Automotive

Play it safe (Toyota, Honda) or not (Volvo, MB) cross-over?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2021 12:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 30, 2019
68 posts
38 upvotes

Play it safe (Toyota, Honda) or not (Volvo, MB) cross-over?

I've driven Toyotas and Hondas all my life and currently looking to upgrade from my 2012 Rav4. Nothing is mechanically wrong with it. Just looking from something newer.

I can play it safe and get another Rav4 but the one I like is a 2021 Hybrid XSE which is close to 50K all in. I can also get a CRV. However, I really like the look of the Volvo XC60s. I can probably get one that's two/three years old for around $50K. I'm also looking at the MB GLB250 which looks great for my family. That would also run me around $50 for a one year old model.

Any thoughts? Basically looking for a smallish SUV that will fit nicely in the garage. Should I play it safe or throw my hat in the luxury car ring?
Last edited by ironman77 on Apr 19th, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
79 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16743 posts
15190 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$50k for a Rav4???? Insanity!!!
[OP]
Apr 30, 2019
68 posts
38 upvotes
I know eh? It's the Hybrid XSE+tech package. Blew my mind....
EP32k2 wrote: $50k for a Rav4???? Insanity!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16743 posts
15190 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ironman77 wrote: I know eh? It's the Hybrid XSE+tech package. Blew my mind....
so not worth it. Sorry, but that's crazy money for a crossover that doesn't drive great with mediocre performance. I just don't get how people can justify buying these. Test drive the Volvo and Merc if you haven't. I just can't fathom paying that much for a Japanese car LOL, but that's just me.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22116 posts
3345 upvotes
Toronto

you should get a Volkswagen then!!!

Jk - but honestly, some of the VWs have very nice driving feels..................I've driven Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas & VW sedans and feel that VW sedans have the best driving experience. Don't know about SUVs though....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3771 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
You can go luxury and still play it safe going Lexus and Acura.

With a Volvo and MB, while they can still be very reliable, your day-to-day maintenance will still cost more than the Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura. So you weigh out what matters to you the most.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
2230 posts
136 upvotes
Isn't Volvo literally one of the safest if not the safest car brand out there?
Nov 10, 2019
305 posts
228 upvotes
Sepiraph wrote: Isn't Volvo literally one of the safest if not the safest car brand out there?
Yes! IMO I'd pick Volvo if I'm looking to upgrade from toyota/honda. Safe, reliable, way better features bang for buck compared with Jap cars.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16743 posts
15190 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thephenom wrote: You can go luxury and still play it safe going Lexus and Acura.

With a Volvo and MB, while they can still be very reliable, your day-to-day maintenance will still cost more than the Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura. So you weigh out what matters to you the most.
Acura is not luxury. Pseudo luxury maybe and they are not reliable as people love to perceive. Honda is crap now.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2019
68 posts
38 upvotes
I meant play it safe from a reliability and cost of repairs point of view. Sorry for the confusion.
Sepiraph wrote: Isn't Volvo literally one of the safest if not the safest car brand out there?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6762 posts
7089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'd probably put my name on the rav4 prime waitlist, if there was no hurry
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
2230 posts
136 upvotes
ironman77 wrote: I meant play it safe from a reliability and cost of repairs point of view. Sorry for the confusion.
Yea I knew what you meant but thought it was funny to point out. :)
Dec 1, 2014
203 posts
174 upvotes
Burlington, ON
EP32k2 wrote: Acura is not luxury. Pseudo luxury maybe and they are not reliable as people love to perceive. Honda is crap now.
@EP32k2 is right.

Acura = premium, Lexus/MB/BMW/Volvo = luxury.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4580 upvotes
Montréal
I suppose like many I've only had experience w Japanese and German offerings. I'm intrigued by Volvo also, quite exotic (to me) and they seem pretty solid/safe/good rep. MB is relatively ho-hum imho.

YOLO and I don't think you'd be going so 'risky' like you're doing bungee-jumping, it's a Volvo, not like you're buying a Lada haha. Go for it!
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6776 posts
5559 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: YOLO and I don't think you'd be going so 'risky' like you're doing bungee-jumping, it's a Volvo, not like you're buying a Lada haha. Go for it!
Risky is only if he thinks owning MB/Volvo for 8 years like his last RAV4 and have the same operating cost.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4587 posts
2114 upvotes
There are so many Highlanders/RAV4s and Pilot/CRVs on the road because ... All roads lead to Toyota / Honda.

Same with Camry/Corolla and Accord/ Civic. People look at the prices, the specs, the value, and we end up with Toyota / Honda.

As already said above.... If you keep a Volvo for 8 years, it's going to be more expensive than a Toyota.

So go and buy a Mazda.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2701 posts
1995 upvotes
Markham
EP32k2 wrote: so not worth it. Sorry, but that's crazy money for a crossover that doesn't drive great with mediocre performance. I just don't get how people can justify buying these. Test drive the Volvo and Merc if you haven't. I just can't fathom paying that much for a Japanese car LOL, but that's just me.
Welcome to the land of crossovers, overcharge everyone and hope all people do is focus on monthly payments. The freaking Chevy Trax Premier(the trim is finally gone) that I was using for a while as the errand car was a $30K car...even though the driving experience was worse than a cheap Chevy Spark. The Mazda 6 I'm currently using is actually cheaper, more roomy, faster, more fuel efficient, more comfortable and much better equipped than that $30K Trax. Blows my mind how bad a $30K CUV is today, rewind even 15 years ago and you got at minimum something decent for that amount of money.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16743 posts
15190 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JeganV wrote: Welcome to the land of crossovers, overcharge everyone and hope all people do is focus on monthly payments. The freaking Chevy Trax Premier(the trim is finally gone) that I was using for a while as the errand car was a $30K car...even though the driving experience was worse than a cheap Chevy Spark. The Mazda 6 I'm currently using is actually cheaper, more roomy, faster, more fuel efficient, more comfortable and much better equipped than that $30K Trax. Blows my mind how bad a $30K CUV is today, rewind even 15 years ago and you got at minimum something decent for that amount of money.
Yup manufacturers are literally cashing out on these stupid crossovers. Shitty drivetrain, poor handling, and make sure it’s “practical” and people will buy it. I can’t believe some of the garbage that people are actually buying. Like the Venue. Seriously WTF is that shit.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4322 posts
4484 upvotes
GTA
Mercedes. Treat 'yo self.