• Jul 7th, 2019 8:16 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14948 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto

Please help me fix the long crank times on my car

I have a 2012 Camry LE 4 Cyl with 156K on it. The vehicle runs fine but I do have this extended crank time problem that I would like to resolve.

Scenario:

- Vehicle is parked overnight. In the morning, the car starts up right away within 1 to 2 seconds
- I would drive the vehicle for about 20 min on the highway and park it.
- I would come back to start the car after 1 hour or so and when I try cranking the car, it would take about 4 seconds or more before it starts. The vehicle always starts but just has extended crank times.

Here is what I have tried so far:

- after the vehicle sits a while, I cycled the key 3 times to see if it is fuel issue which it does not seem to be (i.e. move key to the start position (before cranking), waited 10 seconds, turn it off, remove key, wait 10 seconds, and do this 2 more times)
- I had the fuel injectors cleaned as well as the throttle body
- I used CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and cleaned the sensor and replaced the air filter. It gave my car better pickup but didn't fix the extended cranking
- Had the battery tested and it is powerful and providing enough voltage at crank
- Put a big bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner and topped up my gas tank. I am still having it run through the system before the tank is empty
- Ran a scan tool at parts source and they didn't find any codes on the system and no CEL is displayed

I know the Camry suggests replacing plugs at 192K. The fact that the car drives and accelerates fine once it starts makes me think that it is not a spark plug or ignition coil issue.

Here is hoping the experts on RFD can help me fix the problem

Thanks
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
16 replies
Sep 4, 2006
879 posts
533 upvotes
Ottawa
First test should be to test fuel pressure. Stop guessing, stop throwing things at it.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3480 upvotes
The NORTH
hightech wrote: Wouldn't cycling the ignition rule out fuel pressure?
a. How would that rule out fuel pressure? All you are doing is cycling the fuel pump, if there is a problem what you are doing isn't 'testing' anything. Get the fuel pressure tested to see if the pump is priming the system properly.

b. if it is only doing it when the engine is hot and not cold then maybe that's where you should look. I can't think of a reason that a hot block would take longer to crank but that is the symptom you are describing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6395 posts
1065 upvotes
There's nothing to check, OP's just being anal. I had a 1984 Camry which had a cold start system which pumped extra fuel into the engine when the car was stone cold to help with starting which as a side benefit provided a fast start. However when the car engine was somewhat warm and when I tried to start it it would take a bit longer because the heat would shut down the cold start system and not as much fuel would be going into the engine as a result making starting a little bit harder. I'm not familiar with the 2012 Camry but I would guess something similar is happening. Nothing unusual.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14948 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote: There's nothing to check, OP's just being anal. I had a 1984 Camry which had a cold start system which pumped extra fuel into the engine when the car was stone cold to help with starting which as a side benefit provided a fast start. However when the car engine was somewhat warm and when I tried to start it it would take a bit longer because the heat would shut down the cold start system and not as much fuel would be going into the engine as a result making starting a little bit harder. I'm not familiar with the 2012 Camry but I would guess something similar is happening. Nothing unusual.
Respectfully disagree. I had a 2002 Camry LE V6 that I bought new and what you described above is something I too experienced and was confirmed by the dealership. I sold the 2002 after 12 years and 216K. In the case of my 2012 Camry, the cranking is definately much longer than what I recall the 2002 ever did.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4397 posts
2699 upvotes
Gotham
My money is on the fuel pump or fuel filter.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15692 posts
16845 upvotes
Oakville
hightech wrote: I have a 2012 Camry LE 4 Cyl with 156K on it. The vehicle runs fine but I do have this extended crank time problem that I would like to resolve.

Scenario:

- Vehicle is parked overnight. In the morning, the car starts up right away within 1 to 2 seconds
- I would drive the vehicle for about 20 min on the highway and park it.
- I would come back to start the car after 1 hour or so and when I try cranking the car, it would take about 4 seconds or more before it starts. The vehicle always starts but just has extended crank times.

Here is what I have tried so far:

- after the vehicle sits a while, I cycled the key 3 times to see if it is fuel issue which it does not seem to be (i.e. move key to the start position (before cranking), waited 10 seconds, turn it off, remove key, wait 10 seconds, and do this 2 more times)
- I had the fuel injectors cleaned as well as the throttle body
- I used CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and cleaned the sensor and replaced the air filter. It gave my car better pickup but didn't fix the extended cranking
- Had the battery tested and it is powerful and providing enough voltage at crank
- Put a big bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner and topped up my gas tank. I am still having it run through the system before the tank is empty
- Ran a scan tool at parts source and they didn't find any codes on the system and no CEL is displayed

I know the Camry suggests replacing plugs at 192K. The fact that the car drives and accelerates fine once it starts makes me think that it is not a spark plug or ignition coil issue.

Here is hoping the experts on RFD can help me fix the problem

Thanks
You don't have a big problem, but you should do some free checks like pulling the plugs, inspecting them, and checking your cylinder pressures cold (morning) and hot (after a drive). Could be that your piston rings aren't sealing as well when hot, causing the extra cranking.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3996 posts
2425 upvotes
Ontario
Common problem - guy at CAA told me he gets lots of crank calls.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14948 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: You don't have a big problem, but you should do some free checks like pulling the plugs, inspecting them, and checking your cylinder pressures cold (morning) and hot (after a drive). Could be that your piston rings aren't sealing as well when hot, causing the extra cranking.
Unfortunately I am not that handy at pulling plugs. Would someone be able to do this for me? I can change the plugs at the same time and bring the parts. I am in east Scarborough/Pickering area.

I can clean the ignition coils at the same time to rule out anything.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
I thought this thread topic looked real familiar.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/02-camry ... g-1003804/

Check your cold vs hot fuel line pressure as others have sugguested

If it’s happened to two different cars, it’s likely something common you are doing for both such as the gasoline brand you are using
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14948 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: I thought this thread topic looked real familiar.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/02-camry ... g-1003804/

Check your cold vs hot fuel line pressure as others have suggested

If it’s happened to two different cars, it’s likely something common you are doing for both such as the gasoline brand you are using
I always use Petro Canada regular fuel and on the 2002 Camry, it was shell V Power. I guess I should start going to Shell to see if that makes a difference.

Update: Looks like I am not the only person who experiences this: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310- ... times.html

Maybe there is a TSB on this issue somewhere

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1897 posts
340 upvotes
If not a fuel system problem, maybe a dodgy sensor - coolant? O2? MAF?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34982 posts
4271 upvotes
Winnipeg
hightech wrote: Unfortunately I am not that handy at pulling plugs. Would someone be able to do this for me? I can change the plugs at the same time and bring the parts. I am in east Scarborough/Pickering area.

I can clean the ignition coils at the same time to rule out anything.
get new ignition coils and spark plugs if yours is >170,000km, get it done at igarage if you can't do it yourself. my old civic was slow at starting until i replaced ignition.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14948 posts
3327 upvotes
Toronto
Just an update: After the air filter and MAP sensor cleaning, I put a 1 litre bottle of Lucas cleaner in the tank and ran it for 1000 KM. I am finding that the car is starting much faster and easier now. I guess I just needed some time and the cleaner to fix the issue.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks