Travel

Planning to visit the Golden Triangle in India is December. Requesting advice on hotels and transportation

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 2:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1896 posts
22 upvotes

Planning to visit the Golden Triangle in India is December. Requesting advice on hotels and transportation

I am travelling to India (New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) from December 12-18. As I have never been, I am wondering if other RFD'ers have made this trip and if so could give some recommendations on places to stay or how you got around the city.

Dec 12 - 14: New Delhi

Dec 15-17: Agra

Dec 18: Jaipur

I am looking at packages from travel agents which include transportation and hotels and it is very expensive ($600 CAD/person).
Whatchu know about ice cream?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4536 posts
556 upvotes
Calgary
In India it all depends on the level of hotel you want and what you are prepared to tolerate
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Dec 31, 2017
14 posts
2 upvotes
I have done this several times. In Delhi, Metro takes you almost everywhere (right from the airport to downtown for approx. $1). Your best bet would be to stay near a metro station. Metro is air conditioned and very reasonable and safe. You can get a taxi for whole day for approx. $20 for up to 80KMs.(plus pay for parking which is nominal). Avoid staying in Old Delhi (very congested). In Agra, get the tour from UP govt. available at Railway Stn and it takes you to Red Fort, Taj and Fatehpur Sikri (Touts etc. will show the same itinerary, saying govt approved, etc. but costs you a lot.) Govt tour prices are fixed. Take a morning train to Agra and see the place and stay in Agra. Next day take a deluxe bus to Jaipur (Volvo) - approx. 4 hours. you can spend two in Jaipur seeing forts etc.
In Delhi, try AirBnb. In Jaipur, accommodation is reasonable. Delhi airport has pre-paid taxis. Most Indians use this. You pay and get a ticket and at the end of journey hand the ticket to Taxi driver. Most railway stations and airports have prepaid taxi or tuk-tuk booths. I use them always. Also, get some Indian currency from here. Rates are not favorable for converting into rupees at Delhi airport. Hope this helps!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1896 posts
22 upvotes
TravellerA wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 6:00 pm
I have done this several times. In Delhi, Metro takes you almost everywhere (right from the airport to downtown for approx. $1). Your best bet would be to stay near a metro station. Metro is air conditioned and very reasonable and safe. You can get a taxi for whole day for approx. $20 for up to 80KMs.(plus pay for parking which is nominal). Avoid staying in Old Delhi (very congested). In Agra, get the tour from UP govt. available at Railway Stn and it takes you to Red Fort, Taj and Fatehpur Sikri (Touts etc. will show the same itinerary, saying govt approved, etc. but costs you a lot.) Govt tour prices are fixed. Take a morning train to Agra and see the place and stay in Agra. Next day take a deluxe bus to Jaipur (Volvo) - approx. 4 hours. you can spend two in Jaipur seeing forts etc.
In Delhi, try AirBnb. In Jaipur, accommodation is reasonable. Delhi airport has pre-paid taxis. Most Indians use this. You pay and get a ticket and at the end of journey hand the ticket to Taxi driver. Most railway stations and airports have prepaid taxi or tuk-tuk booths. I use them always. Also, get some Indian currency from here. Rates are not favorable for converting into rupees at Delhi airport. Hope this helps!
Thanks for this information!
What recommendations do you have to travel from Delhi to Agra to Jaipur? Is it worth taking a train or should I look into private cars? I will be travelling with two other people so we have have a fair amount of luggage.
Whatchu know about ice cream?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1815 posts
898 upvotes
flyingdutchman wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:00 am
Thanks for this information!
What recommendations do you have to travel from Delhi to Agra to Jaipur? Is it worth taking a train or should I look into private cars? I will be travelling with two other people so we have have a fair amount of luggage.
Going by road would be more reliable and also give you the flexibility. There are expressways to both Jaipur and Agra from Delhi. They should be much more faster than taking a train.
Dec 31, 2017
14 posts
2 upvotes
My preference is Railways or AC bus. Gate 1 travel also has land only packages and they are not bad. Booking a car rental from a hotel could be expensive. Most of the time out of town expenses of drivers are included in the rental. Even with Indian people taxis or car rentals try to charge more than what is agreed upon (tolls, more mileage or extra stops). You may like to arrange a car rental from a separate agency.
Eating at Food courts in a shopping plaza is safe as well as at international or local food chains.
Storing luggage in trains or buses is not a problem. However, Indian cars or taxis are also small - not much storage capacity. For Delhi tours, for three people, a car rental would be. Most people speak English in Delhi (with an accent and some British pronunciation) and are helpful.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4455 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Honestly, just spend 1 day in Agra, see the Taj Maha;l and than get the heck out of dodge. Send as much time in Jaipur as possible, truly a cultural marvel and located in one of the least populated states.

New Delhi is nasty, avoid if at all possible.

Lots of scammers in Agra trying to pawn random stones.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Dec 31, 2017
14 posts
2 upvotes
You may like to spend a day at Bharatpur Bird sanctuary approx. 1/2 hour drive out side Agra towards Jaipur. Half a day will be sufficient. Avoid buying any stuff in Agra. One is pitched "capets made by orphans", phony certificates. Suggest do your shopping at Cottage Emporium on Janpath in Delhi (Connaught Place) where things are a bit expensive but genuine and gvt guaranteed. Agra's Red Fort is better than that of Delhi's if you are pressed for time avoid Delhi' red fort.