• Nov 13th, 2015 4:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1840 posts
310 upvotes

PLEASE HELP - Peacoat Sizing - To BIG?

So I went to "stars" and found a really nice peacoat for 299 which isnt hugely dear but its a good quality 100% wool peacoat.

However, the peacoat runs smallest at a "small" and no xs.

It feels big so store offered tailoring for 20 bucks to chop the sides (or back?) so its a more snugger fit.

Heres the coat before:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... ed-public/

and heres it pinned so what it would kind of look like tailored:

47 replies
Mar 11, 2012
313 posts
112 upvotes
way to big even if its tailored.

check out Banana Republic (mall store, not outlets)

Gstar, jack and jones (slim fitting)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6009 posts
1639 upvotes
Look at how long the sleeves are on you. Eat more donuts.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
The shoulders in general look big. Peacoat is definitely a harder fitting jacket to find.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1840 posts
310 upvotes
at1212b wrote: The shoulders in general look big. Peacoat is definitely a harder fitting jacket to find.
i doubt that can be tailored?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6009 posts
1639 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: sleeves can be easily hemmed back
Look at the shoulders as well, it's wider than your actual shoulders unless you wear layers under.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i doubt that can be tailored?
Maybe it can, but it'll cost alot of money, and hence not worth it. I mean if you plan to wear it with baggy Khakis and running shoes, it might be fine, as long as you layer up a bit, and that's the style you're going for.

My mom did basic tailoring, as well as I've gotten suits off the rack tailored, and it would just be in the back area, where there is a seam. Changing width of the shoulder and chest is something not easily done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1840 posts
310 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: Look at the shoulders as well, it's wider than your actual shoulders unless you wear layers under.
at1212b wrote: Maybe it can, but it'll cost alot of money, and hence not worth it. I mean if you plan to wear it with baggy Khakis and running shoes, it might be fine, as long as you layer up a bit, and that's the style you're going for.

My mom did basic tailoring, as well as I've gotten suits off the rack tailored, and it would just be in the back area, where there is a seam. Changing width of the shoulder and chest is something not easily done.
Alright if u guys think its still to big even when tailored somewhat, I will avoid it. It sucks they dont make an XS in this. Its a really nice peacoat :(
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
It's too wide at the shoulders. Whoever at the store said a $20 alteration would make the coat fit should be fired.

My suggestion is to leave that coat at the store and keep searching.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Alright if u guys think its still to big even when tailored somewhat, I will avoid it. It sucks they dont make an XS in this. Its a really nice peacoat :(
I'm an off the rack fit guy, and out of everything, peacoats throughout the year have been more 'oddly' shaped where it fits the least. Similarly, trench coat types as well. Maybe meant for the Mark's Work Warehouse type people.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1840 posts
310 upvotes
Becks wrote: It's too wide at the shoulders. Whoever at the store said a $20 alteration would make the coat fit should be fired.

My suggestion is to leave that coat at the store and keep searching.
he said all they were gonna do is remove material from the seams on the left and right sides
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
Stores that cater to college kids often have better fit for skinny people. Have u tried Abercrombie's coats before to see if XS fits? There is a duffel coat online there, and I wonder if that would fit.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
3078 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
Im telling you need look at zara or topman, they have slim fitted clothing that WILL fit you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1840 posts
310 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: If it's only that easy...
it honestly was a super nice peacoat. 100% wool, and it was soft to the touch. the leather trim on the pockets are a nice subtle touch and the removable zipper thing for the neck makes it even better for keeping warm on a really cold day. I REALLY wanted to like it, which I did, but thought id check here before blowing 300 plus a supposed 20 on tailoring on this coat. Its from a company called STRAUSS if u ever heard of them. They make slim fit suits but they dont make a XS for a coat which is a shame.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6009 posts
1639 upvotes
You can get a decent peacoat from Schott or Sterlingwear, both are high quality.

Or go to Army Surplus store.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
Strauss is an in-house label : "a higher end line featuring luxurious fabrications and elegantly detailed trims".... Jon Strauss is the CEO of Stars. This is the peacoat from the company website, and note how it fits the model:

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1840 posts
310 upvotes
Becks wrote: Strauss is an in-house label : "a higher end line featuring luxurious fabrications and elegantly detailed trims".... Jon Strauss is the CEO of Stars. This is the peacoat from the company website, and note how it fits the model:

A higher end line thats still made in china to say th eleast lol. But it felt like a really "good" quality peacoat. I didnt know strauss was an in house brand, nor it was named after the ceo! his coat looks similar to the one i tried. Do you like the strauss brand in stars becks? They actually have slim fit suits that fit me thankfully.

on the model pic, it looks like the shoulders are quite big do you think? the cut under the armpits seem quite low.