Elgin, ON

Please Recommend Wifi Hardware for 2 Rural Structuress

Coles Notes:
1,500 sf, 2 level log home
Detached garage with finished loft, about 15 feet away, also log construction
Slow rural internet (up to* 25 mbps)
2 users
Would like wifi in both buildings

Would this be a good application for a mesh system?
Would a single router work?
Is this one of the scenarios where a range extender might actually make sense? They are almost never suggested.

Most reviews focus heavily on speeds, but any modern hardware will be faster than the available internet connection.
6 replies
Apr 29, 2018
806 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
From what I know, wifi can travel through wood pretty easily, and has trouble with cement. For a 1500sf house + garage, I am sure one router should be enough. Just put it midway.

The main issue with extenders is that, they only have 1 modem, which also receives the wifi from the main router and then sends to clients. Connecting via LAN will solve that
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1613 posts
463 upvotes
Elgin, ON
kramer1 wrote: From what I know, wifi can travel through wood pretty easily, and has trouble with cement. For a 1500sf house + garage, I am sure one router should be enough. Just put it midway.

The main issue with extenders is that, they only have 1 modem, which also receives the wifi from the main router and then sends to clients. Connecting via LAN will solve that
Thanks for the reply. You’re probably right. In that case, it seems like I really would not need a very expensive unit either, as our internet speed is low, and none of our devices are cutting edge. With only two users, our case does not seem very demanding.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9763 posts
2273 upvotes
Winnipeg
the eap 225 outdoor and eap225 for indoor. They can mesh if needed. try just the indoor eap225(onsale right now) indoor first just run it as an ap of your existing hardware and disable that hardware's wifi. See how well it works then if needed more for outside grab the 225outdoor.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1613 posts
463 upvotes
Elgin, ON
lead wrote: the eap 225 outdoor and eap225 for indoor. They can mesh if needed. try just the indoor eap225(onsale right now) indoor first just run it as an ap of your existing hardware and disable that hardware's wifi. See how well it works then if needed more for outside grab the 225outdoor.
The service provider wants to rent me wifi equipment, which I will decline, so it will need a router, as I expect to get a modem only.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9763 posts
2273 upvotes
Winnipeg
rkjredflag wrote: The service provider wants to rent me wifi equipment, which I will decline, so it will need a router, as I expect to get a modem only.

My first thought of your situation is not so much wifi but your isp of only 25mbps. With that I would consider and edge-x router and enable sqm and run 1 eap225 inside mounted on the top floor ceiling or high on the wall facing the direction of your garage other structures. See if you need to even bother with something outside.

But your gonna need some kinda router which support proper real sqm(smart cue management to fight congestion at wan) to balance 25 mbps well for your clients and sqm can really level bandwidth for a nice experience with limited bandwidth among multiple clients.

eap225 indoor is only 69.99
edg-x router is 66 bucks from here anyway

https://www.grandandtoy.com/en/product/ ... gKo8vD_BwE

edge-x is a very good router for sub 100 mbps with sqm management enabled. It even offers ad blocking if your up to copying and pasting some command lines in its settings. I would recommend you invest in adblocking. Or run adguard like this
https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/over ... nstruction
or nextdns
Or buy a pihole like a raspberry zero or any rapsberry pi you can find. Running an network wide adblock will keep your bandwidth free of ads and more responsive and enjoyable on limited isp packages.

Unless someone else knows of a decent all in one router with proper sqm support, very powerful wifi and very stable and cheaper that what I posted