Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2023 10:52 am
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
gundamwingZero wrote: only got $2 discount for it and the remote this morning..
but the controller is still $13.5..
Yeah...the Dual Sense and the Headset have the highest discounts...most other accessories / games only got $2.50 or so discounts.

I presume it's a 15% discount accoss the board depending on the price of the accessories. But games are more expensive...yet still only got $2.50 discounted...so it's not a uniform discount for every item they have...which is confusing.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
vonblock wrote: Well, the state gaming is in now is that even if i have the game on a disk, it will be so extremely buggy without day 1 patch that it will be close to worthless anyway.
Not really...as if that day arrives and you can't get that patch officially because the site officially closed. There will be Video game preservationists out there who will host private/public servers for collectors of the physical discs to download those patches manually/automatically to their consoles.

Happened before...and will continue to happen IMHO.

So not a that big of thing to worry about. There will be sites/mirror sites out there to find and get any necessary patches....all legally because you need the game disc to apply the patch to in your console.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
adamtheman wrote: What are you talking about? The minimum wage in BC was $7.15 in 1998. Today it is more than double that at $14.60.

Also, the average hourly wage across ALL of Canada was around $16 in 1998. Today it is around $27 an hour.
Yes...but his point is still valid when it comes to the housing market...it's daylight robbery.

No amount of wage income increases today for the average Canadian can match the insane inflation rates of the housing prices.

So wages...as a bottom line...have not kept up with the cost of living. The most basic of those living costs you need to keep up with, is being able to afford getting your own home...which ain't happening for most people as it's completely unaffordable at this point and unrealistically overpriced.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
May 7, 2019
164 posts
197 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Wait, just to understand. I've never bought a gaming console at launch. The only people to get the console will be those preordering it? What about those that will walk into their bestbuy or walmart the day of the launch? They won't have them in stock?
Aug 23, 2016
214 posts
305 upvotes
xristophoros wrote: $710cad taxes in for ps5 physical edition is completely nuts considering it is $145cad more than the digital edition. those numbers don't add up. yes, i get that sony wants a fair price gap to entice people to adopt the digital model as it means more money in their pocket and higher margins on software since they can cut out the retailers... but throwing physical collectors under the bus like this is pretty sly of them. essentially, owners of the physical edition are subsidizing the digital edition for people. not to mention the poor communication with regards to the ps5 being a true next generation console a few months back... turns out there will be many ps4 ports (of what was once believed to be ps5 exclusives) in the years ahead, including spiderman, sackboy, horizon forbidden west and possibly even god of war. all this adds up and kills the hype for me. there really is no reason to adopt early, especially at the ludicrous price point sony is asking for and the possibility of higher than normal failure rates with the chip sets. even though sony debunked the story, it would not be unfathomable if the quality control was not up to snuff considering all the problems that have occured with the supply chain and rushed production this past year.

Sony and Microsoft are probably selling their more expensive consoles at a loss. Owners of the disc version definitely aren't subsidizing the digital edition for people lol. They can just sell the digital one for so much cheaper because as you said they will make their money back (and more) on digital sales. They get a 30% cut from sales on the playstation store.

You're getting a lot for just $700 CAD, this is like a mid-range gaming PC for a far cheaper price.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
OVOSound wrote: That was a clown move on that guy considering that the Spiderman PS4 Pro goes for over $500 used.
I'm going off topic but...
Maybe on eBay, but for people that don't wanna use eBay, then as usual it all depends where you live. I am always posting about how my local Kijiji sucks in various ways :), and one of those ways is selling anything collectable special edition etc. I have seen them posted here a few times and they just don't sell for high prices, if they sell at all.

Actually I forgot I tried to sell one myself heh, I just remembered, it was a fluke came back into stock a little while after it had sold out everywhere and I had a coupon that discounted it slightly, like $30 or something not much. I decided I didn't want it and put it up at cost, so below retail after there was basically no chance to buy it anywhere, and nope, I had to return it. No one cared it was a sold out supposedly sought after Spiderman edition for below retail, didn't get many replies and those that did wanted it waaaay below retail.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2007
1519 posts
2788 upvotes
dayimziah wrote: Wait, just to understand. I've never bought a gaming console at launch. The only people to get the console will be those preordering it? What about those that will walk into their bestbuy or walmart the day of the launch? They won't have them in stock?
Can't say for sure, but given the current state of rapid pre-order sellouts, it's probable that you will have to queue up well in advance to get one at retail. If you can find a pre-order, definitely take advantage of it.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
parlaminty wrote: Does anyone know if the PS5 can play 3D Blu ray discs? I have a large collection of 3D movies and a high end 3D 80” tv in my theatre/gaming room (when they last made them).

I’d like to get rid of my launch PS4 to offset the cost of the PS5 but don’t want to do so if the PS5 can’t play 3D blu rays.
I presume that the PS5 will be able to handle 3D Blurays...if not at launch...with a firmware patch/update later on. The PS4 got that capability later...not on launch too.

May I ask you...what is the Model and Brand of your 80" LCD TV? Sounds cool!
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2019
164 posts
197 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Dunderhead wrote: Can't say for sure, but given the current state of rapid pre-order sellouts, it's probable that you will have to queue up well in advance to get one at retail. If you can find a pre-order, definitely take advantage of it.

Not really familiar with the Canadian market but how long do you think the queue will be on launch day at Bestbuy or Walmart? Gotta be there 2 hours early? 3? 4..
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Fact is, complaining that game prices are too high now is a fallacy. And a first-world problem.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ ... me-coming/

Prices are below or in line with inflation. But some here would rather whine because oxygen is free, while reading comprehension is a learned skill that takes effort.

game-prices.001.jpeg
You should see the game and console prices in Brazil...where many times they don't get games or consoles officially released...so have to resort to Grey Market imports at very high prices (or friends buying them consoles from overseas).

And they aren't even First World (I hate that name by the way...people should stick to Developed vs Developing Countries....not First World vs Third World...it sounds very discriminatory/superority-like).
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2007
1519 posts
2788 upvotes
dayimziah wrote: Not really familiar with the Canadian market but how long do you think the queue will be on launch day at Bestbuy or Walmart? Gotta be there 2 hours early? 3? 4..
That is impossible to say. Some people have camped out days in advance before. This time who knows if retailers even want to deal with crowds in the time of covid. I would not risk dealing with that lunacy myself.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
Dunderhead wrote: I want to play the remastered Spiderman that comes with the Miles Morales Ultimate edition. It sounds like it is a solid upgrade.
The big question for me is...Will the Spidermam Remastered PS5 version be on Disc or a Downloadable code on a piece of paper??

If not on Disc...I will be very disappointed. I hate it when they pack in a new remastered game and cheapen out by puting it as a code and not on Disc...when there is ample space on the Disc...or possibility of putting it on another separate Disc.

I am worried because they pulled a separate move like that with the Spiderman Game of the Year Edition Disc release where all the extras were NOT on disc but as a Download Code on a piece of paper....the Disc is the exact same one as the standard Retail edition (Capcom pulled a similar move like that with Street Fighter V second updated release...Champion Edition....and just bundled all the DLC extras as a Code instead of accessible on disc....and that is deceptive).
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
ShingoHusky wrote: Do you think the PS5 will re-sale for a lot more because of low availability?
If we go by past launch console generation history....then the answer is Yes.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
dragon wrote: Are you able to pre-order more than one at Amazon under the same account?
If you were in that super-short window of being able to pre-order successfully before selling out...you could get one of EACH model (one Disc and one Digital) if you wanted but not 2 of the same model. If you do that...it warns you beforehand that it will remove the duplicate unit you added to your order. 1 model max per account/customer.

But I am sure that pro-scalpers have multiple accounts and bots to try to override that limitation....unfortunately.

Actually, we were lucky with a random PS5 Pre-Order window opening....because if the Scalpers knew beforehand...they would have had time to set their accounts/bots to buy/pre-order most of the online stock and most of us who were even able to score one would have had an ALMOST zero chance of scoring a unit or two.

This mishandling by Sony of the Pre-Order date/time definitely benefited the average consumer with at least getting a shot of getting a PS5 Pre-Ordered....because it caught the Professional Scalpers/Resellers off guard and not prepared in time to launch their Software/Bots to buyout/snipe most of the PS5 stock out there.

The XBox Series X / S will suffer the same fate of almost instant selling-out but not because of disorganization...actually the opposite...because there are set dates/times for those Xbox pre-orders...which gives the Pro Scalpers the edge of buying all the units they can as quickly or quicker than the PS5 Pre-Orders even. Mark my words...you'll see!

We got really lucky...us regular buyers who got PS5s Pre-Ordered....but ONLY because of the Sony / Retailers unpredictable Pre-Order launched so randomly like what happened.

It was a bad move by Sony and the Retailers...but it benefited many who wouldn't have a had a decent/fair chance in hell at scoring a Pre-Order otherwise.

Anyone see my same point of view here? Thoughts?
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 3:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2007
1519 posts
2788 upvotes
Scorpionsy wrote: The big question for me is...Will the Spidermam Remastered PS5 version be on Disc or a Downloadable code on a piece of paper??

If not on Disc...I will be very disappointed. I hate it when they pack in a new remastered game and cheapen out by puting it as a code and not on Disc...when there is ample space on the Disc...or possibility of putting it on another separate Disc.

I am worried because they pulled a separate move like that with the Spiderman Game of the Year Edition Disc release where all the extras were NOT on disc but as a Download Code on a liece of paper....the Disc is the exact same one as the standard Retail edition (Capcom pulled a similar move like that with Street Fighter V second updated release...Champion Edition....and just bundled all the DLC extras as a Code instead of accessible on disc....and that is deceptive).
According to this, it's a code:
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16 ... play-demo/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
8678 posts
10295 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Scorpionsy wrote: Yeah...the Dual Sense and the Headset have the highest discounts...most other accessories / games only got $2.50 or so discounts.

I presume it's a 15% discount accoss the board dependi g on the price of the accessories. But games are more expensive...yet still only got $2.50 discounted...so it's not a uniform discount for every item they have...which is confusing.
There's a cost calculation in there as well I'm pretty sure. A 15% discount on games would mean they're absolutely selling them for a loss.

The PS5 items are 3% for the games, 7% for the less expensive accessories, and 15% for the headset and controller. Looks to be the same for the PS4 stuff as well.

If I remember my short time at Best Buy correctly that should still leave The Source with a profit on almost everything in those categories.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
dayimziah wrote: Wait, just to understand. I've never bought a gaming console at launch. The only people to get the console will be those preordering it? What about those that will walk into their bestbuy or walmart the day of the launch? They won't have them in stock?
There is almost ZERO chance of a walk-in customer being able to find and buy the PS5 console from a store like that. Sad...but it's the reality.

So yes, people who pre-ordered are a lot more guaranteed to get them than at Store walk-ins.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
hystavito wrote: I'm going off topic but...
Maybe on eBay, but for people that don't wanna use eBay, then as usual it all depends where you live. I am always posting about how my local Kijiji sucks in various ways :), and one of those ways is selling anything collectable special edition etc. I have seen them posted here a few times and they just don't sell for high prices, if they sell at all.

Actually I forgot I tried to sell one myself heh, I just remembered, it was a fluke came back into stock a little while after it had sold out everywhere and I had a coupon that discounted it slightly, like $30 or something not much. I decided I didn't want it and put it up at cost, so below retail after there was basically no chance to buy it anywhere, and nope, I had to return it. No one cared it was a sold out supposedly sought after Spiderman edition for below retail, didn't get many replies and those that did wanted it waaaay below retail.
That's the problem with investing in a Collector's Edition Console or Game...most people don't care about the extras.

So unless you can find a market where there are collectors (like eBay or other auction sites)...your chances are slimmer on Craigslist and Kijiji (not ruling them out...but slimmer chances overall) of finding a collector buyer who sees the value of the item you are selling.

You have to know your market and audience/buyers to maximize your selling power/profits.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
Well...that sucks big time!

What a major bummer.

Remember when they had Call of Duty 4 Remastered on the PS4?....it was digital download mostly, but they did make a Physical Disc release of it available as well shortly after.

Why can't Sony and Capcom etc. do that too? Unbelievable!

You have a Remastered game for Next-Gen consoles and yet...only offer it as a Digital Download on a pack that you are charging more for and tout it as an "Ultimate Edition"?!
SMH! Disappointed Face

White Down Pointing Backhand Index
to experience the complete storyline up to this point, which includes the remaster of the original game and all three installments of the Marvel’s Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps DLC so you can play the full narrative arc.

The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.