PlayStation VR Impressions?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 8:44 pm
Apr 13, 2012
397 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

PlayStation VR Impressions?

hey all. I'm not sure if anything's been posted yet recently but i've been reading other forums for impressions regarding playstation vr and wanted to take the pulse of the rfd community and their thoughts on it. it finally reached the sweet spot of $250 (imo) for the astro bot/moss bundle during black friday without the move controllers, and i believe was $320 for the creed/superhot vr bundle with the controllers. i'm assuming a ton of you finally dove in for this price seeing as as i had a tough time trying to track one down online and in-store during the sale.

i wasn't convinced myself of vr, but it mostly had to do with wanting to clear some of my backlog first before considering getting one. A couple of my coworkers did get a bundle for black friday and haven't stopped talking about it since, which led me to do some research this weekend and found about 8-10 games that i'd be very interested in if i bought one:

- astro bot
- moss
- creed
- superhot vr
- beat saber
- space pirate trainer
- thumper
- wipeout omega collection vr
- dirt rally vr
- until dawn: rush of blood
- tetris effect

i was considering resident evil 7 as well but already played through it, and skyrim, but can't really imagine myself playing a 100hr rpg wearing that headset for long periods. any thoughts on the games listed above or other recommendations, and how is the psvr lineup looking for 2019? i'm thinking a purchase of psvr on sale is justified if i enjoyed myself just with those 10 games or so but it would give me peace of mind as well knowing it will be supported next year and after too.

and finally, are the chances good that one or both of the psvr bundles will be on sale again for boxing day?

thanks for any feedback!
32 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
2668 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
I'm like you and haven't bit the bullet yet... I'm going to try and hold off for ps5 and ps vr 2.. but they likely won't come till 2020... Lol..

I think ps vr is a reasonable entry point for vr.. but I think the tech has a big area for improvement..
There's so much other stuff to play etc . It's just not for me.. yet..

Anyway.. I'm also curious what others say so I'll be watching this thread too..
May 31, 2018
15 posts
19 upvotes
ottawa
Same here, wondering the same thing. I would like to get a VR going but not sure if I should go with a PSVR or something for my PC instead. Are they cross compatible? Will be reading this thread and I hope more people/users chime in with thoughts and guidance. I can myself spending 250-300 for something.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
I was also thinking about this but after the recent Tokyo Game Show where it was "virtually" not present, it does not bode well for its future. In such case, I cannot see shelling out anything. Maybe grab one when its discounted but I doubt I would even do that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
I've spent probably an hour with both PSVR and Oculus.

I played Farpoint and Job Simulator on PSVR and a myriad of minigames on Oculus as well as some terrible zombie shooting gallery game where you would point and click to move further level. This was supposedly the most "core" playstation game. In both instances I was initially very impressed but after about 45 minutes I became quite bored with what I was playing. Oculus was definitely the better experience as the camera was higher definition and the controllers felt more responsive but honestly both seemed okay.

The thing that really killed it for me was I got fairly bad motion sickness and felt queasy for the remainder of the day.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
PSVR is really weird because its on the lower end of the hardware VR offerings but it somehow has 90% of the good content. A bunch of really good stuff landed this year too, Sony has really pushed development in that space in a way that they never did with the Vita. Astro Bot is one of the coolest gaming experiences I've had in awhile. I think there is enough stuff that's out there to make it worthwhile if you get a good deal on it.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
PSVR is great if you don't mind having your retinas chopped by jaggies

You're basically looking at extremely low res displays with no AA of any kind in the games due to lack of power. It's a neat experience, but big budget 3d game looks so bad it hurts.
Apr 13, 2012
397 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the replies so far...i'm pretty sure there are more psvr owners out there, please share your thoughts!

also , i may be wrong but i read about a price cut for all the bundles in the US during the holidays, will this translate to the same here?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
You can watch VR movies on it using the free Littlestar app on the PSN store.

I bought Astro Bot recently but have not made time to try it out.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
You are a fool if you don’t pick it up for $250.

No gaming experience comes close to VR, and PSVR has the best games.

You are missing out OP. Hurry up and get in here!
Apr 13, 2012
397 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote: You are a fool if you don’t pick it up for $250.

since the announcement of the psvr bundles going on sale again, i've officially decided to get one...will be getting the borderlands 2 vr/beat saber bundle for $320 (regular price $450) and hoping for a sale on astro bot and moss in the next few weeks at some point...i really wanted to get the move controllers for games like beat saber/space pirate trainer/superhot vr/etc.

what games do you have and recommend/not recommend?

thanks again all!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Andrew765 wrote: You are a fool if you don’t pick it up for $250.

Where is the sale?
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
319 for the borderlands one?! Now to find one!

Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
My standout games that I have are:
Astro Bot
I Expect you to Die
Wipeout Omega Collection VR
Batman Arkham VR

Games that I have that I highly recommend are:
Firewall Zero Hour
Superhot VR
Thumper
Dirt Rally VR
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Doom VFR
Trackmania Turbo
Statik

Games currently on my wishlist:
Tetris Effect
Beat Saber
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
3129 posts
1411 upvotes
Maple
I am a 33 year old father of two and have been gaming for as long as I remember.

PSVR is by far, the biggest and most impressive "gaming" moment for me. I have had essentially every big game/system day one over the past two decades.

For me personally, time is an issue. If I have an hour or two every few days to sit down and have some couch time I want something quick, easy and fun. There are of course remarkable games out there but they all require a long investment of time. and have for a while now, been a chore for me to play and get through due to time.

PSVR has blown my mind. Obviously its much simpler in terms of game content/length but the experiance is second to none. Nothing will impress you more than PSVR with a set of moves and some of the games listed here. Its universal as well. I have friends/family who dont play games at all, but when they try to VR headset their inner child comes out. You are really missing out if you dont get it.

Another way to look at it. You could buy it at around 250 today, play every single recomended game out there and sell it 6 months later at 3/4 of your initial purchase price in a heartbeat. Buy it. you will love it.
May 31, 2018
15 posts
19 upvotes
ottawa
Ok I've had a chance to try out a few VR systems since I posted on this thread and my thoughts as a n00b to VR and console stuff. I tried an Oculus GO. Great to have software, tried a few virtual experiences and a few games. I couldn't get into it because on the various phones we have in the house of various S6 S7 qualities, I just couldn't get focused right and there's that screen door feeling.

I tried a Pansonite(sp?) from Amazon thats like a carboard box thingy. It's cheap, no software other then google play store stuff. Worst VR of course and just not worth it.

Never tried a PC VR yet like rift or Hive?

So in a leap of faith we of course passed on the astro bot/moss bundle at $250 on BF. We got the borderlands/sabre bundle with the motion controllers for $320 which I think is the better deal because the controllers are not cheap separately. We bought a bunch of games because they are on sale now. The whole family loves this system, easy to use and it duel outputs to the TV and surround so we can all watch and it's hilarious, great experience.

Some closing thoughts if you're looking to buy some stuff on sale and after watching several best PSVR game videos.

EB Games has the firewall zero with aim gun for $70 starting dec 26
EB Games has the motion controllers for $30 off Dec 26

PS store has awesome deals.
VR World we got for around 5 bucks
Farpoint for 12ish bucks
arizona sunshine was around 16
rush of blood under 10 bucks
moss is around 25 bucks
astro bot from gamespot USA is 19USD

BestBuy has a bunch of VR games cheap, we got The Persistance for $20 so it was %50 off and it seems to fit into the top 10 lists. They have price chopped other VR titles too and you get the hard disc.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
I have PSVR and recently got the MR heatset for the PC.

PSVR is pretty good. Responsive. But you need a camera and probably sticks to complete your setup. Not many free games though. Even the paid games are short (few hours play). But the headset is more comfortable than the MR one. One shortcoming to me is you won't be able to use it if your PS4 is broken and not sure if Sony will extend the support to PS5 (as you can see the sticks are not used in PS4 exept VR and the camera as well).

On the other hand. MR or VR headsets for the PC are more flexible. Can be setup on most gaming PCs but you need to invest into your rig before doing so. You can use it when work on your PC (as a big screen) even you don't play games. Basically you don't even need multiple screens. Also it has tons of free demo games/apps offered in Steam.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Bought it for Xmas with the doom bundle love the other little games but disappointed no google earth I really wanted that one does vr have anything similar? Explore places kinda thing
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8667 upvotes
GTA
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Bought it for Xmas with the doom bundle love the other little games but disappointed no google earth I really wanted that one does vr have anything similar? Explore places kinda thing
Did you look in the PSN Store for the non-gaming VR apps they have? There could be something similar there.
c'mon get happy!