• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 2:24 pm
41 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16868 posts
1723 upvotes
Thornhill
We've been asking for that for years. Many have complained about it. No real answer from RFD for it.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13633 posts
3690 upvotes
Montréal
Stupid feature of this site. Have some consistency RFD.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
The question is after you know, whats your action plan?
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote: The question is after you know, whats your action plan?
Based on what I've seen happen when people think they know who gave them a downvote, probably go through that entire persons history and downvote everything. People still don't realize that these don't mean anything towards a user, and are only attached to the topics. You could have 1 upvote and 10,000 downvotes on threads you've created and you'd still be at +1.

It's been a while since we've reviewed the system but I could see us turning them off for the non-Deal forums soon.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: Based on what I've seen happen when people think they know who gave them a downvote, probably go through that entire persons history and downvote everything. People still don't realize that these don't mean anything towards a user, and are only attached to the topics. You could have 1 upvote and 10,000 downvotes on threads you've created and you'd still be at +1.

It's been a while since we've reviewed the system but I could see us turning them off for the non-Deal forums soon.
Could we limit how many downvote one person can give per day? like in which scenario, you need downvote more than 20 per day
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote: Could we limit how many downvote one person can give per day? like in which scenario, you need downvote more than 20 per day
There's a combined up/down cap per day but nobody comes even close to it. Each month there are only a couple of instances of members abusing the system (although some people might say otherwise).
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
9684 posts
2219 upvotes
Winnipeg
hey I just got a downvote for a deal I posted and expired back in 2017??? :facepalm: ........if you ever wondered when or where you can use the term "some people". Point it to this post.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1991 posts
1677 upvotes
I actually think they should remove the down vote..

It makes RFD a more hostile community. It is completely unnecessary.

If the deal is hot, people up vote. If deal not hot it just stays normal. A deal may be hot for some and not for others. Some people also end up referring to an item that was on sale 2 to 3 months ago at lower price and then down votes the thread. Hello there is no time machine...

Why is there a need to down vote? I really think it makes this forum and community more hostile as it already is becoming.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1050 posts
492 upvotes
Problem is that sometimes a deal is actually rip off. No votes doesn't warn people.

Down votes for deals only, seems like a good compromise. No point in having down votes for other threads.
renegadeavenger wrote: I actually think they should remove the down vote..

It makes RFD a more hostile community. It is completely unnecessary.

If the deal is hot, people up vote. If deal not hot it just stays normal. A deal may be hot for some and not for others. Some people also end up referring to an item that was on sale 2 to 3 months ago at lower price and then down votes the thread. Hello there is no time machine...

Why is there a need to down vote? I really think it makes this forum and community more hostile as it already is becoming.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4441 posts
930 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think the upvotes system needs to be redone.

Personally, I use upvotes for 2 things: thanks, and "I found the deal hot". This makes the upvotes a bit skewed, as sometimes you don't really think the deal is hot, just want to thank OP.

Thanks and hot deal should be separated.

As for downvotes, I don't think it's needed, and like others have mentioned, would create hostility.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
enwhyRFD wrote: I think the upvotes system needs to be redone.

Personally, I use upvotes for 2 things: thanks, and "I found the deal hot". This makes the upvotes a bit skewed, as sometimes you don't really think the deal is hot, just want to thank OP.

Thanks and hot deal should be separated.

As for downvotes, I don't think it's needed, and like others have mentioned, would create hostility.
I think this is also for downvote as well. upvote or downvote for person or deal? A lot times, i saw people downvote or upvotes for person's efforts or opinion instead of deal.

Upvote or downvote just like or dislike, but can be any reason. Anyway, RFD doesn't use it for analysis
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13094 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
This thread has downvotes for no good reason: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pegabo-l ... d-2354281/

Who r these members doing the downvoting? Do u acknowledge that these negative ppl who can hid behind anonymity have a deleterious effect on RFD member participation and morale?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
[OP]
Member
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
251 upvotes
Becks wrote: This thread has downvotes for no good reason: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pegabo-l ... d-2354281/

Who r these members doing the downvoting? Do u acknowledge that these negative ppl who can hid behind anonymity have a deleterious effect on RFD member participation and morale?
I agree with this.

My hunch is we have trolls who have unhappy inner lives and find power in what they can. In this case downvotes.

I say reveal them for who they are, but that’s the judge in me speaking.

Sam
Be the change you want to see.

Top