Parenting & Family

Playgrounds Reopening - Will You Let Your Kids Go?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4607 posts
1837 upvotes
GTA

Playgrounds Reopening - Will You Let Your Kids Go?

So in Ontario most of the province has either already entered stage 3 or will be tomorrow. This means that playgrounds will be reopening in many jurisdictions and I wanted to know if other parents will be allowing their kids to go and play? If so, what precautions would you take, if any?
11 replies
Dec 12, 2005
881 posts
311 upvotes
Richmond
In BC, playground has been opened for a while now. When my kids go out to play, I ask them to wash their hands as soon as they come home. When they see their friends at the park, they talk but socially distanced.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4607 posts
1837 upvotes
GTA
ai_c wrote: In BC, playground has been opened for a while now. When my kids go out to play, I ask them to wash their hands as soon as they come home. When they see their friends at the park, they talk but socially distanced.
Are your children able to keep their hands away from their faces while there and before washing? I think that's what is worrying us the most right now.
Jun 23, 2006
383 posts
146 upvotes
We bring hand sanitizer with us to the playground. They come in for a squirt every 10 min. Of course, distancing and full decontamination when we get home (wash hands, strip clothes in laundry).
Dec 12, 2005
881 posts
311 upvotes
Richmond
Kids are a bit older, elementary kids, so they know and are aware of what is going on right now.
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
We only take our 5 year old when it's empty, or one other family we know (we can see the playground from our house). Sanitizer immediately after, and routine reminders to not touch his face.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3825 posts
2376 upvotes
Ottawa
The_Professor wrote: Are your children able to keep their hands away from their faces while there and before washing? I think that's what is worrying us the most right now.
Yeah there isn't much chance of limiting that. If they touch another kid who has it or touched the same part of the playground yes they will be exposed. Mostly it seems like they still won't get it, mostly if they get it they will have few symptoms and not easily pass it to any adults. They number of cases in GTA is very low right now. Probably will be higher this fall winter and spring. How healthy you think it is to not let your kid play with other kids for a year? Weigh the risk. Each family is different but passing your anxieties and staying inside has real long term health impacts on your children too both mental and physical.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4607 posts
1837 upvotes
GTA
^^^ I don't disagree about the possible mental health issues caused by keeping your kids isolated from others. Having said that, they don't need to play on a playground. They can do what our kids do now which is ride bikes or scooter with friends, play soccer with friends (no touching the ball with hands), etc.
Jan 8, 2011
505 posts
126 upvotes
London
Closely supervised and when it is not busy (which it has not been whenever we've went somewhere lately). We take hand sanitizer and use it frequently. I'm not in an area with a high infection rate.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7612 posts
1683 upvotes
Scarborough
Only the swings are locked by padlocks but other things in playgrounds are being used by kids everyday without any covid issues
Thanks to Almighty for keeping kids safe from this virus, let them play and have fun
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8613 posts
1425 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: ^^^ I don't disagree about the possible mental health issues caused by keeping your kids isolated from others. Having said that, they don't need to play on a playground. They can do what our kids do now which is ride bikes or scooter with friends, play soccer with friends (no touching the ball with hands), etc.
Agree. We've been playing all sorts of stuff for the past 3-4 months. No need for the structures at the park for us. We also don't really trust the random kids et the park. Thank goodness we have 3 to play amongst themselves.