Health & Wellness

Please donate/provide your N95 masks - IMPORTANT

Apr 3, 2008
137 posts
65 upvotes

Please donate/provide your N95 masks - IMPORTANT

Hi everyone, I am posting this thread as a concerned healthcare provider and a fellow RFDer. My previous thread imploring help from the community was moved to a thread that was asking to buy N95s. I'm hoping that the moderators will allow this thread to stay the way it is.

I am a surgeon working in the Halton region. As you know, N95 masks are crucial for front line health workers when we are treating patients with presumed or confirmed COVID. Our healthcare system is extremely strained when it comes to providing personal protective equipment to our doctors and nurses. We have been asked to reuse our supplies of N95 which obviously poses a huge health risk to everyone involved. I know RFDers must have personal stashes of N95 masks at home. Remember, these masks are not meant for the average person to avoid catching COVID. Hand hygiene is much more effective. The likelihood of the average person to come into contact with high viral load when things like social distancing is practiced is extremely low. However, when a doctor is coming face to face with someone extremely sick with COVID or a surgery is done on a patient with COVID the viral load within the operating room is extremely high.

Let me repeat. YOU do not need N95s to protect yourselves. We, as healthcare workers, ABSOLUTELY NEED THEM for every patient we see.

Therefore I am calling on the RFD community to help out. If you are in any way interested in donating your own stash of N95s to the various hospitals please let me know via PMs or just replying to this thread. Please state the size of your mask and how many you have. If the response is strong, I will mobilize our hospital resources to try and obtain these N95 masks from you.

Your help and donation is greatly appreciated and please stay safe.
Last edited by djmackj on Mar 29th, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
62 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1836 posts
279 upvotes
Mods, this is a chance for crediting yourselves on good calls. Shall you guys put this post as a sticky at the top?Electric Light Bulb
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1552 posts
41 upvotes
djmackj wrote: Remember, these masks are not meant for the average person to avoid catching COVID. Hand hygiene is much more effective. The likelihood of the average person to come into contact with high viral load when things like social distancing is practiced is extremely low.

Let me repeat. YOU do not need N95s to protect yourselves. We, as healthcare workers, ABSOLUTELY NEED THEM for every patient we see.
disingenuous...
Apr 3, 2008
137 posts
65 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote: Mods, this is a chance for crediting yourselves on good calls. Shall you guys put this post as a sticky at the top?Electric Light Bulb
Thank you! That would be appreciated.
Apr 3, 2008
137 posts
65 upvotes
anabeces wrote: disingenuous...
I've seen your posts on other threads. If you want to wear a surgical mask, go ahead. That's what everyone in Korea does and I agree it's a good deterrent. N95 masks need to be properly fit tested and need to form a perfect seal around the face to work. They are vital for health care workers that are literally face to face with positive COVID patients. We DO have a mask shortage. I am NOT spreading anti-mask propaganda.

We are sourcing N95s locally anywhere we can. If Home Depot, Walmart, Canadian Tire have them, we would be getting it from them. Except people have hoarded them and are not using them appropriately. I've managed to get 20 N95s from a local auto detailer. We are doing everything we can. If you don't think front line workers should have the priority on N95s, then there's something wrong with you.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
+1 to sticky this thread.
People around you may have weaken immune system (or live with one). Wear a mask in indoor settings if you have cold symptoms.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
+1 to sticky, and for mods not to move thread.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
Might also be effective to ask organizations like the Jack Ma Foundation and Huawei. Those organizations have donated tons of PPE to Europe.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1727 posts
1547 upvotes
anabeces wrote: disingenuous...
Very selfish to say that. If medical professionals don't get enough N95 masks, then we will ALL be in big trouble. Using them for personal use is not necessary.

The public doesn't need N95 masks. At the same time, masks (not N95) are helpful, but not for the reasons you think. Wearing a mask means you are not going to accidentally touch you face. How many times do we all touch our faces out of habit? So a mask (plus sunglasses, glasses, googles) do help but not because they filter. They help stop you from touching your nose/mouth out of habit. But the public does not need N95 masks.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1836 posts
279 upvotes
djmackj wrote: I am a surgeon working in the Halton region. As you know, N95 masks are crucial for front line health workers when we are treating patients with presumed or confirmed COVID.
Your help and donation is greatly appreciated and please stay safe.
Surgeon djmackj, I would like to suggest you the following sentence,
"Please encourage the efforts for factories in the Golden Horseshoe shall manufacture mask and PPEs for local use, after this climax of dealing with COVID patients wanes."
Assuming disposable masks and PPEs can be made out of fresh, recyclable, or recycled paper and pulp product, another location can be Thunder Bay to more or less revitalize somewhat the paper and pulp industries. In other words, factories in Northern Ontario and in the Golden Horseshoe supply PPEs locally.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
They should be making a movie after this is all finished.."The story of 16 tonnes".
Apr 3, 2008
137 posts
65 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote: Surgeon djmackj, I would like to suggest you the following sentence,
"Please encourage the efforts for factories in the Golden Horseshoe shall manufacture mask and PPEs for local use, after this climax of dealing with COVID patients wanes."
Assuming disposable masks and PPEs can be made out of fresh, recyclable, or recycled paper and pulp product, another location can be Thunder Bay to more or less revitalize somewhat the paper and pulp industries. In other words, factories in Northern Ontario and in the Golden Horseshoe supply PPEs locally.
I appreciate the comment. I agree that we should be making PPEs locally. I don't know why everything has to be made overseas. I understand cheap labour but in a time of crisis it should be all hands on deck. I personally don't know how N95 masks are made but I imagine that China can't be the only place it can be manufactured. There's a connection I have in China whom I've been begging for some masks and they're telling me all N95s in bulk shipments are being seized at the Chinese border. It really is a depressing situation.
Banned
Jun 14, 2019
270 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
I thought that since this virus is commonly spread through droplets. Are n95 really more protective with the cost to performance then say a regular masks with some sort of fluid protection. Thats why they have plastic face shields on during contact with corvid-19 patients in front of whatever masks right?
multimut wrote: Very selfish to say that. If medical professionals don't get enough N95 masks, then we will ALL be in big trouble. Using them for personal use is not necessary.

The public doesn't need N95 masks. At the same time, masks (not N95) are helpful, but not for the reasons you think. Wearing a mask means you are not going to accidentally touch you face. How many times do we all touch our faces out of habit? So a mask (plus sunglasses, glasses, googles) do help but not because they filter. They help stop you from touching your nose/mouth out of habit. But the public does not need N95 masks.
So why sell n95 masks to the public if they are not needed :/

I seen countless people still touch there face + mask when going around which isn't best practice since the mask could have containments. An person was being interview and he touched his mask 3 times to manipulate it on his face. The mask is best used for those who are sick so they don't spread there virus's and germs to others by coughing or sneezing without some sort of barrier in front of there face.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1741 posts
1040 upvotes
Most larger Chinese supermarkets seem to have a good supply.
djmackj wrote: I've seen your posts on other threads. If you want to wear a surgical mask, go ahead. That's what everyone in Korea does and I agree it's a good deterrent. N95 masks need to be properly fit tested and need to form a perfect seal around the face to work. They are vital for health care workers that are literally face to face with positive COVID patients. We DO have a mask shortage. I am NOT spreading anti-mask propaganda.

We are sourcing N95s locally anywhere we can. If Home Depot, Walmart, Canadian Tire have them, we would be getting it from them. Except people have hoarded them and are not using them appropriately. I've managed to get 20 N95s from a local auto detailer. We are doing everything we can. If you don't think front line workers should have the priority on N95s, then there's something wrong with you.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Chickennbeans wrote: Most larger Chinese supermarkets seem to have a good supply.
LOL, not N95's. Basic 1-2 ply crappy masks they have. Bestco gives them to every1 who walks into the stores. They are not even the grade of hosp. surgical masks let alone N95's. They are selling these crappy masks for $50, 50 pack. I'm sure in non-virus conditions they go for $10 a box. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
It's a falsehood to say every1 doesnt need a mask let alone N95 if you are healthy or dont work in health care. S. Korean head of infectious diseases said that is incorrect. In fact he maintains that's a major reason why S. Korea have such low stats for a large population. They enforced mask wearing for every1, social distancing, massive testing, and cut off borders after 1st week january. He said walking outside with wind and air travel you wont get the beer virus, very extreme low chance. He said the virus particles must be of enough concentration to cause a potential host to catch it either in nostrils or the eyes. He says it does not penetrate skin. With blowing winds traveling outside it does 2 things, dissipates the concentration and forces it to the ground via gravity. The problem is in areas where air is stable, not moving at all. In those conditions such as in a room, office, restaurant, mall, etc. when an infected person coughs or sneezes it acts as an aerosol spray and stays in air up to 3 hrs (new england journal of medicine). In that time persons not infected can become infected by walking through and breathing the same air as an infected person (despite the fact the infected person has long gone). This is why every1 has to wear masks indoors as well - infected or not. Maybe it doesnt have to be an N95 mask but if you have it, why not.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Sep 26, 2006
769 posts
298 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: It's a falsehood to say every1 doesnt need a mask let alone N95 if you are healthy or dont work in health care. S. Korean head of infectious diseases said that is incorrect. In fact he maintains that's a major reason why S. Korea have such low stats for a large population. They enforced mask wearing for every1, social distancing and cut off borders after 1st week january. He said walking outside with wind and air travel you wont get the beer virus, very extreme low chance. He said the virus particles must be of enough concentration to cause a potential host to catch it either in nostrils or the eyes. He says it does not penetrate skin. With blowing winds traveling outside it does 2 things, dissipates the concentration and forces it to the ground via gravity. The problem is in areas where air is stable, not moving at all. In those conditions such as in a room, office, restaurant, mall, etc. when an infected person coughs or sneezes it acts as an aerosol spray and stays in air up to 3 hrs (new england journal of medicine). In that time persons not infected can become infected by walking through and breathing the same air as an infected person (despite the fact the infected person has long gone). This why every1 has to wear masks indoors as well infected or not. Maybe it doesnt have to an N95 mask but if you have it, why not.

Masks should be worn by everyone and does not have to be N95. Wearing the mask is not to protect the wearer but to prevent the spread of the virus. We should be social distancing, washing hands often and wearing masks.
Apr 3, 2008
137 posts
65 upvotes
As much as I like the discussion on this thread, it was meant for people with N95s to donate or provide them if at all possible. Please don't stray away from the main topic. I have not yet heard from anyone whose willing to donate or provide their supply. That's pretty sad.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
cybercavalier wrote: "Please encourage the efforts for factories in the Golden Horseshoe shall manufacture mask and PPEs for local use, after this climax of dealing with COVID patients wanes."
No part of a surgical mask is made from pulp or paper.

Surgical and N95 products are made from melt blown and spun bonded polypropylene.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)