• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2018 7:46 am
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa

Plate Renewal in Ontario

It's that time again and I need to get a new sticker for my cars. Was going to do it online but I forgot so now I have to go to a Service Ontario shop. No big deal.
While I was online, I noticed that there are 2 prices for plate renewal. Southern and Northern Ontario. The price difference is large, it costs twice the price in Southern Ontario compared to Northern Ontario. I know that Drive Clean is not required by the folks that live in Northern Ontario and I guess it is because they have more trees to absorb the pollution that cars and trucks cause.
Anybody know why is is less to get a sticker up north?
https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-licence-plate-sticker
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
25 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Pete_Coach wrote: It's that time again and I need to get a new sticker for my cars. Was going to do it online but I forgot so now I have to go to a Service Ontario shop. No big deal.
While I was online, I noticed that there are 2 prices for plate renewal. Southern and Northern Ontario. The price difference is large, it costs twice the price in Southern Ontario compared to Northern Ontario. I know that Drive Clean is not required by the folks that live in Northern Ontario and I guess it is because they have more trees to absorb the pollution that cars and trucks cause.
Politics, do not want lose votes...

MTO spokesperson Ajay Woozageer gave an answer to The Star:

“There are several reasons that Northern Ontario residents pay reduced vehicle licensing fees. Operating costs for all types of vehicles are substantially higher in the north, as are transportation costs.

“A small population, thinly spread over a large area and a more extreme climate are further contributing factors to an economic disparity between the north and the rest of Ontario.”

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
One argument I heard many years ago is that less money is spent on road maintenance up north than down here, hence why licence stickers were cheaper (back when the sticker fee actually went into MTO’s road maintenance budget).
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
Over the years I have heard various reasons for this.

1. The lack of public transit up north makes owing a personal vehicle an absolute necessity and the government wants to provide some subsidy for this.
2. People who chose to live in north despite less inhabitable conditions need every bit of encouragement hence this political gesture of reduced fees.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
mrweather wrote: One argument I heard many years ago is that less money is spent on road maintenance up north than down here, hence why licence stickers were cheaper (back when the sticker fee actually went into MTO’s road maintenance budget).
That's BS. With the weather up there I would be surprised if they don't spend more per car up there then down south. As it typically goes, the wealthy populated areas subsidize the rural areas. Urban areas votes also count for less than rural areas (more people per riding).
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: That's BS. With the weather up there I would be surprised if they don't spend more per car up there then down south. As it typically goes, the wealthy populated areas subsidize the rural areas. Urban areas votes also count for less than rural areas (more people per riding).
Well, I do think they spend more per car up north too as there are fewer cars.
Prices have almost doubled since 2011 and Wynne said it will remain at that level until 2018 so, we re-elect her and the price will go up again :)
"The money from sticker renewal fees goes into general revenues, which support all government investment, including transportation infrastructure"
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e31536444/
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
Drive Clean isn't required outside city boundaries, generally.

Sticker has gone up, but only reverting to where it should've been with inflation I believe. It was low a long long time.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1389 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Pete_Coach wrote: It's that time again and I need to get a new sticker for my cars. Was going to do it online but I forgot so now I have to go to a Service Ontario shop. No big deal.

Why can't you do it online? I missed my renewal by a few weeks and I did it online still.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
amkorp wrote: Why can't you do it online? I missed my renewal by a few weeks and I did it online still.
I wanted my sticker now and didn't want to wait for it in the mail.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
Pete_Coach wrote: I wanted my sticker now and didn't want to wait for it in the mail.
Why? Can't you just use the paper receipt if you get pulled over.
Apr 26, 2010
923 posts
187 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Random question but my bike's plate has been expired for a few months now. How does renewing it work, would they somehow price it cheaper?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
lennyandcarl wrote: Why? Can't you just use the paper receipt if you get pulled over.
?? Geez, the topic is the difference between southern and northern Ontario, not why I did what I did. :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
RedLego wrote: Random question but my bike's plate has been expired for a few months now. How does renewing it work, would they somehow price it cheaper?
LOL, no. That makes no sense at all. If it did, we'd all "forget" to renew out plates and get cheaper rates.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: LOL, no. That makes no sense at all. If it did, we'd all "forget" to renew out plates and get cheaper rates.
Actually, I think that the price you pay for the plates will be pro rated to what is remaining till your next birthday.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Pete_Coach wrote: Actually, I think that the price you pay for the plates will be pro rated to what is remaining till your next birthday.
I've forgotten before and I'm pretty sure I paid full price. You'd only pay less if your car wasn't in service.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: I've forgotten before and I'm pretty sure I paid full price. You'd only pay less if your car wasn't in service.
I bought a car in October of one year and only paid October till May...my birth month.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Pete_Coach wrote: I bought a car in October of one year and only paid October till May...my birth month.
That's right, but that's different than being late with your already registered car. It's like missing a rent payment, you still owe money for the time you were there.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: That's right, but that's different than being late with your already registered car. It's like missing a rent payment, you still owe money for the time you were there.
I am not sure of that.
I would think that if not plated, it is not on the road and plating it would be from the time you get the plates. What if I took my car off the road for 8 months to do some mods and paint or was away, would I be liable for all the time it was not driven?
Anyway, I am not sure but it would seem odd to have to pay for plates like back rent. :)
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
494 upvotes
Rockwood
You have to pay the full year even if you're 'late' with your payment. The only way I can think of around this is to surrender your plates.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Pete_Coach wrote: I am not sure of that.
I would think that if not plated, it is not on the road and plating it would be from the time you get the plates. What if I took my car off the road for 8 months to do some mods and paint or was away, would I be liable for all the time it was not driven?
Anyway, I am not sure but it would seem odd to have to pay for plates like back rent. :)
You'd have to de-register your car if you didn't want to pay. Not sure what the process is. Maybe you have to give back your plates and it would cost you more to get new ones when you re-register.