• May 5th, 2021 11:13 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham

Please recommend me a range hood

Hi there, I am currently doing a remodel of my kitchen

Been researching on the built in range hood for the past 10 hours but still can't decide on which range hood to choose.

I am planning on getting a 30 inch induction cooktop, do alot of asian stir fry and steaming on stove top. worried about steam damaging the cabinets.

My current hood is a 30 inch sakura 590cfm.

I have a 6inch duct.

I have narrowed down to the vent a hood dual blowers (need to modify to 8 inch duct) (kinda worried about the air quality thing with high cfm unit with airtight house, don't have air return unit)

or just get the victory 30 inch with 600 cfm or the 750 cfm one? the 750 cfm one need to modify to 8 inch duct as well (also don't know if i should get the q5 or the twister?)

What will u guys do in my case? cost is not a big concern, biggest concern is ease of cleaning and high enough power for the grease and steam

thanks so much in advance!
Images
  • image0.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg
  • image2.jpeg
  • image3.jpeg
18 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4808 posts
1743 upvotes
Please recommend me a range hood .... please search ... tons of threads on rangehoods.

I have been using Crown (800CFM) for 4.5 years ... hardly ever do I use it higher than third speed (6 speed levels) ... already suffice for cooking with a WOK
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jan 23, 2017
77 posts
38 upvotes
GTA
We have Vent A Hood...checks all your boxes. We love it and its much quieter than a Sakura/Pacific.
Just crack open a window when using it if you have concerns about return air.
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
PTFish wrote: We have Vent A Hood...checks all your boxes. We love it and its much quieter than a Sakura/Pacific.
Do you think is hard to clean? Read on another thread that it is a nightmare to clean
Jan 23, 2017
77 posts
38 upvotes
GTA
redflagjj wrote: Do you think is hard to clean? Read on another thread that it is a nightmare to clean
I think all fans are a PITA to clean but honestly find the Vent A Hood not too bad to clean. There are youtube videos you can watch to give you an idea what is involved. Maybe see if there are cleaning videos for the other model you have shortlisted to compare.

I also have seen the cleaning threads but to me "nightmare" is subjective....does the person hate cleaning, have an unrealistic expectation on how easy it should be cleaned (eg pull out some parts, wipe down and put back?), they do heavy oil cooking and clean it every few years so all the grease is caked on etc.

I will go by what my Boss says, she does not complain about cleaning it and she isn't a big cleaning person lol we both love the fact that it's quieter, sucks out the oil and smell with ease and we dont have to worry about our cabinets....minimal wiping and look just as new as when they were installed 5 years ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
redflagjj wrote: Do you think is hard to clean? Read on another thread that it is a nightmare to clean
Cleaning is one of the things Vent a Hood is great for. I've had one for 10 years and love it. We don't cook a lot of greasy stuff so haven't had to really do much more than regular wipe-downs but we do that probably weekly to stay on top of things.
Apr 19, 2018
251 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
PTFish wrote: We have Vent A Hood...checks all your boxes. We love it and its much quieter than a Sakura/Pacific.
ventahood all day
Don't worry be happy - Bob
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
Thanks everyone!

Ordered the ventahood

Changing my vent to 8 inch

My wife actually clean the hood every week

Our current sakura is actually pretty easy, my wife just take off the 2 steel nets and the 2 oil trays and place them in the dishwasher and wipe down the fans inside

But is very noisy and not strong enough
Apr 19, 2018
251 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
redflagjj wrote: Thanks everyone!

Ordered the ventahood

Changing my vent to 8 inch

My wife actually clean the hood every week

Our current sakura is actually pretty easy, my wife just take off the 2 steel nets and the 2 oil trays and place them in the dishwasher and wipe down the fans inside

But is very noisy and not strong enough
if you are getting a insert range hood, go for the pro-liner. I got it from Tim at Goemans. Nice guy to deal with. Make sure to use 9 gauge metal for ducting. no flexible piping. You can also use a backvent if your tight on space.
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
Prestonxavier wrote: if you are getting a insert range hood, go for the pro-liner. I got it from Tim at Goemans. Nice guy to deal with. Make sure to use 9 gauge metal for ducting. no flexible piping. You can also use a backvent if your tight on space.
Thank you, yes i am getting the insert.

https://www.ventahood.com/index.php/sup ... l=BH228SLD

Is this the proliner?

Thanks for the tip on the ducting, will let my contractor know
Apr 19, 2018
251 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
redflagjj wrote: Thank you, yes i am getting the insert.

https://www.ventahood.com/index.php/sup ... l=BH228SLD

Is this the proliner?

Thanks for the tip on the ducting, will let my contractor know
No that is not the pro liner. Here is the link to all the proliners. https://www.ventahood.com/index.php/pro ... del=BHPSLD

I recommend you go for this particular model which is what i also have --> https://www.ventahood.com/index.php/pro ... =BH234PSLD

A few things, by going to a wider insert at 34" it will ensure the range hood covers the entire stove top area. This is important to capture all cooking odours. Secondly, aim to get the 900 cfm model because its simply stronger than the 600 cfm model. Thirdly, make sure the bottom of the range hood is no higher than what is specified within the manual!. Lastly, if you want to save a few bucks, get the grey color range hood instead of the stainless. The grey doesn't show dirt as easily as the stainless steel.

I used this guy to install my rangehood (link below), he has done installs for ventahoods for big shops like tasco and goemans. His work was ok but there were a few hiccups in my install and i ended up helping him considerably with the install which is not what i expect when paying someone to do work for me. The problem was that he is a senior (roughly in his 70's). He charged me $350. If your install is simple, i would still recommend him. When doing the install, with him or someone else, i recommend trying to enlarge the existing vent hole if you can. If the existing vent hole isn't high enough consider the backvent. You will have to order the parts from ventahood. Make sure its authentic ventahood parts otherwise performance will be compromised.

https://www.facebook.com/ventahoodrepairs/

I hope this helps. I spent almost 6 months researching before making my decision on the rangehood. I'm very happy with the decision. Everyone who comes to my house is always surprised how quiet and powerful it is!
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
Prestonxavier wrote: No that is not the pro liner. Here is the link to all the proliners. https://www.ventahood.com/index.php/pro ... del=BHPSLD

I recommend you go for this particular model which is what i also have --> https://www.ventahood.com/index.php/pro ... =BH234PSLD

A few things, by going to a wider insert at 34" it will ensure the range hood covers the entire stove top area. This is important to capture all cooking odours. Secondly, aim to get the 900 cfm model because its simply stronger than the 600 cfm model. Thirdly, make sure the bottom of the range hood is no higher than what is specified within the manual!. Lastly, if you want to save a few bucks, get the grey color range hood instead of the stainless. The grey doesn't show dirt as easily as the stainless steel.

I used this guy to install my rangehood (link below), he has done installs for ventahoods for big shops like tasco and goemans. His work was ok but there were a few hiccups in my install and i ended up helping him considerably with the install which is not what i expect when paying someone to do work for me. The problem was that he is a senior (roughly in his 70's). He charged me $350. If your install is simple, i would still recommend him. When doing the install, with him or someone else, i recommend trying to enlarge the existing vent hole if you can. If the existing vent hole isn't high enough consider the backvent. You will have to order the parts from ventahood. Make sure its authentic ventahood parts otherwise performance will be compromised.

I hope this helps. I spent almost 6 months researching before making my decision on the rangehood. I'm very happy with the decision. Everyone who comes to my house is always surprised how quiet and powerful it is!
Wow thank you so much for the detailed response.

Never knew theres so much involved getting a range hood lol

This kitchen remodel is killing me
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
Prestonxavier wrote: No that is not the pro liner. Here is the link to all the proliners. https://www.ventahood.com/index.php/pro ... del=BHPSLD

able to purchase the exact model that you recommended and in 34" as well.

was the model that was in stock, what a coincidence!

thank you so much once again!

first time buying a range hood cost almost 2k...

my whole life have been buying sakuras in the $300 range (from the builders)

really surprised how much "better" appliances cost, have just been using what the builders gave for free usually.
Apr 19, 2018
251 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
redflagjj wrote: able to purchase the exact model that you recommended and in 34" as well.

was the model that was in stock, what a coincidence!

thank you so much once again!

first time buying a range hood cost almost 2k...

my whole life have been buying sakuras in the $300 range (from the builders)

really surprised how much "better" appliances cost, have just been using what the builders gave for free usually.
No worries on the tips. Like you my family also used sakura's and still do (in the basement), the sakura works good but nothing like a ventahood. Glad i could help. Remember to clean out the oil trap once a week. It's super easy, just wipe it down with soap and water and you are good to go. Next part for you will be to make sure it's installed correctly. Make sure the bottom is no higher than what is specified in the manual.

Did you find a installer?
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
Prestonxavier wrote: No worries on the tips. Like you my family also used sakura's and still do (in the basement), the sakura works good but nothing like a ventahood. Glad i could help. Remember to clean out the oil trap once a week. It's super easy, just wipe it down with soap and water and you are good to go. Next part for you will be to make sure it's installed correctly. Make sure the bottom is no higher than what is specified in the manual.

Did you find a installer?
I really want to try the ventahood when it is installed to compare if it is really worth the 1500 difference! Lol

Yes, the contractor that is building my kitchen cabinets is installing the ventahood for me, they are also modifying the thing to 8” . He installed ventahood before and i will be showing ur post to him to make sure he follows the instructions correctly
Apr 19, 2018
251 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
redflagjj wrote: I really want to try the ventahood when it is installed to compare if it is really worth the 1500 difference! Lol

Yes, the contractor that is building my kitchen cabinets is installing the ventahood for me, they are also modifying the thing to 8” . He installed ventahood before and i will be showing ur post to him to make sure he follows the instructions correctly
good luck. Make sure he uses no flexible piping. If you need a new 8" wall cap check out reversomatic. They are in vaughan i beleive. If you are backventing, you need to get the wall cap from ventahood.
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
114 posts
65 upvotes
Markham
Ok great thanks man!

Due to the lockdown, cant continue with the remodel currenty
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1167 posts
120 upvotes
Markham
Does anyone have a recommendation for getting a range hood installed?