Cell Phones

Plans covering both US (Michigan) and Canada, what are the options and which is best?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 1:37 am
[OP]
Aug 17, 2021
8 posts
5 upvotes

Plans covering both US (Michigan) and Canada, what are the options and which is best?

No particular requirements, I would be alright with a bare talk and text plan with some data thrown on but obviously I would prefer to find a deal with unlimited talk+text and high data for cheap if possible. I just want to know what the best options are if I want coverage in both Detroit and Windsor. Are American carriers the way to go with this? Should I look into GoogleFi? Are there any Canadian deals you know about?

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by DesiredUsernamev on Dec 4th, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1456 posts
2028 upvotes
Waterloo Region
ji2o0k wrote: AT&T prepaid babbbbyyyyy!!!

Check out this thread to see if a fella RFDer can hook yooooooouuuu uppppzzzzz!!!

walmart-us-t-t-plans-canada-us-mexico-usage-2291042/

Tho keep in mind that the 18+7Gb Walmart AT&T prepaid plan is no more - but you can always get a newer AT&T prepaid plan
+1 for the above, however, keep in mind that your ATT # will mean an international call for your Canadian callers. So your best bet is to park your Canadian number with a VoIP provider such as Fongo or VoIP.ms (and maybe forward the calls to your US number), or if you're got a dual sim capable phone like a newer iphone, you could get a cheap talk n text Canadian like a d use ATT for data.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2021
8 posts
5 upvotes
Apparently the only ATT prepaid plan available now starts at $60 USD/month

You guys got any alternatives?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
DesiredUsernamev wrote: Apparently the only ATT prepaid plan available now starts at $60 USD/month

You guys got any alternatives?
Check out the links from @batcave above.

According to the latest AT&T Prepaid promotional material, the "Super value" $40 monthly plan, with 15GB monthly data allowance, gives you full roaming privileges in Canada.

It'll give you the same benefits as the old Walmart US AT&T plan, for the same monthly cost. Except that you'll get 15GB, as opposed to 25GB previously (inclusive of the bonus data under the old deal).

When AT&T bill your monthly plan fee, you'll additionally be charged US State tax. With the State tax levied based upon the area code of your number.

You can consider reducing the cost by joining an RFD member's multi-line group. That's if you don't mind sacrificing your control over your number.

Alternatively, if you go it alone and pay your own bill, you can save money by purchasing prepaid reload vouchers. Target US are a good place to buy them - when they're on sale (Black Friday, etc), you'll typically get them at 10% off. That's a good time to stock up upon them, by purchasing a 12 month advance supply.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5721 posts
4187 upvotes
LaLaLand
Another place to buy AT&T airtime refills is callingmart.com. There is no tax and if you sign up for the marketing emails, there are 5% or 10% off codes on a regular basis.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
A couple of other benefits with an AT&T number,

Effectively you'll get two numbers. As you'll be eligible to obtain a Google Voice number.

And with your AT&T data, you'll have a genuine US IP address. For usage with Netflix US, HBO Max, Hulu, etc.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻