Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2023 10:52 am
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
oakley0023 wrote: Isn't trade in $250 right now at EB for a Pro 1TB?
First, you have to get a PS5 Pre-Ordered at EB begore you can do your trade-in of PS4....that's the hard part.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8623 upvotes
GTA
markj wrote: it's 270 but you need to put it on a ps5 preorder that none of the stores have now...
Ah you're right. But it is still $270 for people who got an EB preorder and want to trade in a console after the fact, some people on this thread say EB is allowing that. If not, you're SOL ATM
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1062 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpionsy wrote: First, you have to get a PS5 Pre-Ordered at EB begore you can do your trade-in of PS4....that's the hard part.
I lined up and preordered one yesterday at EB for $100. But then the question becomes, what do I play for the next 8 weeks?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1062 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
One would think you'd get $270 for a PRO on Marketplace come launch but I guess it'll be closer to $200? Damn.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: Well we don't know how many of those are straight up scammers or Average Joe's with a single preorder who just want to cash in. People just have to show self control and not order from them because they are a) motivating this kind of behaviour and b) under greater risk of being ripped off. Can't wait to hear the sob stories on the 6 o'clock news of people who didn't buy from a legitimate retailer once November rolls around - "Father robbed of money when purchasing PS5 - are you under risk??????"
Yeah but holding off not buying resell does nothing to increase your chances if you really want one. Using the Kijiji and EBay reputation system, you can be pretty reassure a safe transaction. If they have zero history, obviously stay away. No different than buying resell event tickets. The last number of years, I resell right in front of my house with a cop next door and security cameras in full swing. The exchange is done on the porch. Buyer opens the box to ensure all there. Buyer gets original receipt for manufacturer warranty and option to purchase extended. I don't seek hundreds of dollars. Quick turn arounds that subsidize my own purchase.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
Who's gonna try an get an Xbox Series X or S here on Pre-Order?

It's gonna be interesting to see the sellout time for those consoles compared to the first wave of PS5 Pre-Orders.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8623 upvotes
GTA
oakley0023 wrote: I lined up and preordered one yesterday at EB for $100. But then the question becomes, what do I play for the next 8 weeks?
I have a PS1 I can sell you... But only one, not 4, so it would only be 1/4 the experience as your PS4.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Scorpionsy wrote: There were always gonna be scalpers getting a bunch of PS5s...but this time they didn't get as many as they had hoped to because of the random unannounced Pre-Order times online...not enough time to set their bots to target the sales online.

We benefited a lot from that Pre-Order random timing.
They didn't need bots. i picked up 5 units across 3 retailers (2 disc @ BB, 1 disc & 1 digital @WM, 1 disc at Source) without even blinking. Could have easily got 10 but that's not me.
Last edited by mrtvgame on Sep 18th, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Scorpionsy wrote: Who's gonna try an get an Xbox Series X or S here on Pre-Order?

It's gonna be interesting to see the sellout time for those consoles compared to the first wave of PS5 Pre-Orders.
Going to try but it is what it is. Whatever happens, happens. From my own experience with PS4 and Xbox One when it came to reselling, PS4 was gone within 24-48 hrs., Xbox One took up to a week. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
oakley0023 wrote: I lined up and preordered one yesterday at EB for $100. But then the question becomes, what do I play for the next 8 weeks?
I could play one of my other PS4 Pros (the one with the PSVR attached), the Xbox One X or the PC I just purchased or the Oculus Go I won. How about you?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2784 posts
1177 upvotes
Richmond, ON
Scorpionsy wrote: Who's gonna try an get an Xbox Series X or S here on Pre-Order?

I plan too
if you don't ask, the answer is always NO!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: They didn't need bots. i picked up 5 units across 3 retailers (2 disc @ BB, 1 disc & 1 digital @WM, 1 disc at Source) without even blinking. Could have easily got 10 but that's not me.
RFD helped you...and you kept up with the first smell of knowing it was listed.

But I said already in another post that some Scalpers did get a bunch of PS5s for sure....but only by scrambling when they found out.

Pro-Scalpers/Resellers usually use Bots/Software to snipe and buyout sought after products. You will see this happen with the Xbox Series X / S...next Tuesday. They now have ample time and a confirmed date and time. Also, some attempt to find backdoors to the product page to get an edge (as what happened with PS5 on some sites).

Just watch the mayhem next Tuesday...followed by complaints that many peope couldn't get their hands on one as they sold out in minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8623 upvotes
GTA
mrtvgame wrote: Yeah but holding off not buying resell does nothing to increase your chances if you really want one. Using the Kijiji and EBay reputation system, you can be pretty reassure a safe transaction. If they have zero history, obviously stay away. No different than buying resell event tickets. The last number of years, I resell right in front of my house with a cop next door and security cameras in full swing. The exchange is done on the porch. Buyer opens the box to ensure all there. Buyer gets original receipt for manufacturer warranty and option to purchase extended. I don't seek hundreds of dollars. Quick turn arounds that subsidize my own purchase.
If people who plan to resell are stuck with 2 extra consoles worth $1400, they'll get pretty nervous as the return window starts to close on them. So for some not facing a quick turn around yeah, it could.
I'm not going to comment on how you subsidize your own console purchases as I don't completely agree with it. Honestly it is part of the reason that I myself don't participate on console launches. If I can't get something at cost or less, it had better be damned special for some reason. IMO consoles aren't, they're easy to find within 2 years, tops.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
Scorpionsy wrote: Yeah, VHS collection is becoming a hot market again like the Vinyl Records collector market these days.

Check out a Documentary called "VHS Revolution."..and more VHS collectors documentaries out there.
It's on Prime for $2 and not part of my sub. But I lived that era. Still have all my old collectors/traders mags like The Videophile's Newsletter. Without that mag, anime tape trading would not have come about (at least not from my end) in 1980, when it was still a thing mostly in California only. But i was the first one in Canada to set up a trading network for anime directly from Japan. Good times...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: If people who plan to resell are stuck with 2 extra consoles worth $1400, they'll get pretty nervous as the return window starts to close on them. So for some not facing a quick turn around yeah, it could.
I'm not going to comment on how you subsidize your own console purchases as I don't completely agree with it. Honestly it is part of the reason that I myself don't participate on console launches. If I can't get something at cost or less, it had better be damned special for some reason. IMO consoles aren't, they're easy to find within 2 years, tops.
I probably would refrain if places with EB could get more allocation and actually honor the trade in deals. They don't so I have to revert to another option.
Mar 2, 2015
11 posts
Scarborough, ON
I have pre-ordered 2 items from Amazon, they don’t actually hold it for you. I’ve been waiting 1 month and counting. Better off pre-ordering from somewhere else.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Scorpionsy wrote: RFD helped you...and you kept up with the first smell of knowing it was listed.

But I said already in another post that some Scalpers did get a bunch of PS5s for sure....but only by scrambling when they found out.

Pro-Scalpers/Resellers usually use Bots/Software to snipe and buyout sought after products. You will see this happen with the Xbox Series X / S...next Tuesday. They now have ample time and a confirmed date and time. Also, some attempt to find backdoors to the product page to get an edge (as what happened with PS5 on some sites).

Just watch the mayhem next Tuesday...followed by complaints that many peope couldn't get their hands on one as they sold out in minutes.
Um no while I love RFD, it did not help in this instance. Social media feeds helped and I was generally prepared. Are we absolutely sure that Xbox is anticipated to be as hot as PS5? I do not think so, but we will see. Meaning, like you mentioned above, there could be a lot of returns on December 12th.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Going to try but it is what it is. Whatever happens, happens. From my own experience with PS4 and Xbox One when it came to reselling, PS4 was gone within 24-48 hrs., Xbox One took up to a week. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
I think the Xbox will resell this time the same way as before...behind the PS5 sales and take longer to sell.

The reason is that most people will attempt to get a PS5 (like parents for Xmas gifts for example)...and when they find it hard or too expensive to buy a PS5 from a reseller...they will look towards getting the Xbox instead as an alternative. That's why you see the delay in selling Xbox vs a PlayStation console.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
If you have another older console...like the one you wanna trade in...someone here said EB Games allows you several weeks to do the Trade In later...not on the spot....so you can play some games on that one still for now.

Or on PC if you have a good setup.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)