Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2021 12:19 pm
Sep 20, 2019
37 posts
34 upvotes
Dunderhead wrote: Take out a full page ad in a newspaper. Make sure you dress up as a pirate.
But I don't want to be a pirate.
Mar 3, 2012
260 posts
140 upvotes
HAMILTON
kodiaktfc wrote: Wouldn't the Sony X900H with the incoming update cover all these features at a reasonable price? Its $1699 but the US prices are going down today to $1000 so potentially we may see a similar move to $1350ish in Canada. My current plan is to purchase this TV come Black Friday. By then the update should be out as well.
Any reason why are they dropping the price? A sale or?
Apr 11, 2010
237 posts
51 upvotes
Igoran4s wrote: Any reason why are they dropping the price? A sale or?
I think its just a record low sale at Costco.
Mar 4, 2020
12 posts
3 upvotes
So does anyone think there will there be another wave of pre-orders? Looking for the digital version
Sep 13, 2007
420 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
the way things are going, i doubt they will have another wave of preorders available until December
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1097 posts
95 upvotes
Magog
Would be weird to have more pre orders when so many place are getting cancellation notice or email saying they wont get their PS5 until 2021 :/
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11778 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto
XizorGetspeed wrote: What about something like this?
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-75NANO90UNA#pdp_where

Seems to have all the requirements you mentioned unless I’m not reading the specs right.

And is within budget, albeit on the higher side...
You are on the right track...the LG Nano has all the features I mentioned....but it's HDMI 2.1 was nerfed.

Proper HDMI 2.1 speed for 4K @120 Hz should be at 48Gbps...but LG downgraded theirs to 38-40Gbps. Not enough speed for that level of Next-Gen gaming in 4K @ 120Hz.

So you will regret it if you get it...when next year they fix it and release proper 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 in newer LG models.

Also don't get OLED TVs unless you plan to use it in dark rooms for movies and gaming...that is where the image pops.

If you have ample light and brightly / well lit rooms...OLED is not the right TV for that environment.

Also...OLEDs have Burn-In issues...so take note of that if it affects you or not.

Take my advice and wait.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 30th, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11778 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto
Igoran4s wrote: I was planning to upgrade my Sony x900e from 2017 to x900h
But I decided to wait. Till I big price drop on tv.
I know I won't be able to use the full advantage of the 2.1hdmi right in the beginning so no need to rush.
That would be wise to wait...good choice...you'll have more and better TV options next year and beyond.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5981 posts
414 upvotes
Calgary
imo ps5 won't use 4k 120hz for its best exclusive games so your really future proofing for ps6. I'm using an oled that's only 4k 60hz and I'm just fine for this generation.
Last edited by markj on Sep 30th, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11778 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto
kodiaktfc wrote: Wouldn't the Sony X900H with the incoming update cover all these features at a reasonable price? Its $1699 but the US prices are going down today to $1000 so potentially we may see a similar move to $1350ish in Canada. My current plan is to purchase this TV come Black Friday. By then the update should be out as well.
Yes...your only option is the Sony X900H WITH the Firmware Update.

If someone MUST buy a Next-Gen Gaming TV in 2020...then this is the TV to buy...as it has all the features I mentioned.

Otherwise, hold off till later in 2021 for more options and cheaper TV's with the same features (or more).
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1460 posts
1160 upvotes
St Catharines
Scorpionsy wrote: Proper HDMI 2.1 speed for 4K @120 Hz should be at 48Gbps...but LG downgraded theirs to 38-40Gbps. Not enough speed for that level of Next-Gen gaming in 4K @ 120Hz.

So you will regret it if you get it...when next year they fix it and release proper 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 in newer LG models.
This is only for 12-bit. Edit: The GPU in Both consoles have been confirmed to support 10-bit 4k 120Hz 4:4:4. Even if TVs come out next year with support for 48Gbps, the panels themselves won't be able to display 12-bits, just like the 9-series OLEDs (support 48Gbps but are only 10-bit panels).
Last edited by 2kfire on Oct 1st, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 19, 2016
18 posts
13 upvotes
Secured my Walmart preorder last week, i figured i should sell my PS Pro with 3 games ( Kingdom Hearts 1+2, AC Origin and Horizon) while it still held some value. It sold yesterday for 390 on marketplace.
I'm pretty satisfied with the price i got especially since i couldn't get rid of those games.
I still have LOU2 for sale which should get me at least 50-60$.

I'm glad to be almost done with all the lowballer...

I feel like a kid hording all my christmas money for a N64.

Just need to wait another month and a half to get some games in again!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5452 posts
1270 upvotes
MrJohnny wrote: Secured my Walmart preorder last week, i figured i should sell my PS Pro with 3 games ( Kingdom Hearts 1+2, AC Origin and Horizon) while it still held some value. It sold yesterday for 390 on marketplace.
I'm pretty satisfied with the price i got especially since i couldn't get rid of those games.
I still have LOU2 for sale which should get me at least 50-60$.

I'm glad to be almost done with all the lowballer...

I feel like a kid hording all my christmas money for a N64.

Just need to wait another month and a half to get some games in again!
That's a really solid price, I've seen some pop up on the RFD BST forum for around $300
Jul 10, 2019
206 posts
220 upvotes
So Sony is letting some retailers know they won't shipping enough units to satisfy all presales, prior to Christmas.

That sucks, was hoping to have it for the holidays.
Sep 19, 2019
92 posts
88 upvotes
Str8Grumpz wrote: So Sony is letting some retailers know they won't shipping enough units to satisfy all presales, prior to Christmas.

I saw that for some places in Europe but I don't think it happened in Canada?
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11778 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto
2kfire wrote: This is only for 12-bit. Both consoles have been confirmed to support 10-bit 4k 120Hz 4:4:4. Even if TVs come out next year with support for 48Gbps, the panels themselves won't be able to display 12-bits, just like the 9-series OLEDs (support 48Gbps but are only 10-bit panels).
OK, but you wanna buy a TV to future proof your purchase. Plus, in 2021 and beyond you will have that limitation fixed somehow with newer TVs and console updates.

Also...again I don't recommend OLED for gaming due to burn-ins for those who play long sessions.

QD-OLED...and even better Q-LED are where higher priced investments should be.

But for most people with Budgets...I recommend Mini-LED to avoid the burn ins and have better colour in brighter lit rooms.

But Mini-LED will be better available and improved on in 2021. That's why I recommend waiting.

I am on the fence with Dual-Cell TVs...have not seen any true benefits over Mini-LEDs...yet...and they consume more energy...so less energy efficient.

For the Rich dudes out there...the future is in Laser TV short throw projection....looks absolutely stunning.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Oct 1st, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11778 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto
Str8Grumpz wrote: So Sony is letting some retailers know they won't shipping enough units to satisfy all presales, prior to Christmas.

Yeah...that sucks that not all pre-orders will be fulfilled in time for the holidays.

That's why some of us tried to Pre-Order from more than one place to get a higher chance to at least getting one Pre-Order fulfilled in time.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1460 posts
1160 upvotes
St Catharines
Scorpionsy wrote: OK, but you wanna buy a TV to future proof your purchase. Plus, in 2021 and beyond you will have that limitation fixed somehow with newer TVs and console updates.

Also...again I don't recommend OLED for gaming due to burn-ins for those who play long sessions.

QD-OLED...and even better Q-LED are where higher priced investments should be.

But for most people with Budgets...I recommend Mini-LED to avoid the burn ins and have better colour in brighter lit rooms.

But Mini-LED will be better available and improved on in 2021. That's why I recommend waiting.

I am on the fence with Dual-Cell TVs...have not seen any true benefits over Mini-LEDs...yet...and they consume more energy...so less energy efficient.

For the Rich dudes out there...the future is in Laser TV short throw projection....looks absolutely stunning.
Just saying if you want to get a new TV now, 10-bit vs 12-bit isn't a deal breaker. But yeah if you can wait another year and absolutely want to maximize your results from these gaming consoles, wait for 48Gbps HDMI 2.1.
I agree with your other points too. Although OLED burn-in has been drastically reduced, it IS still possible, so Q-LED is the way to go if you do say 75% or more gaming.
Dual cell has HUGE potential. Sony is using dual cell in their BVM-HX310 and it looks AMAZING based on test results and Vincent Teoh's review. Mind you that's a reference monitor but it gives you an idea what it's capable of.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1067 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto, ON
2kfire wrote: This is only for 12-bit. Both consoles have been confirmed to support 10-bit 4k 120Hz 4:4:4. Even if TVs come out next year with support for 48Gbps, the panels themselves won't be able to display 12-bits, just like the 9-series OLEDs (support 48Gbps but are only 10-bit panels).
Tried to find this, but having trouble. Anyone know where Sony and Microsoft have confirmed 10-bit 4k 120Hz 4:4:4 for the new consoles?

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 5 guests)

giltron, killuminati, julien716