Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 4:17 am
Member
Apr 5, 2010
322 posts
156 upvotes
EB Games' trade-in offer for the PS5 is no loner displayed on their website (even though it was supposed to run until October). I'm guessing this is because they have no more pre-orders available. The trade in values are back to "normal":

709809 Playstation 4 Console (500GB) Playstation 4 $135.00 (was $215 on the promo)
722338 Playstation 4 Console (1TB) Playstation 4 $165.00 (was $235 on the promo)
727872 Playstation 4 PRO Console (1TB) Playstation 4 $225.00 (was $270 on the promo)
Newbie
Sep 11, 2020
37 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal,QC
AznDawg101 wrote: As it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to get a pre order. Does anyone know how buying from a “scalper” usually works? Will they give me their receipt (bestbuy, Walmart) or no? Just thinking it’s a big purchase without having anyway to return it if any issues. Do I need the receipt for warranty?
For the love of God , don't help them out , these guys are ruining so many kids xmas holidays , specially during times when most kids are stuck at home and bored as hell . I still didn't manage to secure one for my nephew, I can afford to go the scalper route too , but refuse to pay more than MSRP.

If only all stores would take the full payments right away , we wouldn't be here today as I doubt someone who orders 100 units+ has 60-70k laying around...
Member
May 29, 2007
260 posts
8 upvotes
Scorpionsy wrote: RFD helped you...and you kept up with the first smell of knowing it was listed.

But I said already in another post that some Scalpers did get a bunch of PS5s for sure....but only by scrambling when they found out.

Pro-Scalpers/Resellers usually use Bots/Software to snipe and buyout sought after products. You will see this happen with the Xbox Series X / S...next Tuesday. They now have ample time and a confirmed date and time. Also, some attempt to find backdoors to the product page to get an edge (as what happened with PS5 on some sites).

Just watch the mayhem next Tuesday...followed by complaints that many peope couldn't get their hands on one as they sold out in minutes.
you are very right

this is an rare time where most people were on level grounds because bots were not used.
Newbie
May 30, 2018
10 posts
10 upvotes
HotDealFreak wrote: For the love of God , don't help them out , these guys are ruining so many kids xmas holidays , specially during times when most kids are stuck at home and bored as hell . I still didn't manage to secure one for my nephew, I can afford to go the scalper route too , but refuse to pay more than MSRP.

If only all stores would take the full payments right away , we wouldn't be here today as I doubt someone who orders 100 units+ has 60-70k laying around...
They are not only ruining kids holidays, they are ruining mine too :(
Member
May 8, 2012
359 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa
bromance wrote: you are very right

this is an rare time where most people were on level grounds because bots were not used.
The only difference is that xbox tends to have more stock and/or be less in demand.
Member
Nov 3, 2009
341 posts
111 upvotes
Winnipeg
Roswell79 wrote: Also you can always go camp outside a Best Buy or Walmart or ToysRUS on launch day. Usually 4 hours before store opening is sufficient and if the store is nice they give out numbers really early.

My best memories on launch was lining up super early and talking with people inline (Might not be possible anymore in these times)
I camped out for a Wii at best buy. dead of winter. after a couple of hours, they came out and handed out numbers. they had 25 numbers. I was number 26 in line. Went home and nursed my frostbite
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
18435 posts
5297 upvotes
markj wrote: they actually dont do this for this ps4 trade in, i asked them about this yesterday and you have to do the trade right away (or i guess before oct 1st if you pay $100 preorder deposit)

so you guys are saying vhs are in demand?!? so my old star wars trilogy on vhs is worth something?
Only the silver box ones (widescreen). The gold case ones are effectively worthless. But I had a copy recorded from a hotel PPV back in the day recorded by a bud who smuggled in his Betamax. As I recall, that one does not say Chapter 4 as there was no thought of a sequel when the first film was released. Only thing is I can't find that copy among the 5,000 other tapes I own...
Sr. Member
Nov 19, 2017
856 posts
1928 upvotes
Toronto
DerekK912 wrote: EB Games' trade-in offer for the PS5 is no loner displayed on their website (even though it was supposed to run until October). I'm guessing this is because they have no more pre-orders available. The trade in values are back to "normal":

709809 Playstation 4 Console (500GB) Playstation 4 $135.00 (was $215 on the promo)
722338 Playstation 4 Console (1TB) Playstation 4 $165.00 (was $235 on the promo)
727872 Playstation 4 PRO Console (1TB) Playstation 4 $225.00 (was $270 on the promo)
Can someone confirm if this is the case in store and if they are running it without advertising it?
Member
Jan 10, 2011
414 posts
201 upvotes
Ottawa
grither wrote: I camped out for a Wii at best buy. dead of winter. after a couple of hours, they came out and handed out numbers. they had 25 numbers. I was number 26 in line. Went home and nursed my frostbite
That's such a sad story. I camped also for a Wii, lined up at midnight to be given a number by 7am (was given number 3). Was a present for my nephew so I was not about to lose my chance. I was frozen but it was worth it.

This community also helped me during the NES/SNES mini debacle.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 22, 2009
11612 posts
2636 upvotes
Toronto
Purgatory wrote: Probably because what makes this a hot deal? It’s being sold at full price, and is basically sold out everywhere right now. Not that I am complaining, I preordered a ps5 already, but it’s not exactly a deal.
While it may not have been a Hot Deal in the traditional way here...it is still in a way.

I think what makes this a "Hot Deal" is that the community here helped many of us get the PS5 Pre-Ordered before it sold out online. Without this thread BEING in Hot Deals many could have missed out.

So in my book...this thread...during the Pre-Order fiasco made it beling in the Hot Deals worth it.
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Sep 18th, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 9 guests)

Magiko