PC & Video Games

Playstation Store: Can't use credit card to buy games?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2011 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
854 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver

Playstation Store: Can't use credit card to buy games?

Anybody have problems buying games from PSN using a credit card? I added a VISA to my account but couldn't add funds to my wallet because it said my information was invalid but I verified it with the bank. Two days ago, I managed to log on to PSN from my PSP and buy a game using the automatic funding option where it charged my credit card directly instead of using the wallet. Today I try to buy another game but it gives me error code 80551002. Also tried with Media Go and it gives me error 80023102. I've searched for this and it says it's a connection problem. Sony didn't say the store was under maintenance so what gives? My internet is fine.

Both email and phone customer support are useless. They keep telling me they can't do anything because it's a credit card problem and kept pushing me to buy a PSN card. I don't want to use those cards becuase I'd end up paying more than I have to for games. For example, if I get a $20.00 card I won't be able to buy two $9.99 games because it will charge me tax during checkout. That means I'd have to get another $20.00 and the rest of the cash will sit there if I don't have anything else to buy. Man, PSN is so damn frustrating.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7925 posts
1365 upvotes
zero383 wrote: blah, blah, blah, blah..........
Man, PSN is so damn frustrating.

You should try Microsoft Points on xbox live ;)
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17650 posts
678 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: You should try Microsoft Points on xbox live ;)

lol, but then he needs to pay for live.

No but in all seriousness this is odd. What CC type is it? Its not a prepaid is it? Its also very very possible that the problem was actually with something on the CCs end and its network. Hard to say really. Id call the CC rather than the bank myself.
Aug 21, 2009
999 posts
180 upvotes
Check the address on your PSN and your CC. They should be identical.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7925 posts
1365 upvotes
Super strokey wrote: lol, but then he needs to pay for live.

No but in all seriousness this is odd. What CC type is it? Its not a prepaid is it? Its also very very possible that the problem was actually with something on the CCs end and its network. Hard to say really. Id call the CC rather than the bank myself.

No, you don't need to pay for live to buy games, dlc, movies, etc... You only need to pay for gold to play multiplayer
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20766 posts
4893 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I'm having the same problems for the last 8 months and have no idea what's wrong.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17650 posts
678 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: No, you don't need to pay for live to buy games, dlc, movies, etc... You only need to pay for gold to play multiplayer

it wasnt meant to be taken seriously, same as your comment wasnt.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4266 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
My friend just did that for a game he purchased with my CC like 2 weeks ago. Worked with no issues.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
854 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
Still having problems. I've been locked out of changing my credit card deatils on PSN for the second time now. Gotta wait another 24hours before trying again.

It's an RBC VISA not a pre-paid that I've been using for years at retail stores and online with NO issues. It's not expired or anything. The information is entered in exactly as my bank has it, I had called RBC to confirm. They tell me they see transaction attempts from Sony but they failed because of Address and/or Postal code mismatch but I've typed everything exactly. They also told me that the transaction was approved on RBC/VISA's end but Sony denied it. WTF?

What I don't get is why I was able to buy a game on Thursday and it shows on my credit card history? If my credit card details were wrong how was that possible?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4266 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Dude call up sony or something to sort it out. Sounds like its a problem on their end if RBC is saying your getting a green light from them when trying to attempt a transaction with the Visa.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
854 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
Zero1 wrote: Dude call up sony or something to sort it out. Sounds like its a problem on their end if RBC is saying your getting a green light from them when trying to attempt a transaction with the Visa.

I've called Sony 3 times and I've told them the bank says it's okay and that it's a problem with Sony. He told me to deactivate/activate the PSP, remove and re-enter the billing information. So I did that and now my account is blocked for another 24 hours. Then he says "Oh, then you have to wait and try again." They keep telling me to buy a PSN card because they can't do anything to help me as they have no problems on their end.

I tried another VISA (Best Buy) and I get the same error code. I called card services and they said they see a $1.00 test transaction that was approved. If this is a problem with Sony's end, why aren't they saying they have a problem?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
1672 posts
32 upvotes
I've bought several thing over PSN with my CC and never had an issue ... that's strange
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
854 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
Have you tried within the last few days? It worked once for me last Thursday but that was it. Even then, I was unable to manually add funds to the wallet but I used the "automatic funding" option to make the purchase.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8275 posts
1834 upvotes
Toronto
Do you live in an apartment/condo with a suite number? I remember I had problems getting PSN to accept my card address and eventually I got it to work by messing around with the address suite number.

For example if you live at 100 ABC street, suite 812, your address should be:

812-100 ABC Street

No spaces around the dash. My very first attempt was with spaces before and after the dash, and PSN would not accept it until I removed the spaces.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
854 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
No I don't live in an apt. This is the format of my address. It's the same address that was in there when I was able to purchase a game last Thursday so it does work. I've confirmed with the bank every letter, space and case.

1234 MAIN ST E
VANCOUVER, BC
X1X 1X1
Jan 8, 2011
1 posts
albania
I've added 5 pounds to my wallet, but I cannot buy anything with it. An error shows up.
In my playstation network account I've set the Country/Region to "United Kingdom", because my country was not in the list (Albania).
My credit card is albanian. I can buy online without problems.

This sucks so much
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1036 posts
4 upvotes
Got a new card, and now i am having these issues. Trying to update my info on the account with the RBC Visa.

123-321 Address Hill Dr. or is it 123-321 ADDRESS HILL DRIVE or 123-321 ADDRESS HILL DR . I hate this system they have on PSN getting invalid info. Am i suppose to type everything in CAPS?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1036 posts
4 upvotes
1 hr into his trying to figure why it won't accept my info and address. What stores can i get PSN cards any problems or risk to them? Guys at the Sony end aren't a big help laying blaming to the bank, bank to the sony people never ending cycle.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
854 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
Johan Liebert wrote: Got a new card, and now i am having these issues. Trying to update my info on the account with the RBC Visa.

123-321 Address Hill Dr. or is it 123-321 ADDRESS HILL DRIVE or 123-321 ADDRESS HILL DR . I hate this system they have on PSN getting invalid info. Am i suppose to type everything in CAPS?

Type in the address exactly how it appears on your bill. If it's in CAPS type in the same way. I managed to get it working with my AMEX card. If you enter the info correctly PSN will put a temporary $1.00 hold on funds on the card. I waited a full week after this and the card worked. If it says you've been locked out, wait 24 hours and try again.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
854 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
I got my cards from Best Buy. If you have their rewards VISA you'll get triple points. Eg: if you buy a $50 card (50 base points + 50 bonus VISA points + 50 gamer club points).