• Apr 30th, 2016 8:07 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes

Planting vegetable seeds yet?

Anybody plant their vegetable seeds yet?

I was looking at planting some pole beans, carrots, and some seed potatoes but am not sure if I'm too early.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
549 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
The 7 day forecast in Ontario will be mostly cool, so I will wait until there are 3 warm days in a row to heat up the soil. If you are near Windsor or Niagara, you can start earlier.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Dec 19, 2011
550 posts
223 upvotes
Most seed packages have a timeline for planting relative to the last frost date. In London, Ont the usual last frost happens early/mid May and I plant small plants outdoors May 2-4 weekend.

Carrots and Beans sprout in 7-14 days, Potatoes 14-28 days. The time to plant is now! An egg carton with dirt is great for seedlings.

My garden consists of mostly tomatoes and peppers, with some beans, carrots, peas, cukes, pumpkins. I start my peppers in February, Tomatoes in March, and everything else whenever I can. All my sprouts are doing great so far. Next, when I find the time I will plant my herbs for my outdoor garden. I also have an indoor herb garden with Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and soon Mint.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1033 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
If planting directly into the ground you could do raddish, spinach and kale now (they like cool weather).
Everything else (carrots, beans, potatoes) I would wait until the end of May, including cukes, squash and pumpkins since they don't like to be transplanted but will do well and take off quickly once planted.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1033 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
One thing to remember is not to plant tomatoes and potatoes in the same locations, using a 3 year cycle.
Oct 23, 2011
369 posts
501 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
I've already planted spinach. Tomorrow I am going to plant strawberries and lettuce. Next weekend I am going to plant beans and tomatoes.

The 14 day forecast is all above zero starting tomorrow morning.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1033 posts
405 upvotes
GTA
spookstaz wrote: The 14 day forecast is all above zero starting tomorrow morning.
spookstaz wrote: I've already planted spinach. Tomorrow I am going to plant strawberries and lettuce.
Are you planting in strawberry plants? There's no rush on strawberries as they produce very little fruit the first year - second and subsequent years - look out as they love to spread!
spookstaz wrote: Next weekend I am going to plant beans and tomatoes.
You should make a plastic cover for your tomatoes. Think something like a mini greenhouse, to keep them warm at night.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4127 posts
929 upvotes
Sask.
Don't know where you are, but we need at least another month.
Oct 23, 2011
369 posts
501 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
westcoastyvr wrote: Are you planting in strawberry plants? There's no rush on strawberries as they produce very little fruit the first year - second and subsequent years - look out as they love to spread!
Yes yesterday I bought a 9-pack of strawberry plants from Botanix for $10.99 and this weekend I am going to plant them in rail planters on top of my patio fence. If the temperature drops back below zero I'll temporarily bring them back inside. I read that if you cut off at least 50% of the runners the plants will produce more fruit on the first year.
westcoastyvr wrote: You should make a plastic cover for your tomatoes. Think something like a mini greenhouse, to keep them warm at night.
Yeah good idea. I will be planting my tomatoes into a 6 inch raised bed. My city, Kirkland, is giving out free tomato plants on May 7th! I might go shopping and see if I can get a couple cloches (transparent glass coverings).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6295 posts
703 upvotes
BC
Hard to give advice on this when you dont give location.

I've planted everything.. including tomato plants. BC weather is great, we've already had temps up to 30.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes
Keelie wrote: Hard to give advice on this when you dont give location.

I've planted everything.. including tomato plants. BC weather is great, we've already had temps up to 30.
London ontario