• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 12:18 am
[OP]
May 11, 2007
101 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Playground Slide for Back Yard

I want to build a playground for my kids (5 and under, but to use for a few years), in Toronto. I'm finding a lot of 4' slides at (somewhat) reasonable prices but want to go 5' or more. I'm still working during this quarantine (Retirement Home) and don't get much time to be active with them, but thought a playground would be great for the backyard.

I've been sort of thinking along the lines of a 5 ft deck height slide to start (10 ft long) like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/playst ... 6?rec=true

Maybe that's a reasonable price (571$) but it seems very high to me considering there's 4 ft slides in the 100-200 range like here: https://www.rona.ca/en/straight-slide-3 ... tore=41450

I thought I'd leave room to get one of those twisting tube slides later and a 7 ft deck with a climbing wall later.

I know stock is an issue out there, but any ideas? Are there any playground supply companies that have a better rate? My searching found it was worse. I was hoping to spend 300 or less on this starter piece of equipment and then expand from there as room and time and money permit!

I've done a ton of searching but maybe someone knows of something I missed (or misread).

Thanks so much!
3 replies
May 19, 2019
81 posts
57 upvotes
My family use to have one. It is a set with a treehouse, 2 swings, and a decent large slides. There is also a small climing wall at the back. We bought it from another family, disassembled by my husband (together with the dad from the seller's family), and picked it up by our truck. The structure was amazing, and my son enjoyed it with kids nextdoor together for two years until we moved. It only costed us $120, and was really enjoyable memory for my son - he was 4 1/2 when we had it.

I would suggest look for a pre-owned one, as these items are priced too high. It does not make much difference for an used one, if you have a handyman.
[OP]
May 11, 2007
101 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn’t say I’m a handy man but I can figure things out.

I’ve been looking for used on kijiji. I’m happy to just start with a slide and haven’t seen much. I’m sure lots of people are hunting for playgrounds there too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll continue to look there as well.
Aug 19, 2003
406 posts
18 upvotes
Markham
Did you have any luck finding a slide? I am also searching but pretty late to the party. all sold out from what I can tell!