Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
280 posts
6 upvotes

Please recommend kitchen cabinet company

Hello there

we are planning to replace our builder cheap quality kitchen with custom cabinetry. Would appreciate if someone can please recommend the places that work with us to design and make custom cabinetry.

Thanks a million
13 replies
Feb 7, 2010
91 posts
21 upvotes
Selba Kitchens. They have wide selection and designers. Prices are great too.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4183 posts
3391 upvotes
Toronto
Merlo Woodworking. I did my kitchen with them and was very happy. Very good price as well. Make sure you ask for plywood boxes not furniture board.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
280 posts
6 upvotes
Asteiskam wrote: Selba Kitchens. They have wide selection and designers. Prices are great too.
torontotim wrote: Merlo Woodworking. I did my kitchen with them and was very happy. Very good price as well. Make sure you ask for plywood boxes not furniture board.
Thank you for the suggestions! We will check them out. Any others,,the more the merrier.:-)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5882 posts
280 upvotes
GTA
Not sure where you are located but I finished my basement reno's in 2013 and had Marvelous Kitchens make my kitchen, bar, bathroom, laundry room and then build me a floor to ceiling coat and shoe storage in my old laundry room. The work was fantastic and done on time as promised.

sk
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
280 posts
6 upvotes
sunnybono wrote: Not sure where you are located but I finished my basement reno's in 2013 and had Marvelous Kitchens make my kitchen, bar, bathroom, laundry room and then build me a floor to ceiling coat and shoe storage in my old laundry room. The work was fantastic and done on time as promised.

sk
Thanks you sunnybono. I am located in Ajax but can travel around GTA to check out.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3144 posts
758 upvotes
Ancaster
I've been hearing a lot of good things about GTA Cabinets.

One of the talk show hosts on 640AM, Bill Carroll, swears by them for their quality & price.

http://www.gtacabinets.com/
[OP]
Sep 7, 2008
280 posts
6 upvotes
nielboy wrote: I've been hearing a lot of good things about GTA Cabinets.

One of the talk show hosts on 640AM, Bill Carroll, swears by them for their quality & price.

Thanks. They have good review on Homestars as well
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1089 posts
475 upvotes
check out cozyhome (dundas/427 area).

we got a quote for 9.5x10 kitchen with island - basement kitchen with antique white color which is supposed to be more expensive and was quoted under $4K install was extra 900 - does not include counter sink but will install

mind you - they do come from china and they require assembly so not custom made but hey...

I'll check out the other companies above as well to compare.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4183 posts
3391 upvotes
Toronto
The videos at GTA Cabinets certainly suggest good quality. As with anywhere, knowledge is king. Educate yourself. Know what you're getting, make sure it is explicitly described in the priced quotation and check everything as it is being installed.

My experience with Merlo and the results are documented here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/24 ... -from-2011

I was particularly impressed by the fact that the guy I designed the kitchen with and who provided the contract also builds the cabinets. His partner who also works in the work shop installed them - not some $10/hour casual labor. The guy who built the cabinets installed them, on his own. It was amazing to watch.

When he put up one cabinet with glass doors and shelves with 4 screws, I asked about the load it could carry as we would fill it with glassware. His response was to grab the top of the cabinet and hang from it. He weighed a solid 220 I'd guess.

Well made cabinets and proper installation.

I should note for my project, I was the 'GC'. I did all the demo myself (wouldn't do that again - 20 cubic yards of material I took out in garbage cans). Hired an electrician and plumber, hired my go-to guy for carpentry/drywall to close it back up, I did the flooring and then had the cabinets installed. Found a stone place for the marble, bought appliances at Faulkner's and KWA (Bluestar range), got the used Vent-a-Hood on eBay in the US and picked it up in Niagara Falls ($500 vs $2000 new).

Doing this myself saved me thousands of dollars, as did asking the right questions. Upgrade to plywood cabinets at a big box store gets priced as a percentage increase - like 20% on the whole kitchen. Upgrading to plywood at Merlo was the difference in material cost. About $800 on the whole kitchen. WAY less than 20% needless to say. Plywood with natural veneer looks so much nicer, is way lighter, stronger and more moisture resistant than the particle board used by default most places.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
nielboy wrote: I've been hearing a lot of good things about GTA Cabinets.

Yeah, that's called a paid commercial in case you didn't know.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3144 posts
758 upvotes
Ancaster
eonibm wrote: Yeah, that's called a paid commercial in case you didn't know.
Ya I realize that. I also know Bill Carroll to be a very honest broadcaster with the highest of integrity who says it how it is.

He says he's used them for several projects & is very happy with them & has recommended them to friends & relatives.

Lots of businesses advertise on 640AM...don't hear a lot of the radio hosts make personal recommendations.

So if Bill's good with them and the reviews of them are all good on the internet......that's good enough for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
nielboy wrote: Ya I realize that. I also know Bill Carroll to be a very honest broadcaster with the highest of integrity who says it how it is.

He says he's used them for several projects & is very happy with them & has recommended them to friends & relatives.

Lots of businesses advertise on 640AM...don't hear a lot of the radio hosts make personal recommendations.

So if Bill's good with them and the reviews of them are all good on the internet......that's good enough for me.
When someone gets paid to recommend a company on the radio it's not a personal recommendation
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6503 posts
2640 upvotes
eonibm wrote: When someone gets paid to recommend a company on the radio it's not a personal recommendation
+1 with the above. Though I have no idea if GTA Cabinets is good or not. I'd also take Homestars reviews with a grain of salt.

We've used Sky Kitchen Cabinets on two separate occassions, very happy with the finished product and the install. Talk to Sukh, he's the owner and he's solid to deal with.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky