None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto

platinum amex worth it?

anyone have one, and have they used for the AMEX and priority express lounges? is it worth the fee?

---------EDIT-------- Oct 9-2016

hi guys so just wanted to note my experience with the Platnum Amex:

1) Line by pass at Pearson was epic. The line was an hour long/deep, I just walked right through. However when I got to the screening line, there were a few people in it and pretty sure they weren't platinum holders. I was a bit confused by that as I thought the Platinum people get their own line. Regardless, I got through security in about 3 minutes total.

2) Priority pass/Lounge Access:
I went to the one at Pearson, Plaza Premium lounge. It was alright. It wasn't very busy. They give you free beer and alcohol. Limited selection. Not much in the way of service though. The guy that checked me at the reception was also the guy that would walk around and help one other staff member clean up, serve alcohol, etc.
They had some food, and soup. The food was actually not bad. They had some curry chicken and rice that I filled up on and I was happy with it and so was my wife. Good selection of pop, juice, etc. All free which is nice and some other snacks.

3) Lounge Access in Athens - I could have gone to the Swiss port or the Aristotle Onasis lounge. I went to the Aristotle one. Same thing, they had some food, and mini sandwiches. Also free beer and alcohol as well.

I had a lay over in Heathrow, but didn't have enough time to make it to the lounge there :(

The only thing that sucked was that I arrived at Athens airport at 8am and my flight was at 1:30pm, I couldn't check in as I was too early ( I had no choice as I flew in from Santorini in an early flight). Anyway, I couldn't use the lounges as I couldn't get through security with my suit cases.. so I basically had to wait in the airport until I could check in for my flight and bag drop.

Last point about AMEX:
I had called AMEX to get a quote on a car rental. I never accepted it and emailed them saying I don't like the price and I will pass - as I was chatting/emailing back and forth with AMEX agent... So anyway while on my trip the car rental company shows up at my hotel with the car and says its ready... I'm like wtf I didn't order any car, nor did I pay or accept the rental.. The Hertz guy was confused but he got the point and left....
That was a bit irritating having to deal with that as I was down at the beach and the hotel guys came down to get me about this. So that was the only thing that was annoying. I might call Amex to complain but I don't know if it's worth it.
Last edited by daivey on Oct 9th, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
274 replies
Apr 16, 2013
10 posts
yes.. have a corporate Amex Plat... good for lounges at Pearson and for free valet at Pearson with 15% off parking.. (still expensive, but worth it as a time saver on holiday). Also great for line bypass at security.

The Concierge is great for getting into some restaurants and bars, bottle service, etc. and planning events.

Have been in a couple other lounges and still paid to use them but Amex allowed access in first place. Considering it is a business expense for the card and I get personal benefits, it is my alternate credit card for this reason!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1375 posts
1303 upvotes
Montreal
daivey wrote: anyone have one, and have they used for the AMEX and priority express lounges? is it worth the fee?
Way worth the fee just because of the 200$ travel credit x 2 (can use it in 2016, and again in 2017), and of course the 75 000 points if 1000$ spent within 3 months (by referal)

Free PP access for a year for you + 1 guest is the cherry on the cake haha :)
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
ben85deals wrote: Way worth the fee just because of the 200$ travel credit x 2 (can use it in 2016, and again in 2017), and of course the 75 000 points if 1000$ spent within 3 months (by referal)

its only free for 1 year? i didn't see that.. whats it after?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
daivey wrote: anyone have one, and have they used for the AMEX and priority express lounges? is it worth the fee?
* $699 - $200 travel credit per calendar year = $400 credit.
* Platinum status at Fairmont hotels for five nights in a year = 2 suite upgrades, 2 room upgrades, $100 dining/spa certificates, Passions certificates for additional dining or gift cards, minimum $150 = $250 + value of suite upgrades
* Access to Priority Pass and Amex airport lounges = worth lots to me to not be around screaming kids in regular departure lounge and access to bar and snacks
* 60,000 Membership Rewards points = 60,000 Aeroplan

Worth it? It is for me.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
ben85deals wrote: Way worth the fee just because of the 200$ travel credit x 2 (can use it in 2016, and again in 2017), and of course the 75 000 points if 1000$ spent within 3 months (by referal)

how do i get the 75,000 points?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote: * $699 - $200 travel credit per calendar year = $400 credit.
* Platinum status at Fairmont hotels for five nights in a year = 2 suite upgrades, 2 room upgrades, $100 dining/spa certificates, Passions certificates for additional dining or gift cards, minimum $150 = $250 + value of suite upgrades
* Access to Priority Pass and Amex airport lounges = worth lots to me to not be around screaming kids in regular departure lounge and access to bar and snacks

Worth it? It is for me.
how easy it to take advantage of those upgrades?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
daivey wrote: how easy it to take advantage of those upgrades?
Very. We don't stay at Fairmonts without them and we generally only have to use the suite upgrades, hardly ever use the room upgrades. My wife also has status so we have four suite upgrades between us.

The great thing with Fairmont is that you book the suite when you make the reservation. It's not a matter of getting it if available at check in like it is with some hotels.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
daivey wrote: how do i get the 75,000 points?
If you apply without a referral you get 50,000 points. If someone refers you they get 25,000 points and you get 75,000 points.
Conquistador wrote: * $699 - $200 travel credit per calendar year = $400 credit.

Worth it? It is for me.
Hmmm ... can you still get those Fairmont upgrades even if you book it through Priceline or something? :) ... this may influence a future hotel stay decision :D
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
daivey wrote: its only free for 1 year? i didn't see that.. whats it after?
It's "free" for a year assuming you get the card only for 1 year (as most people are not going to keep it after 1 year and pay $699 again the next year without that sweet 75k bribe they give you for signing up).

The "worth it" equation is very easy for year 1.

Ongoing it very much matters how much you value all the perks ... much less people will keep the card ongoing than just get it and use the perks for 1 year and then cancel before 2nd $699 gets charged.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Banned
Jun 8, 2016
7 posts
10 upvotes
[QUOTE]Hmmm ... can you still get those Fairmont upgrades even if you book it through Priceline or something?[/QUOTE]

Generally they only apply to stays booked through the company, so Fairmont. Same thing happens with fine hotels program if you use priceline/hotwire.
@CanadaDealsCo - Deals & Coupon Codes - Curated for Canadians
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
ssimmi wrote: Generally they only apply to stays booked through the company, so Fairmont. Same thing happens with fine hotels program if you use priceline/hotwire.
Sorry to hijack ... one more Q ... can you use the $200 travel credit to book via Amex directly at a hotel property? I assume yes? And then you'd be eligible for the upgrades?

I wouldn't mind spending "full price" if I'm getting $200 off, but otherwise Priceline might be a bigger savings than getting an upgrade.

Priceline should qualify for normal TripFlex point redemptions though still, right?
Banned
Jun 8, 2016
7 posts
10 upvotes
ace604 wrote: Sorry to hijack ... one more Q ... can you use the $200 travel credit to book via Amex directly at a hotel property? I assume yes? And then you'd be eligible for the upgrades?
Yes, definitely, it's done through Amextravel.ca and I did the exact same thing.
ace604 wrote: Priceline should qualify for normal TripFlex point redemptions though still, right?
Yup, priceline does qualify!

Side note: The 75,000 referral bonus appears to be ending at the end of the month, so get on this if you want the card!
@CanadaDealsCo - Deals & Coupon Codes - Curated for Canadians
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4005 upvotes
BC
ssimmi wrote: Yes, definitely, it's done through Amextravel.ca and I did the exact same thing.

Side note: The 75,000 referral bonus appears to be ending at the end of the month, so get on this if you want the card!
Thanks and thanked ... I have the card, well ... it's in the mail (if Canada Post doesn't strike) :D

Applied/approved last night and just planning out my summer redemptions and benefits usage ... might back off on plans to use some SPG points stays and use the $200 credit instead and see what the deal is with the Platinum upgrades instead :D
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24156 posts
5822 upvotes
where I belong
As everything in life, IT DEPENDS :)
and it's Priority Pass, in case you'll Google it
as others said, it depends on your travel pattern. If you don't travel say > 3 times a year to use the lounges, it's not THAT beneficial
ssimmi wrote: Yes, definitely, it's done through Amextravel.ca and I did the exact same thing.

It's only speculation that 6/29 may impact either 75K points welcome or 25K referral bonus ......
There's no guarantee anything will change, or it'll simply revert back to 15K referral bonus
We'll know in 2 weeks, but if one wants one, yes, apply by 6/29
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Sep 6, 2010
766 posts
92 upvotes
Waterloo
jerryhung wrote: It's only speculation that 6/29 may impact either 75K points welcome or 25K referral bonus ......
There's no guarantee anything will change, or it'll simply revert back to 15K referral bonus
We'll know in 2 weeks, but if one wants one, yes, apply by 6/29
Is there more info on this 6/29 thing? Haven't been keeping up to date at all recently, and been procrastinating applying for Business Plat.
Nov 26, 2012
720 posts
126 upvotes
I applied late May and got it in early June. I have a trip coming up in July so this is perfect. I will be using the lounges in 5 different airports with a guest thus making the priority pass benefit well worths it. Then booked a hotel through the Amex website and already spent the $200 travel credit. Received 75000 points a few days after I charged the air tickets to the card. The hotel I booked is about the same price as what I saw on other websites, but since it's part of the fine hotel and resort program, there will be free breakfast buffet everyday, free room upgrade (depends on availability), 4 checkout, early checkin (but I won't need it) and €85 credit for food and drinks at the hotel. Because the hotel is charged to the card so it's automatically enrolled in hotel burglary insurance. Travel medical insurance is also included for the cardholder and families. Then there are also all the insurance for flight delay, baggage loss etc.

We will also make sure of the concierge service to book restaurants for us in the countries that we will be visiting.

So for me, the card is worth it. At least for the first year.
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
Conquistador wrote: Very. We don't stay at Fairmonts without them and we generally only have to use the suite upgrades, hardly ever use the room upgrades. My wife also has status so we have four suite upgrades between us.

The great thing with Fairmont is that you book the suite when you make the reservation. It's not a matter of getting it if available at check in like it is with some hotels.
Fairmont hotels are quite expensive. Any tips/promos for accumulating the 5 nights required for Fairmont Platinum status the cheap way ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2971 upvotes
ace604 wrote: Hmmm ... can you still get those Fairmont upgrades even if you book it through Priceline or something? :) ... this may influence a future hotel stay decision :D
If you find a cheaper price somewhere else you can call Fairmont Reservations and see whether they will match. They have, I believe, recently introduced a BRG program. I did this a few months ago for a stay in California that was advertised on Jetsetter. Ultimately ended up in touch with the property itself to match the rate and negotiate an upgrade to an even better suite than what the suite upgrade was designated for. YMMV but it's not impossible and never hurts to ask.
Flitox wrote: Fairmont hotels are quite expensive. Any tips/promos for accumulating the 5 nights required for Fairmont Platinum status the cheap way ?
See response above.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3989 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote: If you find a cheaper price somewhere else you can call Fairmont Reservations and see whether they will match. They have, I believe, recently introduced a BRG program. I did this a few months ago for a stay in California that was advertised on Jetsetter. Ultimately ended up in touch with the property itself to match the rate and negotiate an upgrade to an even better suite than what the suite upgrade was designated for. YMMV but it's not impossible and never hurts to ask.

See response above.
one last question for me

the points are 1.25 per $ spent. how does the redemption work?

so if I have 10,000 points is that $100 in travel? or is it some weird combination of air miles + taxes, etc, and they come up with some random number???

for example with my mastercard world elite, it's 10,000 points = $100 in travel.. so I buy my airplane ticket with the mastercard on expedia, the charge shows up and then I can apply the points.