PSN double discounts for PSN Plus members on selective games

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2021 9:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3376 posts
3997 upvotes

[PlayStation Store] PSN double discounts for PSN Plus members on selective games

Seems like PSN store is running some 'double discounts for PSN plus members' for certain games.
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/14 ... n-store-2/

You can check the pricing here:
https://store.playstation.com/category/ ... -pl-419850
20 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4169 posts
197 upvotes
Tahsis
Huh cool, I think I’ll grab RDR2 and CTR at those prices.
Dec 3, 2018
247 posts
492 upvotes
Sony has this sale usually twice a year and it's probably the worst sale they put on being that if your a non-PS+ member it's a terrible sale and if you're a PS+ member the prices are usually warm at best. CTR? Wow on sale now with double discounts for PS+ members only for the low low price of $19.99! Oh wait, it's been on sale before for $17.49 which everyone could buy. Immortals Fenyx Rising wow now on sale for $31.11 for PS+ members only for an incredible low price of $31.99. Oh wait, it was literally just on sale last month for $31.99 which everyone could buy. Here's a funny one; Hitman 2 Gold. Yeah, while regular Hitman 2 is free this month for PS+ members if they want to take advantage of this double discounts sale they can own Hitman 2 Gold for $20.79. However, Hitman 2 Gold was on a regular sale available to everyone just a couple months back for $19.49.

Yes, time machines don't exist. I'm just pointing to a few examples that the double discounts sale basically takes terrible sale prices for non-PS+ members and doubles the terrible discount into making them regular sale prices most of which have been offered before at even lower prices to everyone in past sales, not just PS+ members.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2013
2564 posts
4323 upvotes
Toronto
The same 300+ games on sale again, WOW. I rather have small hand picked titles reduced heavily.
Apr 14, 2010
26 posts
15 upvotes
Waterloo
Kishnabe wrote: The same 300+ games on sale again, WOW. I rather have small hand picked titles reduced heavily.
The "funny" part here is there are actually pretty strong regulations in Canada about how often things can be on sale (i.e. if it's always 10% off, it's not actually because 10% off is the normal price). SportChek got nailed for this a long time ago (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le4220527/).

Would be nice for the Competition Bureau to look into the e-shops for this...
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4943 posts
3540 upvotes
The Fallen Legions games are a good buy for ~$5. Review is mediocre but this is the cheapest way to play them since the disc versions are not common and cost around $80+.
Aug 1, 2018
110 posts
92 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
christapo wrote: The "funny" part here is there are actually pretty strong regulations in Canada about how often things can be on sale (i.e. if it's always 10% off, it's not actually because 10% off is the normal price). SportChek got nailed for this a long time ago (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le4220527/).

Interesting, I can't say I knew this (other than the Quebec consumer laws). I wonder how Old Navy gets away with this... I hardly ever see anything just regular price in their store
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2021 posts
713 upvotes
Scarborough
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is on sale. Cheaper than physical copy when it went on sale last ~month.
Koodo
Tangerine
Simplii
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2792 posts
1398 upvotes
EDMONTON
lame same old same old
teksavvy sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1811 posts
341 upvotes
Halifax
I might consider Untitled Goose game and My Friend Pedro
RIP E3 30% off pre order games 2011-2019 :twisted:
Feb 28, 2006
347 posts
286 upvotes
christapo wrote: The "funny" part here is there are actually pretty strong regulations in Canada about how often things can be on sale (i.e. if it's always 10% off, it's not actually because 10% off is the normal price). SportChek got nailed for this a long time ago (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le4220527/).

Interesting to know. Apparently the definition for breaking the regulation for misleading sale prices is if it's at the sale price for at least 50% of the time, or at least 50% of the units were sold at the sale price.

The 50% of the time is relatively easily met, I don't think any of the eshops violate that. 50% of the units though requires sale figures from them, so that's harder to say, it might be possible.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9885 posts
6748 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of these look more like single discount to me, nothing sticks out.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1067 posts
1479 upvotes
Yeah this double discount sale is literally regular sale price from the summer sale and whatnot. And I've already gotten so many games but it's starting to bite me too. I bought say Uncharted 4 for like $14.99 even though it's PSN Plus because I wanted to own etc. Now they're remastering for PS5 for a full price game etc.

Sony sales are now better than Microsoft where Xbox prices are so out of whack compared to what they were in 2019 and 2020. But Sony has been so greedy with their games and policies so far. Almost every other developer out there is giving free patches and updates and versions of games while Sony slapping a new sku or adding 'Director's Cut' and charging either full price or a pretty penny.

That said, one benefit of me starting to build a Sony library, is a lot of games I forgot to play on Xbox One and were not made into One X Enhanced, are only 900p while the PS4 versions were 1080p. Good thing the SSD update went live and now I can add a 2tb nvme drive.
Nov 29, 2011
977 posts
1279 upvotes

that would be great.

although the one time i tried to report a store to the government, of a physical store, the person on the phone spent most of their time telling me of all the various ways/reason that it MIGHT NOT be violations / misleading advertising.
they basically made me feel that since i didn't document the 'sale' signs over the year and handing them a case on a silver platter, that it wasn't worth looking into.

really deterred me from wanting to look into these issues again.

no wonder businesses believe they can get away with shady marketing -- most of the time, they can!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2792 posts
1398 upvotes
EDMONTON
$10 for Shenmue 3 is the only thing I might consider
teksavvy sucks
Aug 1, 2014
148 posts
50 upvotes
St Thomas, ON
Is there a cheap place to get PSN top-up cards? Need about $100 worth.
Apr 10, 2011
465 posts
237 upvotes
Not 100% sure, but I think Valhalla DLC is 34% off with double discount.

I own the game on Xbox, and regular sale is at 35% off.

My point is that it's a weak sale when the regular sale on the other side is the same.
Mar 30, 2008
380 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
Call of Duty: Ghosts on sale for $53.39.

That game was released almost 8 years ago...GTFO

Also, anyone remembered EB Games had a trade anything over $10 and get CoD: Ghosts free promo?
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
3928 posts
4229 upvotes
Ottawa
Tempted to get Mafia II Definitive Edition. Great game.
Tampa Bay Lightning; Back to back Stanley Cup Champions!! ⚡⚡
Milwaukee Bucks; 2020-21 NBA Champions! 🦌

First time ever that both my teams in different sports win the championship in their respective league in the same year.