Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2021 8:57 am
Oct 10, 2018
32 posts
16 upvotes
smuPoker wrote: EBGames:
Got that an hour ago as well. I don’t recall getting an option to ship express with them though. Looking like these won’t make it out west for launch day.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2106 posts
1530 upvotes
Fredericton
calgaryflames wrote: Got that an hour ago as well. I don’t recall getting an option to ship express with them though. Looking like these won’t make it out west for launch day.
Yeah, I'm out east. Unless they decide to ship it overnight, I'm probably looking at Monday for mine. Kind of sucks, but at the very least, we have a detailed description of what they are doing. Unlike Walmart which is where my Series X preorder is.
Koodo - $39/10GB
Koodo - $70 Huawei P20
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4358 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
ragenrok wrote: This one shocked me though, turns out right now the xsx is actually beating the ps5 by a fair margin in load times for BC games. I'm sure ps5 native games will perform much different but its crazy how well the xsx nvme is working here.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-p ... k-33510845
I don't think it's that shocking if you think about how they are running them.

PS5 runs PS4 games in an emulation mode IIRC. Meanwhile the Xboxes are basically running like PC's that are running the same API's on faster/newer hardware. It's very likely that this will always be the case with BC games.

However, for native games, I believe we will see PS5 really pull away soon, as they have made the NVMe architecture essentially the focal point of the entire design, using more compresson on textures, even faster SSD, etc. XSX is also using NVMe, but doesn't seem to be quite as designed around pipelining 1-2 GB/s in textures from SSD to RAM as the PS5 is.
------

Furthermore, load times on some of the BC stuff is still atrocious; 40-60 seconds w/ NVMe is disgusting. Once new-gen stuff gets out there it's going to make playing anything last gen feel gross; <10 sec load times on the PS5 and <10s quick resume on XSX will be the new normal soon. Fun times!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1460 posts
1160 upvotes
St Catharines
For anyone that missed these points from recently deleted posts:
-Shoppers Drug Mart generally doesn't allow returns on electronics
-Shoppers Drug Mart senior's discount should be applicable
Sep 22, 2020
17 posts
23 upvotes
Just got back from my shoppers. The manager said they already got the preordered PS5s in so pickup on the 12th is a go.
Feb 10, 2020
30 posts
6 upvotes
tinny2889 wrote: So strange thing happened just now, I regularly keep refreshing pre order pages and this morning got add to cart option on ebgames, but after adding to cart won't let me checkout saying out of stock
So I never removed it from my cart and kept that page opened since morning refreshing it in between. All of a sudden after checking the tab again at 04:18pm the checkout button turned red, i just immidiately clicked on it and entered my card details and ordered it. Got the confirmation email. Had a different tab opened up as a guest and it didnt say in stock ever on the eb games site. So yeah expecting a cancellation email and not getting my hopes up thinking its some sort of a glitch. Anyone experienced this before? I know lots of pre orders got cancelled , asking about cancellations from eb games
Did you get the email from today re: shipping info from eb games? I didn't get it yet and I'm a little concerned. I also managed to snag a preorder by fluke. So far it's confirmed, and I've checked with them that the order is good, but it would be nice to get that shipping email...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5451 posts
1269 upvotes
This might be a silly Q but if you're redeeming points at Shoppers it's after tax, correct? So $629.99 + tax - point redemption?
Nov 22, 2017
73 posts
50 upvotes
Hifi2000 wrote: Did you get the email from today re: shipping info from eb games? I didn't get it yet and I'm a little concerned. I also managed to snag a preorder by fluke. So far it's confirmed, and I've checked with them that the order is good, but it would be nice to get that shipping email...
Yes I got the same exact email about details on shipping and charging from eb games at around 1:40 pm, maybe check your spam?? Or just contact them again. I was wary of this too but yeah got the email so far...I am assuming u will get one too soon if not right now
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
Hifi2000 wrote: Did you get the email from today re: shipping info from eb games? I didn't get it yet and I'm a little concerned. I also managed to snag a preorder by fluke. So far it's confirmed, and I've checked with them that the order is good, but it would be nice to get that shipping email...
Often companies send out emails like that in batches, to avoid getting flagged as spam. Since you JUST ordered, assuming the batches are going from oldest to newest, might be the case that you're at the end of the queue for receiving the email.
Sep 28, 2009
61 posts
61 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Preorder for in store pick up from the source, just received an email this morning it has shipped. Anyone else?
Apr 12, 2007
179 posts
88 upvotes
Was just at a local EB games in Edmonton (West Edmonton Mall) and they had received their preorders. Boxes in the back of the store with 2 PS5s to a box. My guess is they had about 30-40 units. The guy wouldn't even admit that they were PS5s. I must have looked sketchy or something lol
Feb 10, 2020
30 posts
6 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Often companies send out emails like that in batches, to avoid getting flagged as spam. Since you JUST ordered, assuming the batches are going from oldest to newest, might be the case that you're at the end of the queue for receiving the email.
tinny2889 wrote: Yes I got the same exact email about details on shipping and charging from eb games at around 1:40 pm, maybe check your spam?? Or just contact them again. I was wary of this too but yeah got the email so far...I am assuming u will get one too soon if not right now
Thanks guys. Just a little nervous about this one...
Nov 22, 2017
73 posts
50 upvotes
Hifi2000 wrote: Thanks guys. Just a little nervous about this one...
I am still too even if I received the email. But let's keep the hope alive!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
SDM is going to be offering online sales of the PS5 on launch day:

Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2899 posts
733 upvotes
Belle River
krazy_leb wrote: Was just at a local EB games in Edmonton (West Edmonton Mall) and they had received their preorders. Boxes in the back of the store with 2 PS5s to a box. My guess is they had about 30-40 units. The guy wouldn't even admit that they were PS5s. I must have looked sketchy or something lol
Was it the box size that made it easy to tell they were PS5 and not Xbox? Hmm let's see, two PS5s per box... so these boxes were about the size of a compact car??? :)

I was at The Source yesterday and the person working told me they had a bunch of Xbox or PS5 in the back, but not sure which because that person was not allowed to open them. I asked and they confirmed the boxes have the "Do Not Sell Before" stickers on them so they probably are consoles.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19295 posts
8837 upvotes
Oakville
Walmart launch day online sales will be late morning EST - no specific time yet, specific time will be announced only hours the sale's go-live time (less time for bots to prepare? But I would think hours would be plenty of time):

Oct 16, 2020
5 posts
6 upvotes
Just got an order confirmation from PC Express. I’m one of the people that got their initial pre-orders cancelled and got an e-mail offer shortly after.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 4 guests)

maximusbibicus, killuminati, slang75