Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 9:51 am
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4836 posts
1825 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: If people who plan to resell are stuck with 2 extra consoles worth $1400, they'll get pretty nervous as the return window starts to close on them. So for some not facing a quick turn around yeah, it could.
I'm not going to comment on how you subsidize your own console purchases as I don't completely agree with it. Honestly it is part of the reason that I myself don't participate on console launches. If I can't get something at cost or less, it had better be damned special for some reason. IMO consoles aren't, they're easy to find within 2 years, tops.
I probably would refrain if places with EB could get more allocation and actually honor the trade in deals. They don't so I have to revert to another option.
Mar 2, 2015
10 posts
Scarborough, ON
I have pre-ordered 2 items from Amazon, they don’t actually hold it for you. I’ve been waiting 1 month and counting. Better off pre-ordering from somewhere else.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4836 posts
1825 upvotes
Ajax
Scorpionsy wrote: RFD helped you...and you kept up with the first smell of knowing it was listed.

But I said already in another post that some Scalpers did get a bunch of PS5s for sure....but only by scrambling when they found out.

Pro-Scalpers/Resellers usually use Bots/Software to snipe and buyout sought after products. You will see this happen with the Xbox Series X / S...next Tuesday. They now have ample time and a confirmed date and time. Also, some attempt to find backdoors to the product page to get an edge (as what happened with PS5 on some sites).

Just watch the mayhem next Tuesday...followed by complaints that many peope couldn't get their hands on one as they sold out in minutes.
Um no while I love RFD, it did not help in this instance. Social media feeds helped and I was generally prepared. Are we absolutely sure that Xbox is anticipated to be as hot as PS5? I do not think so, but we will see. Meaning, like you mentioned above, there could be a lot of returns on December 12th.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Going to try but it is what it is. Whatever happens, happens. From my own experience with PS4 and Xbox One when it came to reselling, PS4 was gone within 24-48 hrs., Xbox One took up to a week. Not sure if anything has changed since then.
I think the Xbox will resell this time the same way as before...behind the PS5 sales and take longer to sell.

The reason is that most people will attempt to get a PS5 (like parents for Xmas gifts for example)...and when they find it hard or too expensive to buy a PS5 from a reseller...they will look towards getting the Xbox instead as an alternative. That's why you see the delay in selling Xbox vs a PlayStation console.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
oakley0023 wrote: I lined up and preordered one yesterday at EB for $100. But then the question becomes, what do I play for the next 8 weeks?
If you have another older console...like the one you wanna trade in...someone here said EB Games allows you several weeks to do the Trade In later...not on the spot....so you can play some games on that one still for now.

Or on PC if you have a good setup.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 26, 2018
117 posts
230 upvotes
Scorpionsy wrote: If you have another older console...like the one you wanna trade in...someone here said EB Games allows you several weeks to do the Trade In later...not on the spot....so you can play sone stuff on that one.

The current trade boost promo ends on Oct. 1
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: It's on Prime for $2 and not part of my sub. But I lived that era. Still have all my old collectors/traders mags like The Videophile's Newsletter. Without that mag, anime tape trading would not have come about (at least not from my end) in 1980, when it was still a thing mostly in California only. But i was the first one in Canada to set up a trading network for anime directly from Japan. Good times...
Awesome!

Well then this Documentary movie released recently is right up your alley...called "VHS Lives 2 - Undead Format"

Nostalgia will be heavy for you with that one.

This one guy in that Documenary did the same as you...and has so many unopened VHS blank tapes that he said he'll never need to look for blank ones again (since they recently closed the last global VHS Cassette manufacturing facility...somewhere).

Also, check out the other Documentary called "VHS Massacre" (about VHS cult and rare films).
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Um no while I love RFD, it did not help in this instance. Social media feeds helped and I was generally prepared. Are we absolutely sure that Xbox is anticipated to be as hot as PS5? I do not think so, but we will see. Meaning, like you mentioned above, there could be a lot of returns on December 12th.
Well...I meant to add also social networks but forgot...but you got the gist of what I meant.

You were prepared and followed up with the random releases of Pre-Orders...many were not.

Yeah, I don't think Xbox will be as hot a seller as PS5...but the frenzy and FOMO will probably sell them out very quickly as well....even if we afterwards see returns from some customers.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2199 posts
2947 upvotes
Windsor
Scorpionsy wrote: If you have another older console...like the one you wanna trade in...someone here said EB Games allows you several weeks to do the Trade In later...not on the spot....so you can play sone stuff on that one.

That was EB Australia...

Cant remember if Canada had this. Not for the last couple years IIRC.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
jawnamuffins wrote: The current trade boost promo ends on Oct. 1
OK...so he has a couple of weeks almost to play games on it before the Trade-in deadline.

But then again...PC or handheld can keep him busy for a few weeks after.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
mymuro wrote: That was EB Australia...

Cant remember if Canada had this. Not for the last couple years IIRC.
Jawnamuffins just said that you can...till Oct. 1.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5946 posts
393 upvotes
Calgary
Scorpionsy wrote: If you have another older console...like the one you wanna trade in...someone here said EB Games allows you several weeks to do the Trade In later...not on the spot....so you can play some games on that one still for now.

they actually dont do this for this ps4 trade in, i asked them about this yesterday and you have to do the trade right away (or i guess before oct 1st if you pay $100 preorder deposit)

so you guys are saying vhs are in demand?!? so my old star wars trilogy on vhs is worth something?
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
markj wrote: they actually dont do this for this ps4 trade in, i asked them about this yesterday and you have to do the trade right away (or i guess before oct 1st)
Yeah...at least a customer can still play for a couple of weeks almost on their old console before trade-in.
Mar 6, 2006
424 posts
89 upvotes
Kelowna
parlaminty wrote: Does anyone know if the PS5 can play 3D Blu ray discs? I have a large collection of 3D movies and a high end 3D 80” tv in my theatre/gaming room (when they last made them).

I’d like to get rid of my launch PS4 to offset the cost of the PS5 but don’t want to do so if the PS5 can’t play 3D blu rays.
I am in the same situation, thanks for bringing this up, I would have overlooked the 3D capability. Sorry I don't know the answer, but I am interested.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11697 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
I've been away from RFD for several months...so maybe someone can enlighten me...

Is the "Ongoing Deals Discussions" section for deals that are active but not "Hot" anymore or what?

As far as I recall...most non-Hot deals were moved to "Expired Deals" or "Shopping" Discussions, no?

But if a deal was Hot...and still going on in one way or another...why would it be moved from it's original location in "Hot Deals"?

I ask...because if it was still "Ongoing" but not as hot a topic...it would automatically be pushed down the "Hot Deals" list anyway, right?

So why move it...if it's "Ongoing"?

Just curious.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 17 users viewing this thread. (14 members and 3 guests)

dpvu, HaroonA84694, dyckia, Hidrosmen, JustinJ48320, Mlj223, Jiggasupreme, Stud450, zaidem, UN7RUTH, timnich, DrChau, thafreak, thewerd