PLEASE HELP! Hit and Run - Wednesday November 13th, Burnhamthorpe and Mavis

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2019 8:51 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2019
4 posts
4 upvotes

PLEASE HELP! Hit and Run - Wednesday November 13th, Burnhamthorpe and Mavis

Hi RedFlgDeals community, I'm really hoping you'll be able to help me out...

I've been involved in a not-at-fault car accident and the driver failed to remain at the scene, I need to provide my insurance details to identify the driver or else I won't be covered. I've put the details below, any advice or information would be appreciated!

On Wednesday November 13th at approximately 9:10 am I was involved in a car accident at the intersection of Burnhamthorpe and Mavis Road - near square one area. My vehicle is a Grey Hyundai Tiberon 2008. I was driving down Burnhamthorpe across Mavis during a green light when a driver turning left on Mavis road collided into my car. My left wheel was quite damaged and the front left side of my car is no longer in tact and my vehicle is not drivable. In my shock I pulled my car off the road into the gas station assuming that the person who hit me would follow to exchange driver information - but they did not and sped away down Mavis road.

From my recollection, the person driving the car was an middle-aged - older man of East Asian decent. I believe his car was grey as well...but cannot say that with extreme confidence. If any one in the area has seen a vehicle that has damage to the front of the car with a driver matching that description any information would be greatly appreciated.

Or if you witnessed the accident please reach out. Additionally, if you are aware of any shops that have cameras for which I could review footage of the area please let me know. I've contacted a few places so far, but no footage was helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post!

- Becks
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2360 posts
1675 upvotes
Toronto
RebeccaN90073 wrote: Hi RedFlgDeals community, I'm really hoping you'll be able to help me out...

I've been involved in a not-at-fault car accident and the driver failed to remain at the scene, I need to provide my insurance details to identify the driver or else I won't be covered. I've put the details below, any advice or information would be appreciated!

On Wednesday November 13th at approximately 9:10 am I was involved in a car accident at the intersection of Burnhamthorpe and Mavis Road - near square one area. My vehicle is a Grey Hyundai Tiberon 2008. I was driving down Burnhamthorpe across Mavis during a green light when a driver turning left on Mavis road collided into my car. My left wheel was quite damaged and the front left side of my car is no longer in tact and my vehicle is not drivable. In my shock I pulled my car off the road into the gas station assuming that the person who hit me would follow to exchange driver information - but they did not and sped away down Mavis road.

From my recollection, the person driving the car was an middle-aged - older man of East Asian decent. I believe his car was grey as well...but cannot say that with extreme confidence. If any one in the area has seen a vehicle that has damage to the front of the car with a driver matching that description any information would be greatly appreciated.

Or if you witnessed the accident please reach out. Additionally, if you are aware of any shops that have cameras for which I could review footage of the area please let me know. I've contacted a few places so far, but no footage was helpful.

- Becks
You should post in the automotive section might get a better response but I doubt it.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13370 posts
8341 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Without getting license plate info or witnesses, your chance of catching this POS will be slim to none. Grey car, east asian, not going to help much here.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Nov 15, 2019
4 posts
4 upvotes
Yeah, no -- i agree this is a long shot, but it's a shot. Unfortunately its all the info I have.
Banned
Oct 4, 2019
15 posts
6 upvotes
RebeccaN90073 wrote: Yeah, no -- i agree this is a long shot, but it's a shot. Unfortunately its all the info I have.
lol east asian, grey car. yeah, that really helps in a city like toronto / gta
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1364 upvotes
OP brings out a good point. What should you do, if you are involved in a collision and the at-fault party flees? If your car is drive-able, would you pursue the at-fault party?

Sorry for your situation, OP. I hope you filled a police report.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3766 posts
1838 upvotes
OP, if you have collision coverage, this will be covered under it subject to your deductible. Although given your vehicle is 11 years old I would imagine you probably don't carry collision?

I know this doesn't help you now, but I strongly recommend everyone get a dash camera.

Good luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13370 posts
8341 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Catch their license plate info, if you got a dashcam running and recording, just yell out the license plate info and time/location of accident.
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: OP brings out a good point. What should you do, if you are involved in a collision and the at-fault party flees? If your car is drive-able, would you pursue the at-fault party?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2361 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: OP brings out a good point. What should you do, if you are involved in a collision and the at-fault party flees? If your car is drive-able, would you pursue the at-fault party?
Don't move the car and wait for: a) police to show up; b) witness.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2164 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
I hope you somehow catch the other driver.

Wouldn't insurance still help you out if you at least pay the deductible?

I would highly suggest to get a dashcam. If I understood correctly it sounds like the other car was facing the opposite direction. If that's the case then a dashcam should catch the license plate (and better hope it's not too fuzzy). Being at such a busy intersection I'm shocked that nobody else with a dashcam stopped to help you out.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
Here in Toronto with lazy police and insurance companies that treat you like a number and just pin the culpability on you, it pays to RUN AWAY during an accident if its your fault.

So now insurance companies won't pay out if the at fault party takes off? Is this what Im hearing?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8140 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
Damn, sorry to hear OP.

I live East of the area, unfortunately (or fortunately in this case) I don't travel in that direction for work.

That is a hugely busy intersection in the morning, I can't imagine everyone not seeing anything at all.

Out of curiosity were you going East or West on Burnhamthorpe?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3157 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RebeccaN90073 wrote: Hi RedFlgDeals community, I'm really hoping you'll be able to help me out...

- Becks
Sorry about the loss OP, but I guess next time you should invest in a DASHCAM!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3157 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What you should do in any accident scenerio is:

1) Stop
2) Get out of your car
3)Take immediate pictures of your car, other car, license plate, other driver, also either note down or take pictures of other parties info (drivers license, Insurance, ownership)
4) check other driver if they are ok
5) If safe to do so and car is driveable, pull your car and ask the other person to drive to the shoulder of the road or to nearest parking lot
6) If NOT safe or you can't drive, call for emergency and see if any tow truck available
7) Never drive off thinking other drive will follow you (this makes the other driver think everything is ok and he/she can drive off)

Sorry OP once again, but you live and learn I guess.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!