• Nov 25th, 2017 10:57 am
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2663 posts
854 upvotes
Chatham

PlayStation 4 Pro Launch Thread

PS Blog
Next Thursday, 10th November, sees the launch of PS4 Pro, our most powerful games console ever. Offering enhanced performance via boosted CPU and GPU, with resolution up to 4K, HDR imaging technology, and faster, more stable frame rates, it’s the ultimate way to enjoy your favourite videogames.

We know you’re eager to find out which titles will be the first to take advantage of the increased power and performance of PS4 Pro. The following 30+ titles will be optimised for the new hardware on launch day. Some games have updates to add Pro support, while more recent titles like Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare have Pro enhancements built into the base game. We’ll keep this list updated should additional titles be confirmed.
In addition to the titles listed above, more than 45 games will be optimised for PS4 Pro by the end of the year, including Watch Dogs 2, Killing Floor 2, The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV, with the likes of Nioh, Resident Evil 7 Biohazard and For Honor to follow in early 2017.

Further to that, all first party software launched in 2017 and beyond, including Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone and Gran Turismo Sport, will enjoy the benefits of the world’s most powerful console.

We’ll be detailing select titles’ PS4 Pro enhancements right here on PlayStation Blog in the coming days and weeks. We’ve already heard from the Horizon Zero Dawn team at Guerrilla Games – look out for more soon.
  • Bound
  • Battlefield 1
  • Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • DRIVECLUB VR
  • EA SPORTS FIFA 17
  • Firewatch
  • HELLDIVERS
  • HITMAN
  • Hustle Kings
  • inFAMOUS First Light
  • inFAMOUS Second Son
  • Knack
  • Mafia III
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • NBA 2K17
  • Paragon
  • PSVR Worlds
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Rez Infinite
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League
  • Rise Of The Tomb Raider
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • SMITE
  • Super Stardust Ultra
  • The Elders Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  • The Last Of Us Remastered
  • The Last Of Us: Left Behind
  • THE PLAYROOM VR
  • Titanfall 2
  • Tumble
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  • Viking Squad
  • World Of Tanks
  • XCOM 2
Digital Foundry Comparison images.
from Neogaf forum
PS4 Pro Super-sampled image to 1080p
PS4 OG
PS4 Pro
PS4 OG
Here is the PC at max to compare.
PC 1620p max settings TSAA downsampled to 1080p
PS4 Pro (super-sampled/down-scaled to 1080p)
PS4 Original at 1080p
Last edited by Tibbs on Nov 3rd, 2016 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
272 replies
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5934 upvotes
XCOM 2 really needs it, the console version is plagued with performance issues.

Be interesting to see if we're headed towards Minimum and Recommended type specs in the console industry. I guess it wouldn't be a big leap for the devs, many are already used to different specs on PC versions.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Great.

I can play the games that had trouble with performance on the regular PS4, on the PS4 Pro, and have trouble there.

I still don't understand why they did this - they leap right into 4K, without even getting 1080p right. But I'm sure people will buy this - because reasons.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Does this effect existing games at all?

Like I'm not expecting this to run say Fallout 4 at a higher resolution/60FPS without a patch but is it possible that this could just give us the targeted framerate (ie a consistent 30fps in fallout) in games where it cannot meet the targets similar to how the xbox one S gives slightly better framerates/dynamic resolutions to existing games using the minor boost in the GPU.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2663 posts
854 upvotes
Chatham
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Does this effect existing games at all?

Like I'm not expecting this to run say Fallout 4 at a higher resolution/60FPS without a patch but is it possible that this could just give us the targeted framerate (ie a consistent 30fps in fallout) in games where it cannot meet the targets similar to how the xbox one S gives slightly better framerates/dynamic resolutions to existing games using the minor boost in the GPU.
I think when the XBO S came out we only really found out about increases in old games after release. I know they said that the GPU is split for OG titles so it will act same as OG PS4, but I'm willing to bet that we'll hear lots of titles having a small boost.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5934 upvotes
The press has their consoles now so we'll probably know for sure after Digital Foundry does their thing. Officially Sony said that games would need a patch to see any benefit and that games would otherwise run as they have in the past. Unofficially who knows.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: XCOM 2 really needs it, the console version is plagued with performance issues.
But at least it has proper controller support. On PC they literally tore out what worked perfectly with some stupid excuse and then never bothered to put it back in again even after the console versions hit. Turn-based stuff just works better on a controller.
Bored...
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
BYan wrote:
Redmask wrote: XCOM 2 really needs it, the console version is plagued with performance issues.
But at least it has proper controller support. On PC they literally tore out what worked perfectly with some stupid excuse and then never bothered to put it back in again even after the console versions hit. Turn-based stuff just works better on a controller.
What?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1474 posts
356 upvotes
Planning to get a PS4 on Black Friday... but not sure it's worth the extra $120 (and no bonus game). No plans on getting a 4K TV and from I've read from media it's pretty granular.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5142 upvotes
signore wrote: Planning to get a PS4 on Black Friday... but not sure it's worth the extra $120 (and no bonus game). No plans on getting a 4K TV and from I've read from media it's pretty granular.
Was thinking the same. I co-worker wants to buy my barely used PS4 for a decent price, but I'm not sure I want to fork out the extra money for the PRO. No 4K TV here or plans for it either at the moment. I'll just wait out till at least Scorpio, to make a decision.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
What's the likelyhood of games like Ratchet and Clank or Uncharted 4 getting a bump to 60fps with the patch for Pro? If that's what these patches do then i'm sold.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5142 upvotes
I'll say it's very likely they will run at 60fps
Sep 4, 2016
904 posts
350 upvotes
Is it PS4 Pro or PS4 Pho?
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
CFRTim wrote:
signore wrote: Planning to get a PS4 on Black Friday... but not sure it's worth the extra $120 (and no bonus game). No plans on getting a 4K TV and from I've read from media it's pretty granular.
Was thinking the same. I co-worker wants to buy my barely used PS4 for a decent price, but I'm not sure I want to fork out the extra money for the PRO. No 4K TV here or plans for it either at the moment. I'll just wait out till at least Scorpio, to make a decision.
I have a 4k tv, but an older non-HDR set. I'm waiting to see the reviews to decide how much better it really is. Plus the list of games so far that will be patched are limited based on what I play.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5142 upvotes
Looks the same to me. And obviously the 60fps "patch" for the PRO is not implemented in the above video
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
CFRTim wrote: Looks the same to me. And obviously the 60fps "patch" for the PRO is not implemented in the above video
Only a handful of games got updates and of that handful of games an even smaller handful of them got a 60fps patch. Actually the only one that comes to mind is tomb raider, uncharted and TlOu just got a 4k mode.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
BYan wrote:
What?
You heard me right. Real time RTS will need a mouse, but turn based stuff where you can take all the time you want - don't see any reason why you wouldn't rather use a controller instead.
signore wrote: Planning to get a PS4 on Black Friday... but not sure it's worth the extra $120 (and no bonus game).
At this point, if you don't already own a PS4, you might as well futureproof yourself (or at least what passes for futureproofing in Sony's deluded world). But if you're just switching up from the regular model then there's real reason to be hesitant. The upgrade seems minimal at best.
Bored...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote: Looks the same to me. And obviously the 60fps "patch" for the PRO is not implemented in the above video
How does this come out in a week and there's no solid info on this? If the PRO actually runs games like Uncharted 4 at 60fps that would be a major marketing bullet point so I'm guessing it's not happening at this point

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)