Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2021 1:11 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1363 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
Yeah canceling the order makes no sense.
Why not just backlog it and say what the ETA would be.
Another 2 weeks? 3 weeks? 4? Whatever, just tell me.
Jan 17, 2008
704 posts
338 upvotes
JohnF100 wrote: I genuinely hate this business model Sony follows. Making it so only a few people could pre-order the PS5 so the "perceived" value could rise and make it look like a premium limited-time item. In reality, Sony is a multi-billionaire company that could literally fulfill every order if they wanted to. Why bother limiting it? People are going to buy it at regular price anyway. You don't see Apple doing this whenever they release a new iPhone model.
Except Apple phones have sold out on release day on a number of occasions.

Also, Apple phones and Sony's gaming consoles like apple and oranges. Apple's markup on their phones are ridiculous. They can afford to manufacture all those phones at release because they'll make that money back multiple times over. You asked why does Sony 'bother limiting it?' Sony isn't making much money on these units at release. They might even be taking an initial loss but their manufacturing costs reduce over time. So from a business stand-point it makes perfect sense to limit their release day numbers somewhat. If Apple had to sell their phones at a loss do you think they would pump out as many phones as they could on release day to satisfy consumer demand? I am very doubtful.
Nov 18, 2010
132 posts
125 upvotes
Alicalabra wrote: I wonder if we can figure out the "cutoff" time for these cancellation, if this matter my order for the disk version of the ps5 was processed at 10:01 pm on Sept. 16 (as showed on the walmart website).
My with disc order was 9:46pm EST on the 16th. Still not cancelled so fingers crossed 🤞
Sep 4, 2017
360 posts
617 upvotes
jestik wrote: Except Apple phones have sold out on release day on a number of occasions.

Also, Apple phones and Sony's gaming consoles like apple and oranges. Apple's markup on their phones are ridiculous. They can afford to manufacture all those phones at release because they'll make that money back multiple times over. You asked why does Sony 'bother limiting it?' Sony isn't making much money on these units at release. They might even be taking an initial loss but their manufacturing costs reduce over time. So from a business stand-point it makes perfect sense to limit their release day numbers somewhat. If Apple had to sell their phones at a loss do you think they would pump out as many phones as they could on release day to satisfy consumer demand? I am very doubtful.
I think you are forgetting to factor in Sony's total profit if you add PlayStation plus, accessories and digital purchasing (WHICH they are trying to push).
They might even be taking an initial loss but their manufacturing costs reduce over time.
What proof do you have that their profit margins are this razor thin? The Xbox X is literally the same price as the PS5, yet it has much better (and I assume) more expensive hardware/specs.
Except Apple phones have sold out on release day on a number of occasions.
How long does it take Apple to replenish stock? I also said pre-ordering, NOT on release day. It's expected to sell-out on release day, and even then, it doesn't take them weeks/months to restock.
Mar 1, 2016
59 posts
60 upvotes
I had a God of War Limited Edition PS4 that I just sold last week for $400. Did not include any games or extra controllers, just the console with 1 matching controller.
Paid $565 after taxes for it back in 2018 so not too bad of a return on a used console. Had other offers for less that I was going to entertain until someone else came around offering my asking price of $400.

I have my one PS5 console disc version pre order with Best Buy, and y’all got me worried so I went to check on it just now, and so far so good. Still “in progress”. But I will keep an eye on it now! I’m gameless until the PS5 arrival, or I could just sub to Apple Arcade in the meantime.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1460 posts
1160 upvotes
St Catharines
I haven't received a cancellation notice from Walmart, got the confirmation at Sep. 16, 2020, 8:37 p.m.

My Best Buy order is also still showing "In Progress".

Fingers crossed!
Oct 27, 2012
449 posts
234 upvotes
roeroe wrote: Did you grab one for your auntie and one for your grandpapa too? What a joke...

This is exactly why they need to have limits on orders. I hope all your crap gets cancelled.
I am actually telling the truth. but believe what you want I don't have to answer to you. What's the difference between me ordering 4 of them versus my brother/friends ordering their own at the same time? Either way, the outcome is the same.
Jun 20, 2009
224 posts
225 upvotes
edmonton
Supertrash17 wrote: I am actually telling the truth. but believe what you want I don't have to answer to you. What's the difference between me ordering 4 of them versus my brother/friends ordering their own at the same time? Either way, the outcome is the same.
Last thing you should be worried about are RFD trolls. You do you bro.
Mar 3, 2012
260 posts
140 upvotes
HAMILTON
My order is still good at best buy

Order Date: 16 Sep 2020, 16:21:20

EDIT
here is the link for Sunday's Japan gaming festival
Nov 21, 2016
23 posts
9 upvotes
Same here, mine changed to processing last night.

Items processing | 1:26 am
Nov 29, 2016
98 posts
51 upvotes
So is that mean we won't have a cancelation email?
Jun 24, 2019
48 posts
27 upvotes
Same here.
Items processing | 2:05 am
Expected delivery Nov 13.
Crossing fingers.
Feb 19, 2019
154 posts
55 upvotes
From what I read above, it seems cancelations are only happening for the bundle pre-orders?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Sep 18, 2020
12 posts
9 upvotes
domenic72 wrote: Go to My Orders and click on Track
Ah don't think I can see then, I used guest checkout.

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 2 guests)

chilli604, Skippyjiff, jcd2418, dimitri2401, bboris77, Hamann