rat Pack. Just a few hours from LA. Or go north to Paso Robles wine country.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1588 posts
655 upvotes
London
The four of us (46,46,18,15) are going to LA on Saturday...yeah! We aren't doing any of the amusement parks. We are going on a four day cruise out of long beach. We are also doing a drive by of the Fox Plaza (Die Hard), Hollywood Stars, Rodeo Drive, Malibu, El Matador State Beach, Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Marina del Ray.

We are also doing a Hollywood sign hike. This one:

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/bes ... sign-hike/

Have fun!

We are flying out of Detroit on Spirit for about $627USD including luggage for four of us. The drive to DTW is well worth it for us. People bad mouth spirit, but we really like it, newer planes, seats that don't recline, luggage costs more to carry on than to check it so it tends to be faster getting off the place etc.

Purchase Price

Flight Price $671.60
PromoCode -$294.00
Bags $120.00
Government's Cut $129.92
Total $627.52
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1588 posts
655 upvotes
London
Importz wrote: Take a ride down Skid Row, quite the eye opener
Wow...the street view of the corner of San Pedro and E 5th St is an eye opener...I don't think my kids need to see that.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1719 posts
415 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Drakestar wrote: The four of us (46,46,18,15) are going to LA on Saturday...yeah! We aren't doing any of the amusement parks. We are going on a four day cruise out of long beach. We are also doing a drive by of the Fox Plaza (Die Hard), Hollywood Stars, Rodeo Drive, Malibu, El Matador State Beach, Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Marina del Ray.

We are also doing a Hollywood sign hike. This one:

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/bes ... sign-hike/

Have fun!

We are flying out of Detroit on Spirit for about $627USD including luggage for four of us. The drive to DTW is well worth it for us. People bad mouth spirit, but we really like it, newer planes, seats that don't recline, luggage costs more to carry on than to check it so it tends to be faster getting off the place etc.

Purchase Price

Flight Price $671.60
PromoCode -$294.00
Bags $120.00
Government's Cut $129.92
Total $627.52
very good tip.
<No political content in signatures>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7107 posts
4272 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I love Disneyland, but you couldn't pick a worse time to go there. Wall to wall crowds at that time of year.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
just got back from Lasangelas last week as wife had a conference there at the convention centre downtown and our hotel was downtown as well
first time in LA
- first off we got return ticket for 380 via aircanada direct flight ...
rented a car there avis..avis shuttle picks you up at terminal and drops you off at avis rental..we had it for 24 hours as we returned it to the avis down town LA where our hotel was
as soon as we got rental car went to santa monica pier,,stayed there a couple of hours..water too cold to go in...you can find parking by the hour there ...next down the road venice beach for an hour
...than drove to Griffiths conservatory...wanted to do the hike but was getting dark..so went into Griffith conservorty over looking LA and saw fewthings inside..parking was expensive there ...free if you park at the bottom...
- next day had to return car..saw the LA Clippers Game at staples centre exhibition game...walking distance from hotel..next day went to game one LA Dodgers-Atlanta ..took subway..very cheap from downtown...had to put a tap card for 2.00 and each way was 1.75
next day went to Hollywood and saw Hollywood walk of fame stars....also did the tour bus thing seeing where celeberties live...shows you rodeo drive where people shop etc..was 2 hours long...last day before the airport rented a car from downtouwn and returned the car at the airport..for renting shop around as lots have extra charge irf returning car to different location...so went to hollwood sign,,,parked and its 6 dolars an hour to park..for the hike,,best to put 4 hours in...as it took 1 and a bit to get the holly wood sign,,and another hour and a bit back...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6722 posts
2596 upvotes
Montreal
Getty Museum is a must if you like that sort of things.
Free tours, and free parking if you stay under an hour (you'll want to stay longer though)

Santa Monica beach was one our favorite spot to just chill or walk around.