Ongoing Deal Discussion

PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-orders are up (Best Buy, Walmart, EB Games, Amazon)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2023 10:52 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
8679 posts
10295 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
baz5 wrote: In a generation where people line up for a $1000 phone, I disagree.
I'd be willing to bet the venn diagram of people who line up for phone launches and people who drop $$$ on consoles does not have a very large overlap.

And those things don't have anything to do with each other anyways. Factoring in taxes this thing's launch cost is like $250 more than the PS4. Even the $500+tax is an absurd amount of money to drop on something that has no ability to play physical media.

I honestly can't see the PS5 selling anywhere near as many units as the PS4.
Mar 21, 2019
126 posts
195 upvotes
Ordered standard version. I really don't get the point of the 825GB SSD in both the standard and the Digital.

If they want to encourage people to buy the Digital Edition, they should've put a bigger hard drive.

But, it's sold out everywhere anyway. Who am I to talk.
Oct 30, 2012
432 posts
795 upvotes
No idea why anyone buys a console at launch, are there any games ready to be released with it in 2 months time?

I'll be looking for 2021 Black Friday deals at the VERY earliest.

Also, this is not a deal? This is the most expensive this item will ever be?
Mar 17, 2012
40 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
purplekush604 wrote: Just ordered the digital edition at 828pm Pacific time with estimated delivery date of November 19th.
Can I ask which site you ordered from?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
mrkdwd wrote: No idea why anyone buys a console at launch, are there any games ready to be released with it in 2 months time?

I'll be looking for 2021 Black Friday deals at the VERY earliest.

Also, this is not a deal? This is the most expensive this item will ever be?
FOMO is real.

People buy because they can return if they don't like but you can't buy later if there is no stock.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2010
1917 posts
842 upvotes
Surrey
jsnwng wrote: Can I ask which site you ordered from?
Walmart.ca
I was clicking refresh for awhile
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Is there any retailer that still has stock right now other than The Source? All of The Source's locations near me have closed.. plus The Source is a crappy company to deal with in the first place. Maybe I'll have to wait for Amazon tomorrow.
Nobody cares which companies you use/subscribe to on a monthly basis unless there is a deal to be had. Why advertise for them in your forum signature?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
I would be scared to put any money with EBgames TBH....I have a feeling they might not survive after this pandemic.
Board games!!!!
Feb 8, 2020
464 posts
1333 upvotes
Crazy the frenzy and admiration that these consoles have

Yet another generation where Sony increases the cost of games and controllers for literally no reason, just to increase profit margins to prop up the rest of their struggling businesses

It's so sad that they feast off of customers that are fine with paying more money for the same exact product, very similar to Apple

I understood the appeal of these back in highschool when it was the system that all of my friends played on and there was the peer pressure effect, but these days crossplay is too common to make that a factor at all

$700 console
$100 required extra controller
$100 for each game
$60 first year of online membership

Just madness, Covid really has left people with too much spending money and free time on their hands
Last edited by 23LeBronJames on Sep 16th, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 28, 2019
172 posts
84 upvotes
bobbings wrote: FOMO is real.

People buy because they can return if they don't like but you can't buy later if there is no stock.
Please be warned, items return policy changed during the covid environment. A lot of companies state explicitly they do not accept return.
Dec 26, 2006
571 posts
261 upvotes
Calgary
kooltilltheen wrote: WTF! I was expecting pre-orders to begin tomorrow based on the PS5 stream so went out for a bit. Just came back and now the console is OOS everywhere

Friggin Sony screwed me over!
Sony didn’t do anything. Retailers are desperate for sales because of COVID. One domino fell and it was done.
Dec 19, 2006
875 posts
901 upvotes
Vancouver
martlgore wrote: just saw the image of the new thing... can't understand why in this day and age why this is so big... can it just be like a Mac Mini or Nintendo Switch size? Guess not...
There's an 8-core Zen 2 CPU that goes up to 3.5 GHz in there along with a 10.28 TFLOP RDNA 2 GPU. You don't want to try to stick that into a compact form factor unless you want it to throttle the moment you try to boot up a game. Once they have the manufacturing process mastered, they'll work on shrinking the size of the console in some way - this happens with every console generation. But even then, you're going to have to curb your expectations a lot because of the power requirements and, thus, thermal limitations. Also, the smaller you want a device to get, the more it's going to cost to do so.
Last edited by ocisnicola on Sep 16th, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
BadBichLover wrote: Please be warned, items return policy changed during the covid environment. A lot of companies state explicitly they do not accept return.
I'm sure people would rather sell on Kijiji than return it.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: I would be scared to put any money with EBgames TBH....I have a feeling they might not survive after this pandemic.
If they go out, they'll make sure to sell the PS5 first.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 19, 2005
551 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: I would be scared to put any money with EBgames TBH....I have a feeling they might not survive after this pandemic.
Release date is literally less than 2 months away and they're getting $100 deposit from each preorder. They'll be fine at least until it comes out.
Dec 28, 2019
172 posts
84 upvotes
I think the dics version is also out in WM. It lets you to proceed in the pre-order but at the end it is oos.
Dec 8, 2009
678 posts
441 upvotes
Edmonton
Damn, I honestly didn't think the PS5 would be this popular. Does anyone even know which games are releasing on launch day? I remember when I got my PS4 on launch I pretty much never touched it for a year until some decent games came out.

I was thinking of pre-ordering at EB games to offload my loud as hell PS4 Pro but they're only going to offer $270 for it which seems like a rip-off. Plus they'll probably go bankrupt before it launches lmao.
Last edited by Killmassacre on Sep 16th, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I know, but with so many bigger retailers, there are (or supposed to be) better options. I'm sure 2 months is no big deal, but EBgames is just a shell of itself now. I go in to buy a game these days...no preorder, no stock. They are probably running so lean because they can't afford to sit on inventory.
kwokinator wrote: Release date is literally less than 2 months away and they're getting $100 deposit from each preorder. They'll be fine at least until it comes out.
Board games!!!!