Computers & Electronics

Please help me find a cheap but half decent laptop for my daughter !!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2018 6:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough

Please help me find a cheap but half decent laptop for my daughter !!!!

my daughter is 13 I want to get her a cheap laptop for school must be not a Pieace of Grap please but cheap more then anything please help I was about to buy a cheap $230 laptop from amazon that sucks bad?? she doesn't game and mainly will be for school I don't want to get her a POS that she won't want to use ever please help me need new cheap but good !!!

Let me know the best deal on a half decent one please I'm not to sure about laptops.

Thank you all !!!!
16 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19357 posts
1024 upvotes
Does she plan to bring it to school ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
willy wrote: Does she plan to bring it to school ?
Yes I think so its atcaully for my niece and my sister in laws buying it for her.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
is it true the Emmc hard drives are abit faster then the regualr Hard drives?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Good and cheap starts and ends with Intel i3.
thats what I told her like for like a i3 5th gen or newer or a i5 3rd gen or newer would be good.
Nov 30, 2003
511 posts
79 upvotes
Edmonton
ScottF391 wrote: what about this one? on amazon $229
This netbook is going to be terribly slow to use. 32GB of storage means your daughter/niece will have to very carefully manage space just to even get the semi-annual Windows feature updates. Only advantage is it's light and battery life seems good from reviews, but if that good battery life is only while doing one thing at a time and frustratingly waiting I don't think it's worth it.

I'd get something refurbished like this instead. HDD can be upgraded down the line, battery should be 5-6 hours. Not great but you can't have it all for super cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6387 posts
3093 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
lazybum131 wrote:

I'd get something refurbished like this instead. HDD can be upgraded down the line, battery should be 5-6 hours. Not great but you can't have it all for super cheap.
OP can pick one of these: https://ca.refurb.io/collections/laptops
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Oct 26, 2006
585 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
A student laptop would consist of an i3, 8GB ram and 1 TB hard drive. I work in computer retail and service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
ok thanks everyone, I'd just hate for her to get a cheap one and her daughter never use it because it sucks. I'm more into Gaming computers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
anyone else have anything to add please?