Oct 28, 2008
65 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

Please help to identify the mysterious poop

Hi

I found some poops around my house.
It's not the first time.
Just when spring arrived, I found it just in front of my basement window (like one of the pictures shown).
I cleaned it up and sprayed some bleach on the area.
And just recently, we found more on the same place plus the shingle.

Please help me to identify the animal and solution.

Much appreciated!

Jeff
Images
  • IMG_20200702_121742.jpg
  • IMG_20200702_121655.jpg
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8685 posts
4922 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
I'm thinking raccoon or skunk but really guessing.

Had similar in window well, your picture looks like our window well.

I put some warped chicken wire to make it uncomfortable there and also put some ammonia in there and peppermint cotton balls around yard... idea being that smell deters. Have not noticed poop again but I think need to keep doing else will reappear.
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25234 posts
14965 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely racoon. It is not nice that they are going onto the roof. It won't be long they will find a way into the attic.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, lot less with rewards
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Oct 28, 2008
65 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you all above.
Was able to spot a raccoon walking along the top of the fences last night.
Did some digging on google.
I'm going to try all methods one by one. (trying to avoid using urine.....Face With Tears Of Joy)
1) Irish spring
2) Ultra sound repellent
3) Ammonia with hot pepper powder

Hopefully it'll stay away from my house.

Thanks,
Jeff
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2002
1455 posts
222 upvotes
I have the same poop on my shed - most likely racoon or squirrel.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
You're all wrong. That is 100% a 65-75 year old, drunk Portuguese man's crap. Used to find them in my backyard as a kid when the new neighbours moved in. OP, are you hearing anybody clear their sinuses repeatedly at 6AM?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes
Just make sure to protect yourself when cleaning it up. Racoon scat can have some nasty nasty bugs in it. But do clean it up.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9254 posts
1633 upvotes
TO
jeff840322 wrote: Hi

I found some poops around my house.
It's not the first time.
Just when spring arrived, I found it just in front of my basement window (like one of the pictures shown).
I cleaned it up and sprayed some bleach on the area.
And just recently, we found more on the same place plus the shingle.

Please help me to identify the animal and solution.

Much appreciated!

Jeff
Hi OP, how did you even take the picture from the roof ? i was thinking of taking pictures of my roof etc to ensure theres nothing funny going on w/o having to call roofing/contractors -

Does anyonehere use drones to check shingles missing etc,?
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2639 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA West
jeff840322 wrote: Thank you all above.
Was able to spot a raccoon walking along the top of the fences last night.
Did some digging on google.
I'm going to try all methods one by one. (trying to avoid using urine.....Face With Tears Of Joy)
1) Irish spring
2) Ultra sound repellent
3) Ammonia with hot pepper powder

Hopefully it'll stay away from my house.

Thanks,
Jeff
Yeah, for poop on the roof think climbing animals like the raccoon. On level ground poop like that could be fox or dog. Cats go for sandy spots on the ground where they can bury it - be careful in your garden. Foxes seem to like to poop in the same place repeatedly, maybe it is a way to mark their territory. My regular fox likes to poop on or near the "tin cat" mousetrap I have by the garage entrance. He may be intrigued by the living and/or dead mice inside.

It may be worth trapping the raccoon(s) and moving it, even though others will quickly take its place. Be careful because it is easy to get a skunk instead and that doesn't always end well . . But not all raccoons are roofers. Mine are grubbers, happy digging up my lawn, and I have a family of 6 that appears on my Arlo several times a week!

I also get possums in my yard, but I have never seen any poop I can associate with them. But they are weird animals to begin with.