PC & Video Games

Playstation upgrade - hdd, ps4 pro or leave it?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 8:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3665 posts
1008 upvotes
thanks for the effort... for $9, it makes a fun experiment. Although, i wonder if xbox did something to it to lock it to xbox only
RFD is bad for your wallet's health ๐Ÿ˜‚
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2170 posts
827 upvotes
Scarborough
CrazyJo82 wrote: โ†‘ ugh... lol

you all have legit options... I am in no rush to get a ps5 (obviously). As long as the games are available on ps4, i will get the physical copy but i do have a few digital games (when they did games givewayway).

Why i'm considering upgrading the hard drive... if they shutdown the ps4 psn (like they did for ps3 and psp), i may not be able to redownload the games or dlc... so, I'd rather get a bigger hard drive.

However, you guys have given me another option... upgrade the PS4 to 1TB and keep the existing 500 as an external.

Does it make sense? Nope. lol but also, when i do get the ps5, how often will i turn on the ps4 again?
Why not just make that 1tb the external drive, much less of a hassle. Don't need to take anything apart and installing the OS on the new drive.
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3665 posts
1008 upvotes
supremekai wrote: โ†‘ Why not just make that 1tb the external drive, much less of a hassle. Don't need to take anything apart and installing the OS on the new drive.
2 reasons... I don't want a hard drive dangling around... even thought, it'll probably be tucked away. I think, my assumption is mostly that the read speed is likely slower then internal drive.

the other reason... I'm bored and I want to tinker with it. lol
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2170 posts
827 upvotes
Scarborough
CrazyJo82 wrote: โ†‘ 2 reasons... I don't want a hard drive dangling around... even thought, it'll probably be tucked away. I think, my assumption is mostly that the read speed is likely slower then internal drive.

the other reason... I'm bored and I want to tinker with it. lol
The speed would be pretty much the same, hdd wont be able to saturate the sata or USB 3.0 connection.
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3665 posts
1008 upvotes
so an update... I finally went and bought a WD Blue 2TB HDD.

The install is very straight forward. However, i did run into a problem... The Assassin's Creed Valhalla saved game file from the old hd is corrupted. I did follow instruction to back it up to USB key. Once I have the ps4 system installed on the new hd, I restored from USB... the saved file for Valhalla says corrupted. I checked other games, they didn't seem to have any issues...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8453 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CrazyJo82 wrote: โ†‘ so an update... I finally went and bought a WD Blue 2TB HDD.

The install is very straight forward. However, i did run into a problem... The Assassin's Creed Valhalla saved game file from the old hd is corrupted. I did follow instruction to back it up to USB key. Once I have the ps4 system installed on the new hd, I restored from USB... the saved file for Valhalla says corrupted. I checked other games, they didn't seem to have any issues...
Did you have a save copy on the Cloud?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5623 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
CrazyJo82 wrote: โ†‘ so an update... I finally went and bought a WD Blue 2TB HDD.

The storage drive might have messed it up, or the transfer might not have gone well. Did you transfer your old HDD to the new one, or back your games up and start from scratch?
Also do you have PS+? Saves get sent to the cloud if you have it set up that way, maybe you have it there?
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3665 posts
1008 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: โ†‘ Did you have a save copy on the Cloud?
BernardRyder wrote: โ†‘
The storage drive might have messed it up, or the transfer might not have gone well. Did you transfer your old HDD to the new one, or back your games up and start from scratch?
Also do you have PS+? Saves get sent to the cloud if you have it set up that way, maybe you have it there?
No, I don't have PSN+ so I did not save to the cloud. I just backed up the game save files to a USB key not the games. It looks like it is just Assassin's Creed Valhalla file that's corrupted. My only conclusion is that the timing of syncing the trophies and backup dating was wrong.

Would I be able to reinstall the old hdd, re-backup to USB and install new hdd and restore? Or does the removal of the hdd cause chaos on the ps4?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8453 posts
1879 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CrazyJo82 wrote: โ†‘ No, I don't have PSN+ so I did not save to the cloud. I just backed up the game save files to a USB key not the games. It looks like it is just Assassin's Creed Valhalla file that's corrupted. My only conclusion is that the timing of syncing the trophies and backup dating was wrong.

Would I be able to reinstall the old hdd, re-backup to USB and install new hdd and restore? Or does the removal of the hdd cause chaos on the ps4?
If it behaves like a PC, the old HDD should just work but I'm not 100% sure.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5623 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
CrazyJo82 wrote: โ†‘ No, I don't have PSN+ so I did not save to the cloud. I just backed up the game save files to a USB key not the games. It looks like it is just Assassin's Creed Valhalla file that's corrupted. My only conclusion is that the timing of syncing the trophies and backup dating was wrong.

You can, yes. It is just a question of whether you still have the old drive with your old system on it. Like you haven't formatted or anything, or earned any trophies since installing the new drive. If you didn't play or use the new drive, or erase the old one, I think you should be fine.
I'd also suggest getting a different USB to back it up to, and maybe back it up to a few devices if possible.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3665 posts
1008 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: โ†‘ You can, yes. It is just a question of whether you still have the old drive with your old system on it. Like you haven't formatted or anything, or earned any trophies since installing the new drive. If you didn't play or use the new drive, or erase the old one, I think you should be fine.
I'd also suggest getting a different USB to back it up to, and maybe back it up to a few devices if possible.
Thanks! I will give it a try and see. I haven't done anything... I had just reinstalled the games.

Should i backup all game saves or just the one game?

Update: A MIRACLE HAPPENED! No, not really... I did some googling to see what's going on and it's a common problem. So, I looked at Valhalla's saved files. I had a manual save file and a few auto save. I did notice there was 2 auto save files that had the same time stamp - Auto Save 01 and Auto Save 05. I went to delete the Auto Save 05 and loaded the game... and it worked and loaded without issue...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5623 posts
5824 upvotes
GTA
CrazyJo82 wrote: โ†‘ Thanks! I will give it a try and see. I haven't done anything... I had just reinstalled the games.

Should i backup all game saves or just the one game?

Update: A MIRACLE HAPPENED! No, not really... I did some googling to see what's going on and it's a common problem. So, I looked at Valhalla's saved files. I had a manual save file and a few auto save. I did notice there was 2 auto save files that had the same time stamp - Auto Save 01 and Auto Save 05. I went to delete the Auto Save 05 and loaded the game... and it worked and loaded without issue...
Even better, glad that worked out
c'mon get happy!