Please name this tree and possible disease

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 9:23 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes

Please name this tree and possible disease

I have this tree (about 15 ft tall) that its leaves turn brown and a few branches appear dying in last couple of years. I have added fertilizer to it, and watered it. Still, some of its leaves are still brown. Now, I suspect that there may be some bugs or disease on its leaves. Find below are the photos. Thanks.

ImageImage[/img]
4 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1219 upvotes
Ottawa
Where in Canada do you live? Are the leaves soft or prickly? Could be cedar, false cypress, or juniper, I can't tell. I see, in the first photo, that a branch has been cut in a way that lets disease in. Fertilizing a stressed plant doesn't help, unfortunately. You may have to cut a small branch and take it to a garden nursery to get an ID and find out what diseases are in your area.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote: Where in Canada do you live? Are the leaves soft or prickly? Could be cedar, false cypress, or juniper, I can't tell. I see, in the first photo, that a branch has been cut in a way that lets disease in. Fertilizing a stressed plant doesn't help, unfortunately. You may have to cut a small branch and take it to a garden nursery to get an ID and find out what diseases are in your area.
A few branches were cut last year, because the branches were dead.

I live in Ottawa. I will cut a small branch to take it to Richie, on Innes Rd, or to Laporte.
Last edited by psudolam on May 15th, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2927 posts
1164 upvotes
I would likely bet on a variety of Juniper.

That said, like all living things, trees do have lifespans, and judging by the height of yours, and the relatively complete lack of vigour, your tree is nearing the end of its life.

Your best bet is to cut it down, and plan something new with the space.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!