• Nov 20th, 2018 3:10 pm
[OP]
Feb 10, 2016
58 posts
149 upvotes
toronto

Plate Sticker Renewal

Hey guys,

Just got the letter in the mail saying I need to renew my sticker for January 2019 and It doesn't require an E-Test.

My question is regarding the renewal. Since they are removing the E-Test in April 2019, wouldn't that include the removal of stickers too?

Shouldn't I just wait until April anyway so I don't have to pay the renewal fee? I don't drive much and when I do it isn't very far so I think I could survive until April.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
1033 posts
30 upvotes
Validation stickers are not being removed, you still have to pay for a new one. They are only getting rid of the drive clean test requirement.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8938 posts
5230 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
You still have to register your plates. You gotta pay to play.

As for E-Test, yes they are getting rid of it April 1, 2019. Any suckers like me still have to do it, but at least the first test is free. I did it already (January expiry). Waste of time.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 16, 2011
992 posts
655 upvotes
HAMILTON
Etest cancellation has absolutely nothing to do your the license plate on your car or the sticker.

You are legally required to buy a new sticker for your vehicle or quit driving it.

What on earth would have given you the idea that the etest cancellation meant that you no longer have to get the yearly/bi yearly sticker for your car.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2016
58 posts
149 upvotes
toronto
luckystrike1 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:27 pm
Etest cancellation has absolutely nothing to do your the license plate on your car or the sticker.

You are legally required to buy a new sticker for your vehicle or quit driving it.

What on earth would have given you the idea that the etest cancellation meant that you no longer have to get the yearly/bi yearly sticker for your car.
Just thinking logically here. The sticker is based on doing the drive clean test and showing that your vehicle isn't polluting the environment. Since that test is getting removed why keep the sticker?

Does not make sense to me, and thanks for your answer.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
Koenza wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 9:18 am
Just thinking logically here. The sticker is based on doing the drive clean test and showing that your vehicle isn't polluting the environment. Since that test is getting removed why keep the sticker?

Does not make sense to me, and thanks for your answer.
OMG.... Logically??? It's common sense why you need plate stickers and getting a sticker was only if you passed the etest. Do you think there were stickers before etest? Do you know what a sticker is for? How old are you?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Feb 10, 2016
58 posts
149 upvotes
toronto
koffey wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 9:44 am
OMG.... Logically??? It's common sense why you need plate stickers and getting a sticker was only if you passed the etest. Do you think there were stickers before etest? Do you know what a sticker is for? How old are you?
Clearly not old enough to get angry at a simple question. You need to relax.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
Koenza wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 9:47 am
Clearly not old enough to get angry at a simple question. You need to relax.
It's not anger, it's shock that this is even a question and you called it logic.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5340 posts
1219 upvotes
Mississauga
simple answer...

The sticker has absolutely nothing to do with drive clean test.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2016
58 posts
149 upvotes
toronto
koffey wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 9:49 am
It's not anger, it's shock that this is even a question and you called it logic.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Thanks Ducky, didn't know that the sticker had nothing to do with the drive clean test.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6109 upvotes
Toronto
Koenza wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 9:57 am
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Thanks Ducky, didn't know that the sticker had nothing to do with the drive clean test.
lol, says the guy with flawed logic.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 28, 2007
152 posts
75 upvotes
I think a lot of people get confused with this. Getting the sticker is kind of like paying a tax to be able to drive your vehicle. I don't know what that money goes towards but I'm guessing its something like admin costs of running the MTO and/or paving roads maybe.

The e-test was just a prerequisite to getting the sticker. As is proof of insurance and if its a new registration a safety certificate is needed as well.

The sticker is just proof you've paid your fees for the car.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2016
58 posts
149 upvotes
toronto
phantom_911 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:04 am
I think a lot of people get confused with this. Getting the sticker is kind of like paying a tax to be able to drive your vehicle. I don't know what that money goes towards but I'm guessing its something like admin costs of running the MTO and/or paving roads maybe.

The e-test was just a prerequisite to getting the sticker. As is proof of insurance and if its a new registration a safety certificate is needed as well.

That makes sense. I didn't know much about the sticker always thought it was for the drive clean test.
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2017
2192 posts
673 upvotes
Hi OP are you from another province?

I believe it's more like a visual indication that you renewed your plate/paid the annual fee.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33494 posts
7528 upvotes
Ottawa
phantom_911 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:04 am

Actually, adding the e-test requirement to every other year vehicle registration was only for ease of record keeping for people living in Southern Ontario. An easy way to ensure that it was done. It was not a per-requiste.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.