Plant based chicken at KFC - one day only Nov 27

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 6:38 pm
17 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
Chicken sandwich would be interesting, but their popcorn chicken may as well be vegan already with the amount of batter.
That's not to say I won't order it still since the batter is delicious, but I'm not entirely sure it actually contained chicken in the first place.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1334 posts
132 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Chicken sandwich would be interesting, but their popcorn chicken may as well be vegan already with the amount of batter.
That's not to say I won't order it still since the batter is delicious, but I'm not entirely sure it actually contained chicken in the first place.
I remember in the past their Popcorn chicken did contain traces of actual chicken bits in it. It was insignificant amount and it was still 90% batter, but it was real chicken at least... nowadays its some odd foamy white substance that most cheap chicken nuggets are made out of, maybe even worse.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7663 posts
4574 upvotes
Mississauga
Drove by the location around 5:30 and the KFC red colour had been changed to green, and people were lined up to get in. Security guard standing by the door too.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6867 posts
2864 upvotes
At 1 point in time (a long time ago), an article I read said that on a per gram basis, KFC's popcorn chicken was the single most unhealthy item on any large fast food national franchise menu (in terms of calories & fat). I think its a lot of batter & chicken skin, without much actual chicken, could be wrong though
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14735 posts
10887 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Just like any other chinese restaurants with their sweet and sour pork....all batter no pork.
HP_John wrote: At 1 point in time (a long time ago), an article I read said that on a per gram basis, KFC's popcorn chicken was the single most unhealthy item on any large fast food national franchise menu (in terms of calories & fat). I think its a lot of batter & chicken skin, without much actual chicken, could be wrong though

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
Some things are just plain wrong....
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
23624 posts
31109 upvotes
Toronto
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8915 posts
2851 upvotes
Mississauga
Shouldn't even be called chicken, because it's not.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14471 posts
243 upvotes
Mississauga
I prefer other plant-based food....like Doritos and Miss Vickies !
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3959 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
Aug 5, 2020
KFC Canada announced today that Plant-Based KFC sandwiches will be available permanently coast-to-coast beginning August 10. After an incredibly successful pilot with plant-based partner Lightlife® in 2019, vegetarians and flexitarians everywhere can now experience KFC's delicious taste at their local restaurant.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/a ... 22854.html
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1222 posts
226 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
oicthat2013 wrote: Aug 5, 2020
KFC Canada announced today that Plant-Based KFC sandwiches will be available permanently coast-to-coast beginning August 10. After an incredibly successful pilot with plant-based partner Lightlife® in 2019, vegetarians and flexitarians everywhere can now experience KFC's delicious taste at their local restaurant.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/a ... 22854.html
I look forward to trying it.
May 28, 2012
11696 posts
4238 upvotes
Saskatoon
Just curious if this plant-based product is fried in the same oil as their actual chicken pieces?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18751 posts
5703 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: Just curious if this plant-based product is fried in the same oil as their actual chicken pieces?
It wouldn't surprise me one bit!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31270 posts
17843 upvotes
Toronto
the picture shows a big piece, I wonder what is in real life Smiling Face With Open Mouth