• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2020 1:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2741 posts
1973 upvotes

Please help with Laptop choice! $2000 edition

My 13" Mid 2014 macbook pro retina (2.6ghz, 8mb ram, 256gb ssd) died on me and i am in the market for a new, well built computer.
I am lost! I loved my mac given it had no problems for the first 5 years of its life. What I really liked though was the screen quality. I was running out of space near the end of it as well as RAM

My budget is about $2000 (All should have a 4k screen)
1.XPS 13/15?
2. New Macbook Air with the M1 chip? Read that developers are slow to adapt to the chipset? Would upgrade to 16MB ram (1900+tax)
3. Lenovo X1 Extreme or X1 Carbon? Would stick to basics except upgrade the screen to the 4k non touch.

Any suggestions would be greatly helpful!
Smash that like button!
2 replies
Apr 3, 2006
788 posts
390 upvotes
6mthatch wrote: My budget is about $2000 (All should have a 4k screen)
1.XPS 13/15?
2. New Macbook Air with the M1 chip? Read that developers are slow to adapt to the chipset? Would upgrade to 16MB ram (1900+tax)
3. Lenovo X1 Extreme or X1 Carbon? Would stick to basics except upgrade the screen to the 4k non touch.
4k screen requirement basically eliminates Windows laptops unless you don't care about the battery life. If you're going to get anything Windows stick with 2k screens or less for any semblance of battery life.

Anything with an Nvidia graphics card would also make the driver situation painful if you ever want to run Linux on it (so that eliminates things like X1 Extreme).

That leaves the Air, the Dells and the X1 Carbon.

Of those the M1 Air destroys the Intel based Dells and X1 Carbons in every single performance measurement/category.

I'd go with the Air. Or if you can wait, the 14 and 16 inch M1 machines are estimated to be announced first half of 2021.