Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1214 posts
626 upvotes
Montreal

Plastc Card - up to 20 cards in one

https://www.plastc.com/

Just saw that on... Facebook LOL

Looks pretty nice, but the price is not that cheap at all (155 USD), and it's still a pre-order

Discounted price of $155 ($25 savings)
Free lifetime subscription to Plastc Services ($50/year savings)
Two-year warranty (Additional year of coverage)
Proprietary Charger
Card Reader
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2009
1184 posts
854 upvotes
It won't work in Canada. It basically uses a programmable magnetic strip to make a copy of your card, but machines in Canada are almost all chip and pin. It's pretty much the same technique credit card thieves would use to clone cards. Banks are moving to chip and pin so cards can't be cloned.

While Plastc comes with a chip, they say it won't work at launch. It requires Plastc to have a relationship with the payment networks and banking institutions, basically a partnership. If it took the big 5 almost 2 years to negotiate with Apple, how long do you think it will take to speak to a tiny startup?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1214 posts
626 upvotes
Montreal
Didn't get that point, as they were saying it will work everywhere and of course in Canada
But you are right, if no chip compatibility, gonna be hard to let the store use it here, or maybe just contactless
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2004
1572 posts
168 upvotes
Delta
habsfan321 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2016 11:23 am
It won't work in Canada. It basically uses a programmable magnetic strip to make a copy of your card, but machines in Canada are almost all chip and pin. It's pretty much the same technique credit card thieves would use to clone cards. Banks are moving to chip and pin so cards can't be cloned.

While Plastc comes with a chip, they say it won't work at launch. It requires Plastc to have a relationship with the payment networks and banking institutions, basically a partnership. If it took the big 5 almost 2 years to negotiate with Apple, how long do you think it will take to speak to a tiny startup?
The video does show a chip interface on the card. Their website also says EMV will be supported but not at launch. Realistically who knows when they will be able to work out the needed arrangements with the instituitions. Not really useful in Canada until they do.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5603 posts
2205 upvotes
Kingston, ON
ben85deals wrote:
Aug 7th, 2016 11:31 am
Didn't get that point, as they were saying it will work everywhere and of course in Canada
But you are right, if no chip compatibility, gonna be hard to let the store use it here, or maybe just contactless
I think it would "work everywhere" with a US-issued card. Americans with mag stripes only can still use their cards in Canada (though many issuers have moved to chip and signature). But I don't think it would work for Canadian chip&PIN issuers' cards.
Jan 19, 2007
900 posts
401 upvotes
Torontario
quote from the site:
Contact EMV
Plastc Card is built with the hardware to support EMV payments however support for EMV will not be available at launch. EMV requires Plastc to have relationships with payment networks and banking institutions to be able to support that technology. Firmware updates will enable this technology.
La la la ....
Dec 22, 2007
409 posts
174 upvotes
Mississauga
Nice idea but same issue as Apple Pay android pay etc. all need bank support

Really cool idea and wish would work. Cancelled my order about a week ago
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1409 posts
247 upvotes
Montreal
ben85deals wrote:
Aug 7th, 2016 11:06 am
https://www.plastc.com/

Just saw that on... Facebook LOL

Looks pretty nice, but the price is not that cheap at all (155 USD), and it's still a pre-order

Discounted price of $155 ($25 savings)
Free lifetime subscription to Plastc Services ($50/year savings)
Two-year warranty (Additional year of coverage)
Proprietary Charger
Card Reader

it looks cool and entertaining to watch :)
but with phones all soon being able to do payments, since I'm already carrying one, this new product would just be an extra device to carry around
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
986 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Not sure I see the problem. Every machine I have seen that takes pin cards, still has a swipe option.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1214 posts
626 upvotes
Montreal
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 9:01 pm
Not sure I see the problem. Every machine I have seen that takes pin cards, still has a swipe option.
Every single time I have tried to swipe, the machine said declined, use chip :-/
Dec 22, 2007
409 posts
174 upvotes
Mississauga
Problem is that the swipe tells the cash register that the card has a chip at which point the cash register will ask for the chip.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4260 posts
1688 upvotes
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
and probably every one of those machines will prompt to use chip when it detects that the card you just swiped is a chip card.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1023 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
ilove wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 2:25 am
EmperorOfCanada wrote:
and probably every one of those machines will prompt to use chip when it detects that the card you just swiped is a chip card.
I believe chip and pin terminals still have a fallback if the chip is damaged/not working. The way it works is you insert the chip into the terminal and the machine will say "chip error. please try again". At that point you remove and reinsert the chip and again the terminal will not detect the chip. You may have to repeat the remove/insert 3 times, however, after the third attempt the machine should request that the mag stripe be used.

I've had this happen to me on a few terminals when my chip was failing.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1600 posts
638 upvotes
ON
Definitely don't see this business lasting long.
Doubt it could catch on with most potential customers in the states having apple and android pay as choices.
This card is cool cause it seems you are not giving out your card info to big brother but you have to pay a hefty sum to use the card when apple and android pay are free...
FAIL