• Jun 4th, 2019 1:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4143 posts
2929 upvotes

Plant ID

In the fall I sprinkled a wildflower mix. I'm now wondering if these are weeds or flowers... initially I was thinking baby's breath but dont think so anymore. It's really hard to ascertain what's a weed and what's not with this wildflower mix
Images
  • 20190530_155839.jpg
  • 20190530_155845.jpg
24 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4143 posts
2929 upvotes
Ohhh that's so disappointing. I stronly advise NOT to use McKenzie seeds. My flowerbed is full of weeds now.

https://mckenzieseeds.com/products/wild ... urpose-mix

Contents: Calendula officinalis, Centaurea cyanus, Erysimum cheiri, Leucanthemum maximum, Coreopsis tinctoria, Cosmos bipinnatus, Cynoglossum amabile, Delphinium consolida, Dianthus barbatus, Digitalis purpurea, Echinacea purpurea, Eschscholzia californica, Gypsophila elegans, Linum grandiflorum rubrum, Linum perenne, Lupinus perennis, Cynoglossum amabile, Malope trifida, Papaver rhoeas, Rudbeckia hirta
May 28, 2012
11142 posts
3277 upvotes
Saskatoon
To be fair, this plant can make upwards of 15k seeds in a single season and remain viable for seven or more years in the ground, so it was likely in your soil already. My one beef with McKenzie seed this year, bought what was labeled as holy basil and it ended up being the common one.

Do a google search of what the young seedlings of each of the wildflowers look like so you don't inadvertently take them out (or in your case, cultivate a common weed).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4143 posts
2929 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: To be fair, this plant can make upwards of 15k seeds in a single season and remain viable for seven or more years in the ground, so it was likely in your soil already. My one beef with McKenzie seed this year, bought what was labeled as holy basil and it ended up being the common one.

Do a google search of what the young seedlings of each of the wildflowers look like so you don't inadvertently take them out (or in your case, cultivate a common weed).
Hmmm it's possible but doubltful and I'll tell you why. I had absolutely no stinkweeds in any of my flowerbeds for the last 3 summers. Last fall I converted my lawn to a flowerbed and I did put down Scotts Premium soil, which was absolute garbage so it could have been from that but again, I don't think so think because in efforts to fill up the space I sprinkled teh McKenzie seeds there and on the boulevard where I did NOT put down the Scotts soil.

I just finished digging up 1/2 compost bin of stinkweed plus other plants which I'm now 99.9% sure are weeds. I have none of this these types of weeds in the backyard or my other 4 flowerbeds. I'm so disappointed and mad...to pay $10 for a bag of weeds that I then have to spend hours upon hours digging up.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4687 posts
2416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hope OP doesn't mind me asking for help IDing this flower.

I wanna say it's a coneflower, but not 100% sure, or what type.

Anyone know?
Images
  • 20190602_141336.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9229 posts
3564 upvotes
It's cornflower a.k.a bachelor's buttons
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15445 posts
12647 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JRGUINNESS wrote: Hope OP doesn't mind me asking for help IDing this flower.

I wanna say it's a coneflower, but not 100% sure, or what type.

Anyone know?
Don’t think it’s a cone flower, as no distinct cone like say Echinacea

I just use Google Images to find out such things when I don’t know

In this case you are dealing with purple, which is one of the rarest colours, so makes searching easier

Google : Purple Flowers, and you find websites like this one
https://www.flowerglossary.com/purple-flowers/

I agree with @JRGUINNESS looks like possibly a Monarda or Lily of the Nile
(UPDATE - Not Lily of the Nile ... leaves don’t match up)

All of which have entries on Wikipedia if you want to see pics & info

A lot of times it not so much the flowers that help make the determination, As it is the foliage ... leaf shape & colouring can be truly distinct
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jun 2nd, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15445 posts
12647 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lecale wrote: Monarda doesn't come in blue and they don't have a centre. It doesn't look anything like Lily of the Nile.

It is however 100% a Centaurea cyanus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea_cyanus
Yup... no mistaking that photo
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur ... r_Blue.jpg

That’s indeed it

@lecale when you first said Bachelors Button... I thought of this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur ... er_-_3.jpg
Flower definitely has a different appearance in full bloom than in Spring
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9229 posts
3564 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Yup... no mistaking that photo
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur ... r_Blue.jpg

That’s indeed it

@lecale when you first said Bachelors Button... I thought of this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur ... er_-_3.jpg
Flower definitely has a different appearance in full bloom than in Spring
It's just a little straggly because it's in the shade I think. If it had full juice of the sun, it would be fluffier.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4143 posts
2929 upvotes
lecale wrote: Monarda doesn't come in blue
I was thinking that as well except it looks purple to me. I agree, I think it's cornflower... I should have known that off the bat since I have some lol

Actually come to think of it I don't think mine have even started blooming it.
Last edited by hierophant on Jun 2nd, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9229 posts
3564 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I was thinking that as well except it looks purple to me. I agree, I think it's cornflower... I should have known that off the bat since I have some lol
Monarda can come in up to purply-pink, but they don't come any bluer than that, sort of like roses. I just said blue because "cornflower blue" was in my head. You're right, it is purple.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4687 posts
2416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
God damn I love RFD.

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the help!

Now that I know its not a weed, I'll move them to the real garden.

Trying to save the bees and completely re doing my garden this year.

Coneflowers and rudbeckia are best apparently.

Even bought a bee Hotel!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9229 posts
3564 upvotes
JRGUINNESS wrote: Now that I know its not a weed, I'll move them to the real garden.
lol technically it is: it's called Kornblume (= grain flower) in German because it infests the wheat fields there. Undeniably pretty though: a bouquet of wheat stalks and cornflowers is a classic flower arrangement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4143 posts
2929 upvotes
JRGUINNESS wrote: God damn I love RFD.

Even bought a bee Hotel!
That was one of the main rationales for me converting my lawn to a flowerbed - I have mostly native pollinator perennials. I'm still learning a lot about gardening (had no experience prior to buying a home) - it's so much fun and very therapeutic (for me) but it yeah is challenging to figure out what's a weed and what's not. Last year I inadvertently pulled out all the seedlings thinking they were weeds (totally forgot I sowed seed). So this year I promised myself to wait and see before pulling anything out ...they all turned out to be all weed lol. I've decided going forward I will not be doing seeds anymore (except for a couple of annuals - Zinnias in particular). I'm pretty much set though at this point for perennials and shrubs - got most of my flowers from family/friends or people dividing their plants...some just give them away for free. If you're still looking for more flowers check out Kijiji rather than going to big box stores or wait until October when they're heavily discounted.

What's a bee hotel?
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4687 posts
2416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well if anyone is in Etobicoke, and looking for either coneflowers (purple I think) or rudbeckia (black eye Susan), I have so many seedlings that I'd like to give away. I broad cast them into old broken planters last fall (as they need cold stratification) thinking only a few would make it. I was wrong. Haha

I have put all that I need into beer cup's, so the rest are up for grabs if anyone needs.

They don't flower the first year, but do every year after.
Images
  • 20190602_182718.jpg
  • 20190602_182709.jpg
  • 20190602_182644.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4687 posts
2416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hierophant wrote: What's a bee hotel?
Pretty much as it sounds. A safe place for bees to make a home close to flowers.
Images
  • 20190602_183517.jpg
May 28, 2012
11142 posts
3277 upvotes
Saskatoon
JRGUINNESS wrote: God damn I love RFD.

Even bought a bee Hotel!
I know this plant to be centaurea montana aka perennial bachelor's button. It was an aggressive thug in my garden and took a number of years to eradicate. It's not a bad plant, but I didn't like the huge amount of coarse foliage in relation to the relatively sparse flowers.