Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 12:29 am
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2630 posts
2809 upvotes
GTA
DougO wrote: I sold stuff on eBay for almost 20 years. Finally gave it up a couple years back. Too many hassles after awhile. I had 400 positives and no negatives. I was looking recently and some stuff I collected over the years could possibly be used to subsidize these kinds of purchases. One in particular caught my eye recently, the trend of selling old videotapes as used tapes intended to be reused. Hah! People are after them for the old content on them. I have literally hundreds of tapes like that. Some, depending on the content, can command prices in the hundreds of dollars! Selling a few would fund all these new purchases. But these days, I can't even be bothered...
What? Don't tell me this, I just gave away a bunch on Kijiji...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2009
1119 posts
395 upvotes
Laval
I forgot to close my tab for Walmart, it's been on a constant refresh since yesterday evening. I wonder how many PS5's I missed.

Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 19th, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was removed
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11700 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Judging from Ebay and Kijiji, the idiot scalpers did as well as they always do.
There were always gonna be scalpers getting a bunch of PS5s...but this time they didn't get as many as they had hoped to because of the random unannounced Pre-Order times online...not enough time to set their bots to target the sales online.

We benefited a lot from that Pre-Order random timing.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2874 posts
3738 upvotes
Edmonton
Gary320 wrote: I forgot to close my tab for Walmart, it's been on a constant refresh since yesterday evening. I wonder how many PS5's I missed.

Adjusted for inflation the price is actually less than some past PS's. It's a killer deal for what you get for specs.
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 19th, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2009
1119 posts
395 upvotes
Laval
Blubbs wrote: Adjusted for inflation the price is actually less than some past PS's. It's a killer deal for what you get for specs.
Don't have to convince me. Although I'm planning on selling my Switch and Spiderman PS4 Pro for the costs of the PS5 that I'll finally preorder one day.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11700 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Well we don't know how many of those are straight up scammers or Average Joe's with a single preorder who just want to cash in. People just have to show self control and not order from them because they are a) motivating this kind of behaviour and b) under greater risk of being ripped off. Can't wait to hear the sob stories on the 6 o'clock news of people who didn't buy from a legitimate retailer once November rolls around - "Father robbed of money when purchasing PS5 - are you under risk??????"
I wish the same cautionary tale can be said about people buying into Digital Download only PS5 editions.

It's a test by Sony to see how many people are gonna join this time around on the "Digital Only" bandwagon.

Then, when they have the numbers...just like NetFlix did with Blockbuster Video....then they will kill the Middle-Man (used games stores are the target here...especially GameStop / EB Games). It's not good news for physical media or consumers ultimately.

But people are foolish enough to give away their rights to Sony/Microsoft when they "buy" a licence to a digital only title that can't be traded/shared/sold after purchase as they could with a Physical Disc. Convenience/laziness will blind them.

Then when Sony/Microsoft are in control they will set whatever prices they want for Digital only games/content and can set new rules to the use of Digital purchases (like make it "buy" the right to play a game...but not "own" it indefinitely).

People are giving up their purchase rights big time by adopting Digital only platforms...and will regret it years/decades down the road. They are shooting themselves in the foot...and don't know it yet.

Digital only content is anti-consumer in my opinion and serves only to benefit/empower/profit these large Corporations.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 16, 2020
31 posts
28 upvotes
Refreshed Best Buy PS5 product page and the pre-order button was available, unfortunately when I added to cart it was out of stock.
Mar 4, 2019
192 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
Is it out of stock everywhere?
Say NO to Racism!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11700 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
dyalect wrote: Roll out was a mess. They should have prioritized so that people who already owned a ps4 with an active account could get units. Not some scalper who probably bought 5 from each site. Garbage.
That's another mess they did.

First, they said certain active PS Network accounts will get Pre-Order invitations notifications by Email. They lied...it never happened.

Even though I believe it was their intention to do so. Why?

Because this was Sony's way of testing the market to see how many people they selected with the invitations would buy with PS5 models and how many will bow out of buying. They wanted to test their Pricepoints first before going public with them.

I am sure they were gonna charge at least $50 to $100 more for the PS5 Disc and Digital versions...that is why they were quiet.

But Microsoft's unplanned price leak...which forced them to confirm the Xbox models leaked prices formally had put Sony in a corner.

So Sony's plans were interrupted and had to scramble.

That is why the Email Invites for PS5 Pre-Orders were never pushed through as planned/announced...and that is why Sony unceremoniously had to REDUCE their planned higher purchase prices of the PS5 models...to compete with the lower XBox Series X/S prices...by just quietly posting the unintended new lower prices at the end of the recent PlayStation Showcase.

Microsoft basically ruining Sony's price testing plan and structure. If Sony did not make a quick change decision and had not dropped it's prices for PS5...Microsoft would have won the Next-Gen Console Price Wars for sure...at least initially.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11700 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: I sold stuff on eBay for almost 20 years. Finally gave it up a couple years back. Too many hassles after awhile. I had 400 positives and no negatives. I was looking recently and some stuff I collected over the years could possibly be used to subsidize these kinds of purchases. One in particular caught my eye recently, the trend of selling old videotapes as used tapes intended to be reused. Hah! People are after them for the old content on them. I have literally hundreds of tapes like that. Some, depending on the content, can command prices in the hundreds of dollars! Selling a few would fund all these new purchases. But these days, I can't even be bothered...
Yeah, VHS collection is becoming a hot market again like the Vinyl Records collector market these days.

Check out a Documentary called "VHS Revolution."..and more VHS collectors documentaries out there.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 26, 2012
794 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
dyalect wrote: Not much. Market is going to be flooded very soon. Maybe $200 if your lucky.
Isn't trade in $250 right now at EB for a Pro 1TB?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2630 posts
2809 upvotes
GTA
oakley0023 wrote: Isn't trade in $250 right now at EB for a Pro 1TB?
$270, it went up by $20 when the preorders started
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5949 posts
398 upvotes
Calgary
oakley0023 wrote: Isn't trade in $250 right now at EB for a Pro 1TB?
it's 270 but you need to put it on a ps5 preorder that none of the stores have now...
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11700 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto

LOL! Thanks...that was a funny throwback video.

But I trump him because I....have FOUR PS3s!
(no, I really do have 4 of them)

Face With Tears Of Joy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)