PC & Video Games

Playstation upgrade - hdd, ps4 pro or leave it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 8:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3911 posts
1229 upvotes

Playstation upgrade - hdd, ps4 pro or leave it?

I currently have the Slim Ps4 with a 500GB HDD and ran out of space. I have deleted games and install new one but essentially installing 1 game takes up most of the space.

I will eventually get a ps5 when it is more readily available so, that's not an issue. My decision though is whether to spend money on upgrading the the HDD or get a ps4 pro version?

The sensible/economical decision is to buy an 1TB SSD for around $100... or even a 2TB ($200) one. However, with Sony looking to produce more PS4s with PS5 shortage, does it make sense to get a PS4 Pro for the technical improvement?
RFD is bad for your wallet's health πŸ˜‚
Rogers EPP - $40/6gb, unlimited NA plan (roaming included)
31 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10255 posts
3761 upvotes
Why not just get a really good external HDD, maybe even an SSD one, then later you can even use it on your PS5 for PS4 games. If I already had any kind of PS4 (I have the original one), I would not consider anything else other than PS5 at this point
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1115 posts
999 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ I currently have the Slim Ps4 with a 500GB HDD and ran out of space. I have deleted games and install new one but essentially installing 1 game takes up most of the space.

I will eventually get a ps5 when it is more readily available so, that's not an issue. My decision though is whether to spend money on upgrading the the HDD or get a ps4 pro version?

The sensible/economical decision is to buy an 1TB SSD for around $100... or even a 2TB ($200) one. However, with Sony looking to produce more PS4s with PS5 shortage, does it make sense to get a PS4 Pro for the technical improvement?
my recommendation would be to buy a ps5-compatible nvme ssd, put it into a usb enclosure so that you can use it temporarily with the ps4. then later when you get the ps5, remove it from the enclosure and install it inside, this way you dont waste a lot of money.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3911 posts
1229 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: ↑ Why not just get a really good external HDD, maybe even an SSD one, then later you can even use it on your PS5 for PS4 games. If I already had any kind of PS4 (I have the original one), I would not consider anything else other than PS5 at this point
this is an interesting statement... how does that work? just connect external drive to ps5 and it reads as a gaming drive and I can play ps4 games just like that? would that be an issue if they were to release a "slim ps5" where it may not be backwards compatible??

I'm pondering because i still have games to play on ps4... and i'm not a fan of adding an external drive to the console. if there is no issue with loading performance on the ps4, it is an option to consider.

This only became a recent issue as I was playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla with the Odyssey crossover. I had to delete some games I haven't touched for a while (and leaving digital only games) to re-install Odyssey plus the DLC and recent update. If they decide to do an Odyssey/Origin cross over... I'm a bit screwed with hd space.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
9500 posts
2541 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ this is an interesting statement... how does that work? just connect external drive to ps5 and it reads as a gaming drive and I can play ps4 games just like that? would that be an issue if they were to release a "slim ps5" where it may not be backwards compatible??

I'm pondering because i still have games to play on ps4... and i'm not a fan of adding an external drive to the console. if there is no issue with loading performance on the ps4, it is an option to consider.

This only became a recent issue as I was playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla with the Odyssey crossover. I had to delete some games I haven't touched for a while (and leaving digital only games) to re-install Odyssey plus the DLC and recent update. If they decide to do an Odyssey/Origin cross over... I'm a bit screwed with hd space.
You can play all PS4 games on the PS5 through external HDD, no issues. Don't see them changing it to screw early adopters later on this gen.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
I hear you OP, I don't like the idea of external storage either which is why I always upgrade the internal drive.
However, in this case I would also go with the external drive suggestion. You have an older console so I personally wouldn't bother with an incremental upgrade to a Pro at this point if you really think that you might get a PS5 in the near future. I'd just stick to the Slim for now.
The external will work on the PS5, plus externals go on sale pretty often, plus maybe you already have a laptop drive that you could pop into a cheap enclosure and just make an external. My other uncertainty is how.much performance you'll get from adding a new internal drive to a Slim. An SSD made a difference for my Pro, but it still doesn't compare to a current gen console for storage speed.
I'd go with the first suggestion and just stick with an external, and that coming from someone who's not a fan of them. But I did use one for a while, it worked great.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4993 posts
1683 upvotes
Don't waste more money on your PS4 Pro. Try to get a PS5 as soon as possible if you have the time/money to do so. Hold off on playing any PS4 games and play them on your PS5 instead. Spend the money you intended for your PS4 to get a 1TB SSD for your PS5. With the backwards compatibility you'll never want to play games on your PS4 again and likely would only use the PS4 for specific apps that the PS5 doesn't have yet.

I kept my PS4 Pro for almost a year after having my PS5 and every time I went back to it the experience was so slow. I traded it in to Gamestop during one of their recent promotions.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1115 posts
999 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: ↑ I hear you OP, I don't like the idea of external storage either which is why I always upgrade the internal drive.
However, in this case I would also go with the external drive suggestion. You have an older console so I personally wouldn't bother with an incremental upgrade to a Pro at this point if you really think that you might get a PS5 in the near future. I'd just stick to the Slim for now.
The external will work on the PS5, plus externals go on sale pretty often, plus maybe you already have a laptop drive that you could pop into a cheap enclosure and just make an external. My other uncertainty is how.much performance you'll get from adding a new internal drive to a Slim. An SSD made a difference for my Pro, but it still doesn't compare to a current gen console for storage speed.
I'd go with the first suggestion and just stick with an external, and that coming from someone who's not a fan of them. But I did use one for a while, it worked great.
why not buy an external, take it apart when the OP buys a ps5, and install the formerly-external SSD into the PS5 to use as an internal drive? This way there is no limitation on the ssd once the ps5 is acquired, seems like the best situation.

To be more clear, I would recommend buying something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Internal- ... C67&sr=8-1 (PS5-compatible ssd with the heatsink, to be applied later)

https://www.amazon.ca/ELUTENG-Enclosure ... C53&sr=8-6 (so that the nvme can be used temporarily as an usb external drive with the ps4 pro)

once the ps5 is acquired: remove the ssd from the usb enclosure, and apply the sabrent ps5 heatsink, then install it in the ps5, it will play all ps5 games this way.

net cost to be able to use it with the ps4 pro: 30$, and potentially even less if the enclosure is resold or returned to amazon (not ethical)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
johncraven wrote: ↑ why not buy an external, take it apart when the OP buys a ps5, and install the formerly-external SSD into the PS5 to use as an internal drive? This way there is no limitation on the ssd once the ps5 is acquired, seems like the best situation.

To be more clear, I would recommend buying something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Internal- ... C67&sr=8-1 (PS5-compatible ssd with the heatsink, to be applied later)

https://www.amazon.ca/ELUTENG-Enclosure ... C53&sr=8-6 (so that the nvme can be used temporarily as an usb external drive with the ps4 pro)

once the ps5 is acquired: remove the ssd from the usb enclosure, and apply the sabrent ps5 heatsink, then install it in the ps5, it will play all ps5 games this way.

net cost to be able to use it with the ps4 pro: 30$, and potentially even less if the enclosure is resold or returned to amazon (not ethical)
Sure OP could do that also. The more cost effective way I see it myself is like this:

-M2 prices could drop by the time he gets a PS5 (IF he can get a PS5 Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat)
-an external non-M2 drive can be found much cheaper and can be used on the PS5 later. It can also be used on a PC, Mac, Xbox, media box... just a very useful piece of hardware to have in general
-He may have an external drive sitting around already, or an old laptop drive that just needs a cheap enclosure

But your method is a definite alternative.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3911 posts
1229 upvotes
ugh... lol

you all have legit options... I am in no rush to get a ps5 (obviously). As long as the games are available on ps4, i will get the physical copy but i do have a few digital games (when they did games givewayway).

Why i'm considering upgrading the hard drive... if they shutdown the ps4 psn (like they did for ps3 and psp), i may not be able to redownload the games or dlc... so, I'd rather get a bigger hard drive.

However, you guys have given me another option... upgrade the PS4 to 1TB and keep the existing 500 as an external.

Does it make sense? Nope. lol but also, when i do get the ps5, how often will i turn on the ps4 again?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4993 posts
1683 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ Why i'm considering upgrading the hard drive... if they shutdown the ps4 psn (like they did for ps3 and psp), i may not be able to redownload the games or dlc... so, I'd rather get a bigger hard drive.
For what it's worth, the PS3 store was up for 15 years (since 2006) and still going. Let's pretend that SIE did shut the PS3 store down as planned, then we could estimate that the PS4 store would get shut down after 15 years in 2028 - or 6 years from now. Do you think you would still be playing PS4 games on your PS4 after that time? With PS5's backwards compatibility you could always upgrade your SSD (internal or external) and put all your PS4 games on it to continue playing those games.

That said, if cost isn't a concern then yea get a new HDD for the PS4 and collect those games so you'll always have them.
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ when i do get the ps5, how often will i turn on the ps4 again?
Only when you want to use specific apps that the PS5 doesn't have. I was using the PS4's Media Player which the PS5 doesn't have. But trading in my PS4 was worth getting the $$ before the value decreased. Even if a PS4 game doesn't have any PS5 enhancements, at the minimum you benefit from the quicker SSD load times and default PS4 Pro performance mode. E.g., Steep on PS4 Pro is ~40 fps. The game doesn't have PS5 enhancements but with it runs at 60 fps. The Last Guardian on my PS4 Pro was ~20 fps and awful compared to 60 fps on PS5 with no intended enhancements. You'll notice and enjoy these things in games that don't have a capped framerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ ugh... lol

you all have legit options... I am in no rush to get a ps5 (obviously). As long as the games are available on ps4, i will get the physical copy but i do have a few digital games (when they did games givewayway).

Why i'm considering upgrading the hard drive... if they shutdown the ps4 psn (like they did for ps3 and psp), i may not be able to redownload the games or dlc... so, I'd rather get a bigger hard drive.

However, you guys have given me another option... upgrade the PS4 to 1TB and keep the existing 500 as an external.

Does it make sense? Nope. lol but also, when i do get the ps5, how often will i turn on the ps4 again?
Well as mentioned if they do shut down the PS4 store, it will be years from now and won't matter because the PS5 is BC with those games, so you should still be able to access them. This isn't like the PS3 which was unfortunately a dead end by the end of its life cycle. Very little BC, and most games didn't carry over to the PS4. Just a bad situation overall that was fixed with the PS4 and a smarter hardware path like Xbox has done since Day 1.
You could definitely upgrade the drive and use the internal 500gb as an external, yes. That makes sense also. Also be aware that a PS4 allows you to connect to a PS5 remotely, so you can still play your PS5 games on a PS4. Put that PS4 in another room and you basically have access to your PS5 library. Great if the TV the PS5 is on is in use by someone else.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12198 posts
3185 upvotes
--
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ I currently have the Slim Ps4 with a 500GB HDD and ran out of space. I have deleted games and install new one but essentially installing 1 game takes up most of the space.

The PS4 slim if I'm not mistaken will not benefit from an ssd due to the controller. The pro benefits from it though.

Since you plan to get a PS5 in the future I would just upgrade the hdd for now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3911 posts
1229 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: ↑ You could definitely upgrade the drive and use the internal 500gb as an external, yes. That makes sense also. Also be aware that a PS4 allows you to connect to a PS5 remotely, so you can still play your PS5 games on a PS4. Put that PS4 in another room and you basically have access to your PS5 library. Great if the TV the PS5 is on is in use by someone else.
Well... THAT i didn't know. but I'm guessing that it allows me to download a digital copy which explains the "free ps5 upgrade" stickers on the Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Fenix Rising Face With Tears Of Joy
XtremeModder wrote: ↑ The PS4 slim if I'm not mistaken will not benefit from an ssd due to the controller. The pro benefits from it though.

Since you plan to get a PS5 in the future I would just upgrade the hdd for now.
I just checked the prices... you have a point... it doesn't seem to be worth throwing $100 on an SSD upgrade... example: a 1TB SSD is $125 (cruxial mx500) vs a 2tb seagate barracuda for $100, However, it seems to make sense to get a reg hdd for best bang for the bucks...

sound this article: https://www.ps4storage.com/best-ps4-int ... -upgrades/

another option to think about... but may be the best option for what I'm looking for. What I really want is to keep the games on the hard drive without needing to reinstall when i want to replay it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ Well... THAT i didn't know. but I'm guessing that it allows me to download a digital copy which explains the "free ps5 upgrade" stickers on the Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Fenix Rising Face With Tears Of Joy

I just checked the prices... you have a point... it doesn't seem to be worth throwing $100 on an SSD upgrade... example: a 1TB SSD is $125 (cruxial mx500) vs a 2tb seagate barracuda for $100, However, it seems to make sense to get a reg hdd for best bang for the bucks...

another option to think about... but may be the best option for what I'm looking for. What I really want is to keep the games on the hard drive without needing to reinstall when i want to replay it.
That's a different thing, although true. Basically the PS4 has a Remote Play function if you know what that is.
Yeah I would look at a spinny drive if you want to save money, an SSD won't offer you performance on your Slim.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12198 posts
3185 upvotes
--
CrazyJo82 wrote: ↑ Well... THAT i didn't know. but I'm guessing that it allows me to download a digital copy which explains the "free ps5 upgrade" stickers on the Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Fenix Rising Face With Tears Of Joy

From my own opinion and the amount of console repairs I do, every single dead hard drive for the most part that I've replaced is from Seagate. I would stay away from them and stick with Western Digital as I've had good experiences with them. But that's me
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3911 posts
1229 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: ↑ That's a different thing, although true. Basically the PS4 has a Remote Play function if you know what that is.
Yeah I would look at a spinny drive if you want to save money, an SSD won't offer you performance on your Slim.
i've heard of remote play... i likely would have used it if i had bought a vita...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3911 posts
1229 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: ↑ From my own opinion and the amount of console repairs I do, every single dead hard drive for the most part that I've replaced is from Seagate. I would stay away from them and stick with Western Digital as I've had good experiences with them. But that's me
haha, good to know. seagate was the first one that popped up on canada computers... but will consider WD Blue as an option.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)