Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 2:08 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3253 posts
3191 upvotes
Alberta
100 pages. That didn't take long.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4410 posts
2359 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
rinse wrote: Released preorders in the dead of night lol
Yeah i missed it too

I'm used to preorder every Nvidia GPU at launch when there's stock for like 30 minutes.

But they usually open the pre-order at like 10am.

I was dumbly expecting the same!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2011
1652 posts
339 upvotes
Toronto
Ended up grabbing the disc edition considering games are $90 now. Doing trade ins are going to be the best affordable option for me in the long run.
Jan 28, 2018
263 posts
204 upvotes
rinse wrote: Released preorders in the dead of night lol

Ya.. chose to release their preorder at around 3am and it still sold out in like 3 minutes apparently. So they're catering to the scalper bot market and gamers with no jobs I guess.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1995 posts
1678 upvotes
GP Legend wrote: $629? F*** off!
I don't understand what is the big deal about the price.

If you guys don't know, our Canadian dollar is not on par as USD when ps4 launched. Actually as of today's usd / cad, we are actually saving 30 bucks or so in currency exchange.

The cost of buying a videocard is the cost of this console. Sony apparently at cost builds a PS5 at 450 USD, so it is not like their profit margin is big after marketing expense costs, air shipping costs.

Personally I find the price completely fair with what you are getting here.

People are paying 1k for geforce 3080, I don't see people whining that it is expensive...

Ps3 launched in Canada around same price.. Also because our Canadian dollar wasn't strong..

Heck, I remember paying like 150 dollars buying diablo 2 collectors edition pc. Blame the Canadian dollar and our high taxes if you find things expensive.
Last edited by renegadeavenger on Sep 17th, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 14, 2015
60 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
so many reselling ads on kijiji/craiglist
if ppl dont overpay for those then maybe the scalpers hv to cancel and more preorders will open up later
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6488 posts
2349 upvotes
Montreal
renegadeavenger wrote: I don't understand what is the big deal about the price.

If you guys don't know, our Canadian dollar is not on par as USD when ps4 launched. Actually as of today's usd / cad, we are actually saving 30 bucks or so in currency exchange.

The cost of buying a videocard is the cost of this console. Sony apparently at cost builds a PS5 at 450 USD, so it is not like their profit margin is big after marketing expense costs, air shipping costs.

People are paying 1k for geforce 3080, I don't see people whining that it is expensive...
Agreed. Considering the life span of a console is around 6-7 years, it's really not that bad.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4410 posts
2359 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)

Probably because Microsoft will launch the Xbox at 599$ Canadian rupees
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1704 posts
1163 upvotes
kool1 wrote: I'm sure a lot of government CERB checks going into these sadly.
And that’s the attitude that perpetuates social inequality.
But hey, PS5, thanks for compiling locations OP.
Jun 15, 2007
219 posts
166 upvotes
MrManager wrote: Ya.. chose to release their preorder at around 3am and it still sold out in like 3 minutes apparently. So they're catering to the scalper bot market and gamers with no jobs I guess.
I think it was actually around 1:30 (not that it makes it any better!)
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2444 posts
2611 upvotes
GTA
kebel87 wrote: Same here, I really feel bad about this. I was so hyped, and they said we would know in advance. Very poorly executed by Sony.
It sounds like retailers broke street date.

Another perspective, if preorders had gone out all today at the same time instead of this sporadic mess, I bet less consoles would make it into buyers hands and more into the hands of resellers who use bots to hoard all the supply. Then way more people would be complaining of how impossible this was to get instead of a few.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4463 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto and London
vonblock wrote: Probably because Microsoft will launch the Xbox at 599$ Canadian rupees
Games warrant the price of the console, especially in Sony's case.
Nov 7, 2013
181 posts
35 upvotes
Montreal

Ps3 launched in Canada around same price.. Also because our Canadian dollar wasn't strong..

Heck, I remember paying like 150 dollars buying diablo 2 collectors edition pc. Blame the Canadian dollar and our high taxes if you find things expensive.
Exactly

People pay 1200$ for phones whats 629$? The price is way more than fair especially the digital edition!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6488 posts
2349 upvotes
Montreal
TheCraZyCloWn wrote: Exactly

People pay 1200$ for phones whats 629$? The price is way more than fair especially the digital edition!
1K+ phones that they use for a 2-3 years, but we don't do that on RFD right? :D

Thread Information

There are currently 18 users viewing this thread. (11 members and 7 guests)

Siye, BaptisteD81634, blockbstone, bfbrfd, dragonduck, nithanyo, nelly29, TML1319, 2kfire, JasonA591, uberbaumer