Personal Finance

Please, help me to pull the plug!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2016 3:48 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
bewiseman wrote: Yes, I like the Canadian Tire Card as well. They're incredibly generous with credit limits as well. Started with 2.5K three years ago. Up to 17.5K now.
You mean incredibly generous with INCREASING the credit limits, right? Cuz for me, they also gave me a ridiculous $2K tiny limit to begin with when I opened the card. They bumped me up roughly every 4-6 months, till eventually around my 2nd anniversary they had boosted it to $18K, but no increase since then.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: You mean incredibly generous with INCREASING the credit limits, right? Cuz for me, they also gave me a ridiculous $2K tiny limit to begin with when I opened the card. They bumped me up roughly every 4-6 months, till eventually around my 2nd anniversary they had boosted it to $18K, but no increase since then.
Yes, generous with increasing limits. Are you using your full limit? I have always exploited the full limit when they offer a balance transfer at 0% for 6 months. I'm using 17.3K of the current 17.5K limit right now for a BT. I'll pay it off in march and I expect they'll raise the limit another 2.5K if they continue their current pattern.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
bewiseman wrote: I've already hit the 5K. I'm just looking for extras now. :)
You should look at extras with new cards that require $5k spending. Business Platinum (referred from your business gold) would give you 75,000 points for spending $5k plus 10k points for referral plus 1.25x MR on the 5k spent.

That's over 90k points and WAAY better than 10k you'd earn by paying that $5k on the gold. It WILL cost you a $399 annual fee though. I'd say we can agree 81k extra points is EASILY worth over double $399 though, right? ;)

Oh, 96k extra points really. Since when you get ready to get the personal gold you will get 25k on the business platinum for referral bonus instead of 10k by referring from business gold :) (in addition to 25k for signup bonus on personal gold).

You should be able to add 136k with business gold -> business platinum -> personal gold, $1,360 minimum value for $399 cost.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
ace604 wrote: You should look at extras with new cards that require $5k spending. Business Platinum (referred from your business gold) would give you 75,000 points for spending $5k plus 10k points for referral plus 1.25x MR on the 5k spent.

That's over 90k points and WAAY better than 10k you'd earn by paying that $5k on the gold. It WILL cost you a $399 annual fee though. I'd say we can agree 81k extra points is EASILY worth over double $399 though, right? ;)

Oh, 96k extra points really. Since when you get ready to get the personal gold you will get 25k on the business platinum for referral bonus instead of 10k by referring from business gold :) (in addition to 25k for signup bonus on personal gold).

You should be able to add 136k with business gold -> business platinum -> personal gold, $1,360 minimum value for $399 cost.
Thanks Ace. I would never have bothered with these little tricks were it not for RFD, and the help I get from people like you.